Z9 Firmware 3.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have not had as much of a problem with 3D as others have reported ... however I have found that after 3.0 Auto Area AF with subject detect animal and tracking on have been far better than before and I have been using it instead of 3D with good results.
It's an odd dichotomy - I too think that subject detection works better than before, however, when the camera loses the target it REALLY loses the target! However, if subject detection stays active and on-track, I think it is better than before. Also, I too have found Auto AF is better as well.

FWIW, I tried different tracking setups with 3D and none of it changed the bug I was seeing during controlled tests. I tried shutter release AF couple with 3D + AF-On on the AF-On button as well as my standard configuration of 3D (no AF) on Fn1/3 and AF on the AF-On button. Both were the same.
Steve I have found that backbutton focus ONLY - set AF-ON in custom menu to AF-ON (nothing else) and FN1 set to 3D, FN2 and FN3 anything else you like. When you set the focus to dynamic or single point for main focus (hence it will automatically assign that focus to your backbutton af-on button - as you know) - then the 3D button works.
It seems it does not work well if primary focus is wide-L / S or AREA af (hence it will automatically assign wide/area focus to your backbutton af-on button) - subject detection ON or OFF makes no difference (although someone on YouTube said setting it to AUTO (people/animal/vehicle) works a little better for some reason - I dont know as I have reverted to V2.1)
Unfortunately its mainly the wide-l that I want to hand off to 3D and that does not work in V3 only V2.

Yesterday I have found a concern after going to 3.0 and today I confirmed it. I was shooting deer and noticed the big moon to the east. Changed exposure comp to -3.5 and snapped the moon a few times. Went back to 0 compensation. All the photos following the moon were very dark. The NX Studio show I was at 0 before and after the moon images.
Did the same today, making darn sure I went to 0 exposure compensation after the moon, but all photos after the moon were very dark.
So I assume if I use the exposure compensation, I'll shut down the camera, pull the battery, do a dance and call a few friends, then hope the camera will be back to 0 compensation. Very upset about this as I lost buck photos both evenings. This is the first concern I have had with this camera.
Charles, could you have inadvertently pressed exposure lock?

Steve I have found that backbutton focus ONLY - set AF-ON in custom menu to AF-ON (nothing else) and FN1 set to 3D, FN2 and FN3 anything else you like. When you set the focus to dynamic or single point for main focus (hence it will automatically assign that focus to your backbutton af-on button - as you know) - then the 3D button works.
It seems it does not work well if primary focus is wide-L / S or AREA af (hence it will automatically assign wide/area focus to your backbutton af-on button) - subject detection ON or OFF makes no difference (although someone on YouTube said setting it to AUTO (people/animal/vehicle) works a little better for some reason - I dont know as I have reverted to V2.1)
Unfortunately its mainly the wide-l that I want to hand off to 3D and that does not work in V3 only V2.
I had a consisntat target yesterday (a speaker in my office) that has a little logo on it. in 3D with subject detection, I could place the AF area on the logo all day and it would wander around each time. When I turned off subject detection, it stuck really well. The problem is, there are a lot of variables in both testing and testers, but I do think there is an issue that Nikon needs to address sooner rather than later.

I had a consisntat target yesterday (a speaker in my office) that has a little logo on it. in 3D with subject detection, I could place the AF area on the logo all day and it would wander around each time. When I turned off subject detection, it stuck really well. The problem is, there are a lot of variables in both testing and testers, but I do think there is an issue that Nikon needs to address sooner rather than later.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but subject detection works only for people/animals/cars. If it can't detect any of those it won't work, so if you're photographing a scene without detectable subjects you should have the subject detection off (at least that's my understanding with fw3.0).

Yes I agree many variables - As I said 3D in the scenario I gave early only sticks if primary focus AF-ON was NOT an area mode, then my FN1 3D button sticks, otherwise it will not stick even if subject detection was turned OFF - weird !

Correct me if I'm wrong - but subject detection works only for people/animals/cars. If it can't detect any of those it won't work, so if you're photographing a scene without detectable subjects you should have the subject detection off (at least that's my understanding with fw3.0).
Yes, subject detection only works with the subjects you mention.

However, the camera should return to normal operation of the AF area when no subject is detected - it shouldn't wander around. The danger is that sometimes when you are on a subject the camera recognizes, it turns or moves in a way the camera doesn't understand and it stops recognizing that subject. In that instant when shooting 3D, you want 3D to work the way it normally does so the camera can hang onto the target until it recognizes the subject again. The way it works now (3.0), if something happens and the camera fails to recognize the subject for a moment, it's anyone's guess where the 3D AF area will go. I saw this happen multiple times in the wild and I lost a LOT of locks I otherwise would have kept.

Yes, subject detection only works with the subjects you mention.

However, the camera should return to normal operation of the AF area when no subject is detected - it shouldn't wander around. The danger is that sometimes when you are on a subject the camera recognizes, it turns or moves in a way the camera doesn't understand and it stops recognizing that subject. In that instant when shooting 3D, you want 3D to work the way it normally does so the camera can hang onto the target until it recognizes the subject again. The way it works now (3.0), if something happens and the camera fails to recognize the subject for a moment, it's anyone's guess where the 3D AF area will go. I saw this happen multiple times in the wild and I lost a LOT of locks I otherwise would have kept.
I’m sorry to hear that Steve, thats exactly my take on it, its sometimes very unpredictable, thats why when I had v3 installed I had to constantly press my FN2 button for dynamic focusing.

Steve, ref #332, yes that is what is disconcerting. I tried different Focus Tracking with lock on, and it appears contrarian to the Olympus M1X. viz: https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z9/en/15_menu_guide_04_a03.html

I'm used to the 3D style tracking using Wide-area AF (C1) or (C2), that follows the theoretical tragectory of the moving subject.

The [Focus tracking with lock-on] fails, but slightly better when set towards quick "1". I would have expected delayed "5", to keep track and not quickly search.... I need to listen to Mark Cruz on Nov 10th. It's should be a courtesy to listen in if requested by a Z9 owner, ... at least to know that it's futile to resolve at this juncture - rather than wate time trying to solve the problem. I'm not amused.... what is worse, is that when locked on, and I see that in NX Studio focus point location, it will blur for no reason on one frame while the red focus point is still following. Sharp sequence, then pop blurr >> next image back in focus. I do shoot at 20fps 1/1600.

A side comment. Focus is AWFUL in the rain.

Steve, ref #332, yes that is what is disconcerting. I tried different Focus Tracking with lock on, and it appears contrarian to the Olympus M1X. viz: https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z9/en/15_menu_guide_04_a03.html

I'm used to the 3D style tracking using Wide-area AF (C1) or (C2), that follows the theoretical tragectory of the moving subject.

The [Focus tracking with lock-on] fails, but slightly better when set towards quick "1". I would have expected delayed "5", to keep track and not quickly search.... I need to listen to Mark Cruz on Nov 10th. It's should be a courtesy to listen in if requested by a Z9 owner, ... at least to know that it's futile to resolve at this juncture - rather than wate time trying to solve the problem. I'm not amused.... what is worse, is that when locked on, and I see that in NX Studio focus point location, it will blur for no reason on one frame while the red focus point is still following. Sharp sequence, then pop blurr >> next image back in focus. I do shoot at 20fps 1/1600.

A side comment. Focus is AWFUL in the rain.
Yeah, I think I'll just stick with my a1 for anything critical for now (not that I'm doing much at the moment, so no biggie). I'm sure Nikon will have a fix soon, or try to convince us it's a feature and not a bug :)

I think ... not sure ... the last time it locked up, I pressed by accident the vertical grip release (which was turned on) while chimping or doing some other manipulation.

Maybe a gravity sensor to stop the vertical grip from working if horizontal?? The issue is that I have a Cotton style strap, which I use often with my hand OVER the strap, so it pushes on the vertical release inadvertently from the weight and camera body torque in my hang.

I think the lock ups are due to mis manipulations that the engineers never imagined would occur in the field or 3rd party add ons. The strap is connected to a Smallrig #3714 Arca style L bracket.

Last edited:
I've had my Z9 lock up several times since updating to V3. The image went totally dark, either on the screen or thru the view finder on several occasions over the past 2 weeks. I could marginally see a very bright light on the screen or thru the view finder yet I could view the main menu but not review any of the pictures on my memory card. I would turned the camera off then on and finally removed the battery. After several attempts I was back to normal. Today no matter what I did the Z9 wouldn't restore to normal even changing lenses. I called Nikon and they advised me to do a factory reset and I restored my program. So far so good, I've attached a picture of my screen and I'll keep you advised.
20221108_164520_01.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Yeah, I think I'll just stick with my a1 for anything critical for now (not that I'm doing much at the moment, so no biggie). I'm sure Nikon will have a fix soon, or try to convince us it's a feature and not a bug :)

Usually it would be the latter, but seeing Nikon’s recent commitment really spark some hope.

This feature is really useful for panning as previously going to low shutter speed will result in lag or choppy view which makes panning shot harder.

This is a well thought out feature and a very specific one which leads me to think that Nikon is listening to a few pro sport photographer rather than the majority of prosumer.

Release Timing Indicator.... This one stumps me. Purpose? Benefit? When to use? Example of with and without?
try doing a slow shutter panning shot like at 1/40 without or with this feature. The latter will be much easier as the screen you see is without lag or choppiness. It’s being replace with blackout which feels more natural. In short, it is easier to do slow shutter speed panning using this feature.

Last edited:
Usually it would be the latter, but seeing Nikon’s recent commitment really spark some hope.

This feature is really useful for panning as previously going to low shutter speed will result in lag or choppy view which makes panning shot harder.

This is a well thought out feature and a very specific one which leads me to think that Nikon is listening to a few pro sport photographer rather than the majority of prosumer.
It's funny, I was testing this feature out the other day. For me, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference until I'm really going slow - like 1/10th of a second. Even then, I seem to be able to keep my target in place in the viewfinder 95% as well with the normal feed as I can with the blackout. I think this one might come down to personal preference - or maybe even what you watch while panning.

Looks like Nikon is keeping the update 3.0 'features' to a clique, and the working users in the field in the dark as to what works or needs elucidation. As I mentioned, "I'm not amused". Rebranding my Z9 to match the white lenses around me for next week-end.

I normally update immediately, but have just not got round to this one. Fourteen pages of discussion lead me to the conclusion that I should wait for the next update to resolve some of the issues.
Well, 14 pages of something. But if you just need to get images and footage, it is a great upgrade. I have put 20k images and quite a lot of video on it over the past few days for an important conservation project which cannot be repeated and it's is performing flawlessly.
I am not diminishing the inconvenience caused to those who cannot genuinely work around the bugs but I do recommend that folk fully understand them and determine whether they are personally impacted. Because outside the 14 pages, IMHO it is a great release.

I updated, and found some features timely that should have been in v1.0 (eg: FX > DX quick toggle), but that is the march of time and progress. Reminds me of 5 years of research by the engineer, with the boss saying: "Why did you not do this the first time?"

My issue NOW is that there are known issues that are kept among the few, while I try to figure out if they are bugs, or a failure on my part to understand as I waste my time experimenting, all while sporting 'the logo' advert on the camera at events, and 'the logo' not sharing.

It's funny, I was testing this feature out the other day. For me, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference until I'm really going slow - like 1/10th of a second. Even then, I seem to be able to keep my target in place in the viewfinder 95% as well with the normal feed as I can with the blackout. I think this one might come down to personal preference - or maybe even what you watch while panning.
I think your skill level and experience counts as well, the camera just try to help you get there easier. I was testing in quite close proximity using the 500pf where I needed to “whip pan” as the subject was very close to where I shot, it was a short test but I did find it easier with the blackout more than without.

Subject was biker rather than animal.

12A1A054-5D72-494B-8E34-154500690E70.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

There can be little doubt that the leading camera brands have ensured that Subject Detection works "best" with Human Targets and, as seen, even when wearing crash helmets and other paraphernalia (make up etc) that can disguise the subject. I have found the Z9 and yes the Z6ii work great when shooting humans.

The only way I would get anything close to what you guys are saying is going on with 3d tracking is if its on the af on button and set to af-on +3d. I think that jumpiness has to do with telling the camera to focus in 3d mode before the 3d has a chance to look at what its supposed to lock onto. Think about it. youre instantly asking the camera to identify what to lock onto without first "showing it" what to lock onto all while asking it to focus and move the focus box. I think there needs to be an order that things happen inside the camera for 3d to work effectively. First the camera needs to be "looking" where the 3d box is and for that to happen the software needs to engage 3d mode on top of the current focus point which it might not be doing outside of subject detection or single point or dynamic.... the trouble is by default the 3d box wants to appear where you last centered the focus. If your focus mode before engaging 3d is using 10 focus points where should the 3d box appear? Its very difficult to explain but in my head it makes total sense that switching focus modes, engaging tracking, changing focus point location, and engaging AF all at the same instant would be confusing to just about any computer. That being said it could be fixed as simply as programing in a hierarchy when af-on+3d is engaged.

Hudson Henry just dropped another v3.0 update video -- "affter nearly a year of using the Z9 all over the world and updating my firmware multiple times, I’ve come up with a few new settings changes since creating my original four part setup video series. Here is a video to show you how I’ve tweaked my settings and why. "

This is supported by a series of videos that Hudson made a few months ago:

Nikon Z9 Setup Video Bank A + Menu Guide:

Nikon Z9 setup Video Bank B:

Nikon Z9 setup Video Bank C:

Nikon Z9 setup Video Bank D:

Last edited:
Back