Z9 Firmware 3.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hudson Henry just dropped another v3.0 update video --

Two more from a while ago - and a new Approaching the Scene vid that Hudson posted today as well.

All About Nikon Z9 Banks Video:

Z9 FW 3.0 and 3D tracking:

AND -- Approaching The Scene 224: Nikon Z System Evolution + Z9 Hybrid Focus & New Setup Video:​

Last edited:
So, even as Nikon NPS refused to give me access to Mark Cruz's presentation, I'm reading that there was nothing new. I guess I'm getting more from Hudson Henry <g>.

This week-end I'm shooting with a rebranded Z9 (using Brother P-Touch) and a red jacket. Need to get a grey or green jacket, that NFL red is a tad bright! <g>

Alistair or Dansch can you confirm this as the wording Nikon used is not completely explanatory - have you tried it yourselves ?
I have not Nicholas. I seldom ever use 3d. But Dansch's post is quite clear. The only notes of caution are that his conclusion was reached after "a little testing" and his definition of the "it" that has been fixed.

Tested today on some perched hummingbirds - I can confirm that the AF-ON/3D handoff works like in the older FW versions (pre 3.0).
Thanks for the info however - Does it work on other subjects that are not part of SD when handing of FROM wide-l/s regardless of whether SD was ON or OFF - basically As it was in version 2.1 - Do you know ?

I have tested it with a lot of objects that are not identified by the camera. Regardless of wether SD is on or off 3D on fn1 takes over when first focused with the Af-on button using area wide large or small placed anywhere in the viewfinder. Only pushing the fn1 button to focus with 3D plus Af-on also works perfectly.
I hope that answers your question.

Daniel

Last edited:
I have tested it with a lot of objects that are not identified by the camera. Regardless of wether SD is on or off 3D on fn1 takes over when first focused with the Af-on button using area wide or small placed anywhere in the viewfinder. Only pushing the fn1 button to focus with 3D plus Af-on also works perfectly.
I hope that answers your question.

Daniel
Now that’s exactly what I was asking for - thankyou for that info - so basically version 3.01 is as version 2.1 but better as it has extra features - yay!

I just downloaded Thom Hogan's latest edition of his Z9 ebook v3.01: this 4th edition is the 3rd thorough update in just over 1 year.... The new intro section [excerpt below] continues for over 2 more pages listing all the new changes required to update since the latest paired firmware 3.** updates. [edited]

This frequency of firmware updates underscores how Nikon has changed its strategy of upgrading its current high-end ILCs. Besides challenges for the photographer, it's even more work for the committed reviewer - as also judged by the need for Steve's updates of his Z9 book!

As we know, the Z6/Z7 cameras pioneered Nikon's switch to software upgrades to add new/update features. We're seeing a change of pace in these upgrades, and particularly how they impact on how the photographer uses the camera. The significant upgrades have not only changed the intricacies of important features and their setup etc.... and in many cases how the Z9 performs. Judging by the Z9, it's clear - if this rate of change persists - we can expect the modern camera to evolve into a moving target, which one has to keep learning to keep up to date with!

Capture.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I just downloaded Thom Hogan's latest edition of his Z9 ebook v3.01: this 4th edition is the 3rd thorough update in just over 1 year.... The new intro section [excerpt below] continues for over 2 more pages listing all the new changes demanded by the latest paired firmware 3.** updates

This frequency of firmware updates underscores how Nikon has changed its strategy of upgrading its current high-end ILCs. Besides challenges for the photographer, it's even more work for the committed reviewer - as also judged by the need for Steve's updates of his Z9 book!

As we know, the Z6/Z7 cameras pioneered Nikon's switch to software upgrades to add new/update features. We're seeing a change of pace in these upgrades, and particularly how they impact on how the photographer uses the camera. The significant upgrades not only has changed the intricacies of important features and their setup etc.... and in many cases how the Z9 performs. Judging by the Z9, it's clear - if this rate of change persists - we can expect the modern camera to evolve into a moving target, which one has to keep learning to keep up to date with!
In view of their difficulties in delivering product in the last couple of years my bet is that the firmware updates are more likely acts of desperation than indications of a sea change in corporate philosophy. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

In view of their difficulties in delivering product in the last couple of years my bet is that the firmware updates are more likely acts of desperation than indications of a sea change in corporate philosophy. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

A rather cynical and unsubstantiated opinion...time will, of course, either confirm or deny. Given the firmware updates lately, it's not only the high-end products. Matt Irwin had a good point in one of his more recent video's that, to some extent, they've been upgrading firmware sequentially from oldest to newer. Seems to have some logic to it. I have no firm data on what any of the other manufacturers are doing with regards to firmware or how frequent their updates might be, others can comment on that. It does seem through what I encounter through various "news" sources that Nikon may very well be the most active in this area.

There a great many variables in the supply chains of electronic manufacturers and gone are the days when a substantial percentage of the components required to build film or digital camera might be built in-house. Another factor is that many companies are re-structuring their manufacturing and supply chains to be less dependent on which way the wind blows in China. As evidenced by Nikon moving some manufacturing back to the homeland...and they're not alone in this. Doing so is likely going to be somewhat chaotic and take several years because much of it may not have been foreseen as part of a long-term plan.

Color me very pleased that, for whatever reason, Nikon is investing in bug fixes and upgrades rather than ignoring issues and saving upgrade possibilities for the next new model.

Cheers!

That's a unique perspective. Have you looked at the frequency of updates for other technology product? Apple's updates are endless - and rarely have meaningful benefit. The apps on my phone and laptop are constantly being updated.

In the software business, you can never develop everything that is needed without bugs or changes are release. There is functionality that is planned for development at initial release that everyone knows will be updated later. There are enhancements and adjustments required that optimize performance under specific situations or prevent problems. Operating system updates often require adjustments to applications. Most organizations have a schedule for planned updates before they know what is in the software update. That's certainly the case with Microsoft and all companies running MS products. Planning in advance allows you to schedule all the people involved in testing, communication, rollout and support.

A rather cynical and unsubstantiated opinion...time will, of course, either confirm or deny...
Certainly unsubstantiated. As are all of our opinions on such topics. Nikon would have communicate a bit more openly for us to do more than guess. Cynical? By the literal definition probably so. By the common use of the term? Well I guess that depends on whether someone is a glass half full/empty sort of personality.

That's a unique perspective. Have you looked at the frequency of updates for other technology product?...
Not sure how unique it is. We all look at the same data and come away with different conclusions. The recent frequency of firmware updates by Nikon is an historic anomaly. And is happening concurrently with an historic inability to satisfy demand and an unusually slow pace of releasing new (digital)cameras. I'm the first to admit and often the first to point out that correlation doesn't mean causation. But Nikon's history leads me to connect those dots. On the other hand you bring up a good point w/respect to software/firmware updates by other tech companies. MILC are much more soft/firmware intensive so maybe this is the new norm. Per above only time will tell. Unless Nikon turns over a new leaf in PR comms :unsure:

At any rate we are all currently beneficiaries of this new behavior from Nikon. And none of us are promised tomorrow. So far be it from me to thump a free melon.

So far be it from me to thump a free melon.
Sage advice. And never return it, either.

One area often overlooked is the legal side of product design/progress. Sometimes, a product release is delayed when the legal team looks into whether or not the public release of a product will trigger litigation against them.

With all of the intricacies of modern digital cameras, it would surprise me if some features of camera sub-systems are not delayed in their implementation by such.

The recent frequency of firmware updates by Nikon is an historic anomaly. And is happening concurrently with an historic inability to satisfy demand and an unusually slow pace of releasing new (digital)cameras.
You touch on major reason why I jumped to getting a Z9, when I usually wait for version 2 of any new product. This is the data I saw:
  • Nikon has historically released flagship cameras at a slow pace - every 4 yrs or so maybe.
  • This is Nikon's first entry into the mirrorless world. This would be their F1 for the new era. Making a statement is important to their company culture/history.
  • Nikon was, as they (too) often recently were/are, coming from behind - playing catchup to other makers. They needed to 'hit a home run'
  • Being in software dev for a long time, I knew that the initial release would need "improvements" that could be done via firmware (which is a type of software) updates
  • It would be _highly_ in their interest to not only have the Z9 at the top of the flagship heap, but to _keep_ it at the top of that heap for years.
  • The Z9 having no mechanical shutter, moved this camera even more into the software world - presenting new opportunties for innovation that no other maker could match.
Putting that together, I predicted Nikon would be very proactive in putting out firmware updates, to not only fix any bugs, but to make enhancements to keep them on par/ahead of the competition - at least for the lifecycle of this version of the Z9.

And I'm very happy to say they have even exceeded my expectations in this, and I anticipate more improvements to come.

Cheers!

...Dave...

Certainly unsubstantiated. As are all of our opinions on such topics. Nikon would have communicate a bit more openly for us to do more than guess. Cynical? By the literal definition probably so. By the common use of the term? Well I guess that depends on whether someone is a glass half full/empty sort of personality.

Not sure how unique it is. We all look at the same data and come away with different conclusions. The recent frequency of firmware updates by Nikon is an historic anomaly. And is happening concurrently with an historic inability to satisfy demand and an unusually slow pace of releasing new (digital)cameras. I'm the first to admit and often the first to point out that correlation doesn't mean causation. But Nikon's history leads me to connect those dots. On the other hand you bring up a good point w/respect to software/firmware updates by other tech companies. MILC are much more soft/firmware intensive so maybe this is the new norm. Per above only time will tell. Unless Nikon turns over a new leaf in PR comms :unsure:

At any rate we are all currently beneficiaries of this new behavior from Nikon. And none of us are promised tomorrow. So far be it from
You touch on major reason why I jumped to getting a Z9, when I usually wait for version 2 of any new product. This is the data I saw:
  • Nikon has historically released flagship cameras at a slow pace - every 4 yrs or so maybe.
  • This is Nikon's first entry into the mirrorless world. This would be their F1 for the new era. Making a statement is important to their company culture/history.
  • Nikon was, as they (too) often recently were/are, coming from behind - playing catchup to other makers. They needed to 'hit a home run'
  • Being in software dev for a long time, I knew that the initial release would need "improvements" that could be done via firmware (which is a type of software) updates
  • It would be _highly_ in their interest to not only have the Z9 at the top of the flagship heap, but to _keep_ it at the top of that heap for years.
  • The Z9 having no mechanical shutter, moved this camera even more into the software world - presenting new opportunties for innovation that no other maker could match.
Putting that together, I predicted Nikon would be very proactive in putting out firmware updates, to not only fix any bugs, but to make enhancements to keep them on par/ahead of the competition - at least for the lifecycle of this version of the Z9.

And I'm very happy to say they have even exceeded my expectations in this, and I anticipate more improvements to come.

Cheers!

...Dave...
Please ignore this post! Lol

Last edited:
I was at the leading edge of Nikon's major shift from DSLR's to MILC's when I got my Z7 at the beginning of October 2018 and initially I really battled with what I perceived as the limitations of the Z7 compared with the D850. However, I persevered with the Z7 and by the time Nikon released the second Z7 firmware update I had adjusted to the mindset that I was no longer using a camera incorporating electronics (DSLR) but a computer designed to take pictures and video (MILC). This mindset was further reinforced when I got my Z9 just before the FW2.00 update last year.

Regardless of Nikon's business plan for their imaging division and related internal decision making processes it is therefore perfectly logical to me that Nikon are emulating the computer software industry by releasing each MILC camera body with a reasonable set of features in a timely manner and then where necessary and/or justified and/or possible within the limitations of the on-board processor further adds to and/or improves those features via firmware updates over time.

Personally I am delighted each time Nikon releases a firmware update for one of my MILC's and I have no problem with the prospect of any additional learning curve that might be necessary due to the update.

Back