Z9 photo thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am finding that animal tracking in Wide L AF followed by 3D tracking does eye detection and holds the eye pretty well on dark eyes in both elk and bison; I had anticipated more trouble with dark eyes on dark heads. Bison: Z9, 1.4TC, 600mm f/4E, 850mm, 1/2000s, f 5.6, iso 720; elk: Z9, 600mm f/4E, 600mm, 1/640s, f/4, iso 2200.View attachment 33415

View attachment 33417
I had the same problem with goats. Sometimes, even when the focus is in the eye (in camera and in the raw file), it is really focusing in the body. it happens when its looking to you, but the body is perpendicular.

_DSC6712.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

_DSC7253.jpg

_DSC6629.jpg

This is my dog, Arlo. He likes being photographed with the Z9 almost as much as I like using it ;)

Z9 + 200-500mm at 500mm 1/800 sec @ f/7.1 Auto ISO (5000) bit soft but the conditions weren't ideal either.
DSC_2517-Edit-2.JPG

Z9 + 200-500mm at 200mm 1/3200 sec @ f/5.6 Auto ISO (2200)
DSC_9202-Edit.JPG

Your version of backyard birding is unreal !

Yes, we are quite lucky to have some beautiful birds come and visit us. We have a number of flowering shrubs and trees that the Rainbow Lorikeets and King Parrots like to feed on. We also throw a few seeds out to vary their diet. Today, I counted about 33 Rainbow Lorikeets on the ground and in the trees and shrubs, a pair of King Parrots., a pair of Grey Butcherbirds, 4 Kookaburras and a couple of Magpies! However, when there is a lot of Lorikeets, they make a lot of noise!

Last edited:
Today I tired for falcons by accompanying friends who fly birds. I had the shutter speed at 1/2000 and need 1/3200, but the camera did a very nice job grabbing both a peregrine falcon as well as this gyrfalcon. I used wide L on shutter and went to 3D tracking when the camera got on target with the AF on button. 500 PF, iso 900, f5.6
_AZ93077.jpg

How about a few *really* fast birds?
EDIT: forgot to add the details. Z9 + FTZ-II + Nikon120-300f2.8, most of the shots were around 1/10,000s f3.2 ISO 500
_DSC4799-Edit.jpg

_DSC4800-Edit.jpg
_DSC4801-Edit.jpg
_DSC4855-Edit.jpg
_DSC4857-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
And a launch failure.
_DSC5102-Edit.jpg

_DSC5104-Edit.jpg
_DSC5105-Edit.jpg
_DSC5107-Edit.jpg
_DSC5111-Edit.jpg

"Falcon 9 this is Houston do you copy?......"

"Falcon 9 this is Houston do you copy?......"

I also took some videos. Unfortunately I hadn't been planning on shooting video and hadn't experimented, tested, or even set up the video on the Z9. So this was all defaults and 4k30fps. If I were doing it again I'd at least use a higher frame rate and probably higher resolution. I was also shooting with a monopod - next time I'd likely want to be on a tripod with a gimbal head.

This video is of a Falcon Heavy. At first I thought this was another launch failure, but after looking at the video I'm thinking it might be mostly "as designed" though possibly ejecting the boosters earlier than they should (or at least earlier than I would expect). I slowed down most of it to 25%, which of course would've looked better if I had shot at a higher FPS.

Back