Z9…A Need To Vent

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I used to do business with a small camera shop in my area but alas all the brick an mortar stores are all gone so I would have to drive 200 miles one way to find another one, or order online. B&H has been good to me with all my other purchases for the last 5 years so that was the reasoning behind buying from them again this time, they normally have really good customer service but for some reason they now seem allusive to my questions regarding when to expect my Z9 to ship and keep telling me they don't know when they will get it. Maybe that is Nikon and not them, if I could have bought from a local dealer I certainly would have but in my area their are no choices available now. I have heard rumors that Nikon was supposed to make a big shipment March 5th but that has come and gone and no more news from them, who knows maybe that shipment is stuck on a ship somewhere in the Pacific.
fwiw, another option for those who don’t have a local b&m is to order from nikon online.
My "local" store is 200 miles away in a different state. I just pick up the phone (yes, phones can still be used for making phone calls! ;)) and they take my order. No tax, free shipping. GREAT service! Bottom line, the consumer has choices......

I also am reluctant to support the local camera business after they offered me about 40% of the then current Nikon price on a little used D850 in perfect condition (purchased from B&H, complete with battery, charger, original box, etc.,) as a trade-in on a Z9. As a result I still have the D850 gathering dust while I continue to use my Z7. Anyway, I ordered a Z9 directly from Nikon after deciding that I would probably wait no longer than if I had ordered it from B&H (with whom I have had satisfactory dealings in the past and will continue to deal with in the future).
This is a tough call. You could sell an EX+ D850 today for around $1800-1900. They sell pretty quickly at that price. Used gear buyers from KEH, Adorama, Hunt's, Used Photo Pro, MBP, etc. are paying around $1350-1400 for the camera. Just keep in mind that they have to make a profit, they are on the hook for any repairs their inspection misses, they often have discounts on gear for sale, they provide an additional warranty of up to one year on used gear purchases, they are covering shipping from you and to the buyer, they incur credit card fees, and they have overhead, storage and handling costs. While you may not pay cash for all of those expenses, a private sale does take some time and effort on your part and there is a small risk that it will not go well.

I just finished selling about $30,000 worth of camera gear from a friend's estate. It was a lot of work with more than $2400 in repair costs and $800 in UPS charges alone - plus many hours of labor.

This is a tough call. You could sell an EX+ D850 today for around $1800-1900. They sell pretty quickly at that price. Used gear buyers from KEH, Adorama, Hunt's, Used Photo Pro, MBP, etc. are paying around $1350-1400 for the camera. Just keep in mind that they have to make a profit, they are on the hook for any repairs their inspection misses, they often have discounts on gear for sale, they provide an additional warranty of up to one year on used gear purchases, they are covering shipping from you and to the buyer, they incur credit card fees, and they have overhead, storage and handling costs. While you may not pay cash for all of those expenses, a private sale does take some time and effort on your part and there is a small risk that it will not go well.

I just finished selling about $30,000 worth of camera gear from a friend's estate. It was a lot of work with more than $2400 in repair costs and $800 in UPS charges alone - plus many hours of labor.
Ditto. I helped a widow (in another state!) last year sell her husband's gear: 3 cameras, 12 lenses, tripod, ball heads and gimbal, lots of flashes and 15 bags! We netted thousands of dollars, but the PayPal and packaging and shipping costs ate up a LOT of the sales. And the time spent examining the gear, taking photos, researching current used prices and listing the items was considerable also.

Last edited:
I ordered first day within 5 min of the Z9 hitting the B&H website and got the camera on Jan 30th. About a half hour after the B&H order, thought I should hedge my bet and ordered it again thru a smaller camera shop. Got a call yesterday that the second Z9 was available (pass to the next person please)! I don't like double ordering but remember the D850 debacle; Nikon has not learned anything from past launches. I think we are getting past initial NPS orders, first day backorders and resolving double/triple orders. That said, have the camera but still waiting on Z mount lenses.
And here I am with 2 of the 3 Z lenses I want, spare battery charger, spare batteries, fast cards, 2 FTZII's (one for my Z6II) and a Z 1.4 TC ... but no Z9 :)

My "local" store is 200 miles away in a different state. I just pick up the phone (yes, phones can still be used for making phone calls! ;)) and they take my order. No tax, free shipping. GREAT service! Bottom line, the consumer has choices......
I realize what you are saying but I have never done business with either of the 2 stores that are within 200 miles of me but I have done a ton of business with B&H for 30 plus years. Even when I had stores in my town I would occasionally do business with B&H just because they had what I needed at the moment when the local store did not and it was quicker or more convenient to buy from them. Like I said they have always treated me right and also have great customer service except for this time, IMHO.

I realize what you are saying but I have never done business with either of the 2 stores that are within 200 miles of me but I have done a ton of business with B&H for 30 plus years. Even when I had stores in my town I would occasionally do business with B&H just because they had what I needed at the moment when the local store did not and it was quicker or more convenient to buy from them. Like I said they have always treated me right and also have great customer service except for this time, IMHO.
I didn't do business with Murphy's.....until I did. For years it has been obvious that the mega stores, especially on line, get a HUGE number of pre-orders. Your choice is fine.....just don't be surprised by the wait.

I didn't do business with Murphy's.....until I did. For years it has been obvious that the mega stores, especially on line, get a HUGE number of pre-orders. Your choice is fine.....just don't be surprised by the wait.
Thanks for the tips, I am not so much surprised by the wait, (although I didn't really think it would be this long, almost 5 months), just a little disappointed with the seeming lack of concern for a company that has a lot of my money I guess. We used to have 2 really good brick and mortar stores in this area that were both within a 20 minute drive for me so I hated when they both closed down. Then again all of this is well and good, I was just commenting on a post about someone venting because it is taking so long to get what he feels should have already been delivered, in other words, I know the feeling and am getting a little antsy about getting mine also. I have only had one email letting me know that it is still on back order in that nearly 5 month period which is a little out of the ordinary for B&H. Once I get it, all of this will be a distant memory so there is always that!

Last edited:
You must be in middle Tennessee if you are doing business with Murphy's, maybe I need to check those guys out for future purchases

You must be in middle Tennessee if you are doing business with Murphy's, maybe I need to check those guys out for future purchases
There are a LOT of people doing business with Murphy's from many different states. I promise that they will take good care of you! Like I said, for normal purchases I use B&H. But for big, special items that are in HIGH demand, Murphy's is my go to store. When my Z9 and 100-400 came in, they even set aside a 1.4 tele for me, just in case I wanted it! No money up front, either. You are charged nothing until your order is in. ;)

There are a LOT of people doing business with Murphy's from many different states. I promise that they will take good care of you! Like I said, for normal purchases I use B&H. But for big, special items that are in HIGH demand, Murphy's is my go to store. When my Z9 and 100-400 came in, they even set aside a 1.4 tele for me, just in case I wanted it! No money up front, either. You are charged nothing until your order is in. ;)
I have never heard of this place until now but I can promise you one thing, I will certainly keep this in mind for any big purchases in the future. I have just been doing business with B&H for so long it never entered my mind to buy from someone else, except maybe direct from NIkon. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

I have been a Nikon user since 1969. FTN’s, Nikkormat, 8008S, N90S, 13 DSLR’s as well as countless lenses and accessories. I have only had 2 repairs on my equipment in all those years. I have never considered any other brand until today. If I could sell all my equipment and get enough to jump ship, I would do it without looking back. Just read another post on social media about another NPS member getting a second Z9 body from Nikon. This is simply bulls**t IMHO. I am not a whiner or crybaby by nature but after waiting in line for months my patience has worn very thin.
Thanks for listening.

Hear you and your right, NPS shouldn't get a second serving like that, they could be geting one for their mates, you dont know, move on.............the Z9 is out of date by the time you get it anyway.

Get in line for the Canon R 1, it feel it will blow the game apart, Canon is releasing 30 new lenses going forward, give Sony and Nikon world a miss they have the same genetics,

invest in a whole new era coming starting with the R1.

I like my Z9 for now but your not missing a lot.

Often good glass will give you better gains than the camera bodies............build your system from the glass up.
If you have the opportunity to change, its now.

Since at least November it has been pretty clear that the z9 would be the most in demand camera from Nikon in years. A lot of people set their alarms to log onto B&H as close to 8:00 as possible on 10/28, based solely on specs. Most of those who didn't figured out the wait was long sought other sources rather than waiting for B&H or Adorama to get enuf stock to satisfy the demand. To me, jumping ship because one didn't get his camera when he wanted and didn't appear to do anything to move that along makes no sense, let alone blaming Nikon. It's not a mature reaction.

I, too, started getting serious in 1969 with a new Canon and 3 prime lenses. Cost $330, including the flash when a Naval officer brought it back from Japan for me. I later switched to Nikon because Canon's electronics kept breaking, then to Contax because the cheap Nikon zooms of the time weren't sharp enough. I came back to Nikon with the D2x and never looked back after Contax went out of the digital business. Nikon has been a great company to buy from, and never had a bad camera or lens thereafter [no more 43-86mm zooms for me].

Find a small retailer with an extra camera or a short waiting list, and stay with your lenses and the product you know. There is very little the z9 can do that a z7ii can't, other than that silly BIF thing, and maybe shooting some sports. There are a lot of pros not using $5500 camera bodies, and taking great images. A few months from now, you will have forgetten the whole problem - it will take that long to figure out a Sony's menus anyway.:)

Since at least November it has been pretty clear that the z9 would be the most in demand camera from Nikon in years. A lot of people set their alarms to log onto B&H as close to 8:00 as possible on 10/28, based solely on specs. Most of those who didn't figured out the wait was long sought other sources rather than waiting for B&H or Adorama to get enuf stock to satisfy the demand. To me, jumping ship because one didn't get his camera when he wanted and didn't appear to do anything to move that along makes no sense, let alone blaming Nikon. It's not a mature reaction.

I, too, started getting serious in 1969 with a new Canon and 3 prime lenses. Cost $330, including the flash when a Naval officer brought it back from Japan for me. I later switched to Nikon because Canon's electronics kept breaking, then to Contax because the cheap Nikon zooms of the time weren't sharp enough. I came back to Nikon with the D2x and never looked back after Contax went out of the digital business. Nikon has been a great company to buy from, and never had a bad camera or lens thereafter [no more 43-86mm zooms for me].

Find a small retailer with an extra camera or a short waiting list, and stay with your lenses and the product you know. There is very little the z9 can do that a z7ii can't, other than that silly BIF thing, and maybe shooting some sports. There are a lot of pros not using $5500 camera bodies, and taking great images. A few months from now, you will have forgetten the whole problem - it will take that long to figure out a Sony's menus anyway.:)
Sadly my normal sources of small retailers has shrunk, as the one here in Boise went out of business, and a couple that yielded a D850 months before many who ordered from the big guys and ditto with a 500PF and recently a Z100-400 have told me they have no clue when they can get a Z9 for me ...so "making do" with my D850 and Z6II.

Back