Z9 photo thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here are two links to some bald eagle photos I took along the Mississippi River this week. Near Red Wing Minnesota, in an area where the river has open water even in winter.

I used the Z9 + FTZII + 500 mm PF + 2x TCIII. The birds were not close, so I wanted more focal length. I also wanted to try the 500 mm PF + 2x TC on the Z9. I have used that combo on the Z7II and found the optics good enough to be useful (better than cropping) at least in good light, but it was too slow for flying birds, even the larger, slower ones. (I have also used the Z9 with the 500 mm PF and the 1.4x TCIII and 1.7x TCII. Those worked well too.)

The 500 mm PF and 2x TC worked quite well on the Z9. Much better than on the Z7II. (And of course, given the combination is f11, it would not AF on my D500 and D850). I know that eagles are larger and slower birds, but I was still impressed with the performance. And there is some depth of field with f11.

I was using Wide Area Large, with animal subject detection. 1/3200 and f11 (wide open for this combo). -0.3 exposure comp. Auto ISO. High efficiency raw*. Converted in ACR, without sharpening. Noise reduction and sharpening in PS with Topaz Denoise and Sharpen plugins.

Even though I was shooting at 1000 mm, the photos are significantly cropped.

I acquired focus and followed the birds with Wide Area Large. The birds were far enough away that the camera did not find eyes (and probably did not need to). It found the head or whatever part of the body I had in the focus box. I had some photos where the focus point was on the feet (checked in Nikon NX Studio). I thought it was odd the camera picked the feet, then I remembered what mode I was in and that’s where I had the focus box trying to follow the birds.

These two sets are the closest fishing passes I got. The wind was blowing out from shore behind me, so the birds were often facing me (or at least not facing away) when they grabbed fish. But the Mississippi is a big river and most of the fishing was out in the middle or further. I also got lots of shots of eagles flying by. Practicing to get to know the Z9. Like it a lot so far.

Bill, Incredible series!! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

820D0EB5-2F4D-4984-84E0-1DE4D1B52421.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

My first post on this forum :D

z9 + 500PF ! 26 shots, all in focus :)

greetings from holland! - jelle

All were with the Z9 + 500mm PF
The Pine Warbler (1st pic) and the Yellow Rumped Warbler (last pic) were with the 1.4tciii as well

_DSC0479.jpg
index.php
_DSC8645.jpg
_DSC9654-4.jpg
_DSC0455.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC9211.jpg
    _DSC9211.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:
Here are a few from a recent trip to Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. All taken with Z9 and 500pf. I had the 1.4 TC on for the wolf photos and the sheep.

Larry

2022-01 YNP-418-Edit.jpg
2022-01 YNP-425-Edit.jpg
2022-01 YNP-3192-Edit.jpg
2022-01 Tetons-791.jpg
2022-01 Tetons-2051-Edit.jpg

I got a call Friday evening from a buddy asking if I could assist with a Dog Agility shoot starting @ 7:30 Saturday AM. I figured it would be a great chance to test the Z9, so I jumped at the chance. He said "It's really poor light in the arena, so 70-200 (locked at F2.8) is a must and I should plan on at least 8k ISO or higher in order to get enough SS for decent results.

This was the first time I've tried this and would love to go back and build on what I learned. What a blast it was, and the Z9 handled the event FAR better than "I did"! Two days removed, my calves are still "on fire"! Lol....

Agility is super hard to shoot. Incredible job for a first shoot.

DC08EF05-3B2A-4EF2-A749-7AED8C6A113A.jpeg

These parakeets are not native too our country, someone somewhere around 1980 thought it was a funny idea too set a few free in oure ecosystem. We have around 10.000 in holland now and 30.000 in belgium 🀣

ring-necked parakeet !
Nikon Z9
Nikon 500 PF
ISO2200
500mm
f5.6
1/2500
Wide-L
Animal detection

greetingsss jelle

Back