Z9 photo thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here are two links to some bald eagle photos I took along the Mississippi River this week. Near Red Wing Minnesota, in an area where the river has open water even in winter.

I used the Z9 + FTZII + 500 mm PF + 2x TCIII. The birds were not close, so I wanted more focal length. I also wanted to try the 500 mm PF + 2x TC on the Z9. I have used that combo on the Z7II and found the optics good enough to be useful (better than cropping) at least in good light, but it was too slow for flying birds, even the larger, slower ones. (I have also used the Z9 with the 500 mm PF and the 1.4x TCIII and 1.7x TCII. Those worked well too.)

The 500 mm PF and 2x TC worked quite well on the Z9. Much better than on the Z7II. (And of course, given the combination is f11, it would not AF on my D500 and D850). I know that eagles are larger and slower birds, but I was still impressed with the performance. And there is some depth of field with f11.

I was using Wide Area Large, with animal subject detection. 1/3200 and f11 (wide open for this combo). -0.3 exposure comp. Auto ISO. High efficiency raw*. Converted in ACR, without sharpening. Noise reduction and sharpening in PS with Topaz Denoise and Sharpen plugins.

Even though I was shooting at 1000 mm, the photos are significantly cropped.

I acquired focus and followed the birds with Wide Area Large. The birds were far enough away that the camera did not find eyes (and probably did not need to). It found the head or whatever part of the body I had in the focus box. I had some photos where the focus point was on the feet (checked in Nikon NX Studio). I thought it was odd the camera picked the feet, then I remembered what mode I was in and that’s where I had the focus box trying to follow the birds.

These two sets are the closest fishing passes I got. The wind was blowing out from shore behind me, so the birds were often facing me (or at least not facing away) when they grabbed fish. But the Mississippi is a big river and most of the fishing was out in the middle or further. I also got lots of shots of eagles flying by. Practicing to get to know the Z9. Like it a lot so far.

Last edited:
I got a call Friday evening from a buddy asking if I could assist with a Dog Agility shoot starting @ 7:30 Saturday AM. I figured it would be a great chance to test the Z9, so I jumped at the chance. He said "It's really poor light in the arena, so 70-200 (locked at F2.8) is a must and I should plan on at least 8k ISO or higher in order to get enough SS for decent results.

This was the first time I've tried this and would love to go back and build on what I learned. What a blast it was, and the Z9 handled the event FAR better than "I did"! Two days removed, my calves are still "on fire"! Lol....

1/1250, F2.8, ISO 8000
20220129 PDM Z9 70-200, DAWG Event-1568 by Phil McKinney, on Flickr

1/1250, F2.8, ISO 6400
20220129 PDM Z9 70-200, DAWG Event-4008 by Phil McKinney, on Flickr

1/1000, F2.8, ISO 8000
20220129 PDM Z9 70-200, DAWG Event-4508 by Phil McKinney, on Flickr

1/1250, F2.8, ISO 8000 - See my Eye?
20220129 PDM Z9 70-200, DAWG Event-1453 by Phil McKinney, on Flickr

1/1250, F2.8, ISO 8000
20220129 PDM Z9 70-200, DAWG Event-2366 by Phil McKinney, on Flickr

Here are two links to some bald eagle photos I took along the Mississippi River this week. Near Red Wing Minnesota, in an area where the river has open water even in winter.

Fantastic series Bill. I'd have to agree, the Z9 tracked it quite well! Nice work.

Great shots. I shot dog agility for a few years and I wish I had the current generation of cameras when I did! Poor lighting in these indoor arenas is a common theme, the ones I used to shoot in I was @ISO6400-10000 and 1/640th.. this was when ISO6400 was kind of the the limit that you wanted to go.

I used the Z9 + FTZII + 500 mm PF + 2x TCIII. The birds were not close, so I wanted more focal length. I also wanted to try the 500 mm PF + 2x TC on the Z9. I have used that combo on the Z7II and found the optics good enough to be useful (better than cropping) at least in good light, but it was too slow for flying birds, even the larger, slower ones. (I have also used the Z9 with the 500 mm PF and the 1.4x TCIII and 1.7x TCII. Those worked well too.)

The 500 mm PF and 2x TC worked quite well on the Z9. Much better than on the Z7II. (And of course, given the combination is f11, it would not AF on my D500 and D850). I know that eagles are larger and slower birds, but I was still impressed with the performance. And there is some depth of field with f11.

I was using Wide Area Large, with animal subject detection. 1/3200 and f11 (wide open for this combo). -0.3 exposure comp. Auto ISO. High efficiency raw*. Converted in ACR, without sharpening. Noise reduction and sharpening in PS with Topaz Denoise and Sharpen plugins.

Even though I was shooting at 1000 mm, the photos are significantly cropped.

I acquired focus and followed the birds with Wide Area Large. The birds were far enough away that the camera did not find eyes (and probably did not need to). It found the head or whatever part of the body I had in the focus box. I had some photos where the focus point was on the feet (checked in Nikon NX Studio). I thought it was odd the camera picked the feet, then I remembered what mode I was in and that’s where I had the focus box trying to follow the birds.

These two sets are the closest fishing passes I got. The wind was blowing out from shore behind me, so the birds were often facing me (or at least not facing away) when they grabbed fish. But the Mississippi is a big river and most of the fishing was out in the middle or further. I also got lots of shots of eagles flying by. Practicing to get to know the Z9. Like it a lot so far.

Someone else posted their success with that combo, and these are great. Picked up a TC2iii and hope to mimic this setup in three weeks. I tried it with a D4 which simply refused to focus.

One of my favorites with the Z9 so far that I missed with my Shorebird Flight post
1bcg_09Z7090.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
. Semipalmated Plover

Last edited:
I use LR for all my initial adjustment and cropping and then for anything ISO 2500 and under I use Topaz Denoise on Standard Auto settings. For ISO 3200 and up I sometimes use DXO Pure RAW instead of Topaz.

Thanks. Based on what I was looking at from your files, it looked like a direct Lightroom import. I'm still surprised at how poorly Adobe handles NEF files.

First "not-work" shot. Z9 + Z 50/1.8S. That is one sharp lens.

The statue is by Jacob Loutshansky, French-Russion artist, 1934 after his first visit to the American West.

Looking forward to posting my first nature shot in three weeks.

Img144.jpg

_DSC7768.jpg
_DSC8043-2.jpg
_DSC8019.jpg
_DSC7150.jpg
_DSC7212.jpg

Took the dog for a walk to a spring fed lake he loves to play in. grabbed the Z9 with the 300PF and 1.4TC "just in case" and I have to say I've very impressed with the tracking and image quality coming from the combination. Both shots were at ISO 1250 and wide open.

_Z996865-Edit.jpg
_Z996807.jpg

Back