If you already have a z8/9 will you get a Z6iii? Why or why not?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It’s a matter of choice…if a mirrorless D500 was available, 24MP or higher resolution, I would still prefer that over shooting in DX with the Z8 or Z9 (which puts me a tad under 20MP).
I’m good with it being a choice…but still think the likelihood of a mirrorless D500 with a crop sensor is unlikely because of economic sense and potential demand…which means they’ll probably announce it tomorrow.

There was a gentleman further back in the thread who had spousal approval but was waiting to see if it had more buttons than the zf. In my case, if I have spousal approval, that means quickly "add to cart"!

In a more serious vein, I will seriously consider the z6iii but for my 1st mirrorless camera I think I'd be better served with a z8 or z9. I'm primarily a wildlife shooter with strong interests in landscape macro and astro. The z8 and z9 are more versatile. I can always shoot in dx mode.

However, the price point is attractive.

My thoughts so far have been to make a choice between z8/z9, and get a used d850 or z7ii/z6ii for the other needs.I have some nice f mt lenses and will need to use them for quite a while after getting a new body (or two). I'm currently shooting with a d500 and d7200. I recently picked up a brand new grip for $40 for my d500 to see how the size works for me, to check for z9 sizing. It's kinda big. But I really want the internal gps.

There was a gentleman further back in the thread who had spousal approval but was waiting to see if it had more buttons than the zf. In my case, if I have spousal approval, that means quickly "add to cart"!

In a more serious vein, I will seriously consider the z6iii but for my 1st mirrorless camera I think I'd be better served with a z8 or z9. I'm primarily a wildlife shooter with strong interests in landscape macro and astro. The z8 and z9 are more versatile. I can always shoot in dx mode.

My thoughts so far have been to make a choice between z8/z9, and get a used d850 or z7ii/z6ii for the other needs.I have some nice f mt lenses and will need to use them for quite a while after getting a new body (or two). I'm currently shooting with a d500 and d7200. I recently picked up a brand new grip for $40 for my d500 to see how the size works for me, to check for z9 sizing. It's kinda big. But I really want the internal gps.
Danger Zone ... if you go to Z9 (I have 2) and get a Z800pf for birds depending on the habitat you chase them in you will not want to use any of your f mount glass again. I have ordered the Z6III for low light indoors and low light birding for me it will fill a niche very bright view in low light in the viewfinder, better low light AF and larger photosites for cleaner images at high ISO.

The bodies I was using back when I made the switch to the all Z gear in May of 2022 were D500, D850 and D6 they were all great bodies. The Z9 in one body does pretty much everything these 3 did and for my use the z mount glass is just better than my f mount yes including my 600 f/4E. I was very lucky to sell off my f mount gear before the prices started a steep decline.

I think the Z6 III is a exclent tool................
I noticed the in the beginning of the Peta Pixel review the host was on a swing set swinging and it showed an annoying in and out of focus position when the presenter was near or far, they said the video was being taken on a Z6III is this normal ????
Only an opinion

I don't see any OOF positions. Are you sure you are not confusing the frame rate and focus?

Danger Zone ... if you go to Z9 (I have 2) and get a Z800pf for birds depending on the habitat you chase them in you will not want to use any of your f mount glass again. I have ordered the Z6III for low light indoors and low light birding for me it will fill a niche very bright view in low light in the viewfinder, better low light AF and larger photosites for cleaner images at high ISO.

The bodies I was using back when I made the switch to the all Z gear in May of 2022 were D500, D850 and D6 they were all great bodies. The Z9 in one body does pretty much everything these 3 did and for my use the z mount glass is just better than my f mount yes including my 600 f/4E. I was very lucky to sell off my f mount gear before the prices started a steep decline.
Yes, I can see the danger lurking....!! I'd love a 600PF or 800PF.

I share your interest in bird photography as a primary use. I also like low light targets (owls, poorwills, other nightjars) and the z6iii is attractive for that. But I think the z8 or z9 will do this better than my d500 or a d850 and have greater versatility than the z6iii.

I expect I'll need to use my 500PF, 300PF (with 1.4TCiii), Tammy 150-600G2, and other F Mt lenses for a while, maybe a year, after I get a new body. We need two new(er) vehicles, are remodeling, and other priorities. My photo priorities are as follows: storage solution (done, with a Synology NAS), new laptop (soon), add LRc after new laptop, maybe a new external monitor (pending spousal approval), then a new camera body(s). Last are lenses. I'm keeping lens acquisitions to a minimum for now because I will be switching to Z-mount. But I covet a Rokinon 14mm f2.4 for astro, and a 105mm macro. F-mount lens pricing is unbelievably low, but I don't want to add any until I see how I tolerate using a FTZ. I tend to only buy new camera gear when I REALLY am going to use it. For instance I used my d90 for two years birding with a borrowed 70-300 and a 28-300 until my wife got sick of my complaining about it :)!

I may have misunderstood this, but is the 240p only with 1080 video? And is the 120p 4k video full frame like the Z8?
Yes, 240p is limited to HD -- no hybrid cameras can shoot 4k240p ... yet. Curiously though, the HD 240p is almost full frame.

In the Z6III, 4k120p is an APS-C crop. That's one big difference between the Z6III and Z8/Z9 which both offer 4k120p in FX with a minor crop or in DX with a huge (and very useful) 2.3x crop, as is demonstrated with this short video taken 50 feet from the nest....

Yes, I can see the danger lurking....!! I'd love a 600PF or 800PF.

I share your interest in bird photography as a primary use. I also like low light targets (owls, poorwills, other nightjars) and the z6iii is attractive for that. But I think the z8 or z9 will do this better than my d500 or a d850 and have greater versatility than the z6iii.

I expect I'll need to use my 500PF, 300PF (with 1.4TCiii), Tammy 150-600G2, and other F Mt lenses for a while, maybe a year, after I get a new body. We need two new(er) vehicles, are remodeling, and other priorities. My photo priorities are as follows: storage solution (done, with a Synology NAS), new laptop (soon), add LRc after new laptop, maybe a new external monitor (pending spousal approval), then a new camera body(s). Last are lenses. I'm keeping lens acquisitions to a minimum for now because I will be switching to Z-mount. But I covet a Rokinon 14mm f2.4 for astro, and a 105mm macro. F-mount lens pricing is unbelievably low, but I don't want to add any until I see how I tolerate using a FTZ. I tend to only buy new camera gear when I REALLY am going to use it. For instance I used my d90 for two years birding with a borrowed 70-300 and a 28-300 until my wife got sick of my complaining about it :)!
I had 500 pf, 300 pf and my Tamron 150-600 G2 was one of my workhorses and the Tamron Z150-500 is even better and I have a 600 pf being delivered tomorrow targeted at the Z6III that I hope is shipped next week. This was taken on the Boise River here in Idaho and an 8 foot print is in the State Capitol building. Nikon D500 and Tamron 150-600 G2.
_KMM6844.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I had 500 pf, 300 pf and my Tamron 150-600 G2 was one of my workhorses and the Tamron Z150-500 is even better and I have a 600 pf being delivered tomorrow targeted at the Z6III that I hope is shipped next week. This was taken on the Boise River here in Idaho and an 8 foot print is in the State Capitol building. Nikon D500 and Tamron 150-600 G2.
View attachment 91610
Awesome shot! Thanks for sharing and appreciate your comments.

Awesome shot! Thanks for sharing and appreciate your comments.
Thank you. You can get some great shots with your D500 and Tamron 150-600 G2 and I got some great ones with the 500 PF ... I sold my 300 pf when Tamron brought out a new 1.4 tele converter that was amazing on the Tamron 70-200 G2 I shot them in static tests side by side and in the field and sold the 300 pf the Tamron and TC were just as sharp and more versatile. I also had the Rokinon 14mm f/2.4 a great lens for the price. But as you noted I agree that I would hesitate to buy more f mount glass. One of the best things about my Z 9's is they can use the new Z glass :cool:

L
Looking forward to your review. Gerald Undone did a glowing review and the FF 24mb is really the best size for most vid applications. I pre-ordered the C400, but this might replace my FX3.
Sorry Nimi, no "reviews" from me but I'll post my impressions if that works LOL!

Of course your C400 is a true cinematographers camera...maybe some day I'll be able to justify something in that calibre.

View attachment 91610
Do I see the fish chasing away the eagle?
;)

Super shot.

I understand your using these for birds and wildlife which I do but I also shoot sports and landscapes and portraits.
Since you have the Z9 I'm looking to upgrade to either the Z9 or Z8 and I'm looking for thoughts on this move. Thanks in advance

I understand your using these for birds and wildlife which I do but I also shoot sports and landscapes and portraits.
Since you have the Z9 I'm looking to upgrade to either the Z9 or Z8 and I'm looking for thoughts on this move. Thanks in advance
I have not done a lot of portrait photography in several years. My backdrops, light stands and pocket wizards are stored away. I do more informal portrait work indoors and outdoors at church events where no stopping and no flash possible. The Z9 works as well or better than any camera I have used and part of that is related to the glass I use. In the last several people projects I have been using the new z mount Tamron 35-150 f/2- 2.8 an amazing lens. I have also used the Nikon 24-120 but it is less efficient indoors should be better with the Z6III. Sports I do not do anymore my grandkids are now adults and out of sports. But if I can do the type of bird photography I do with the Z9 sports would be a piece of cake. Closest thing I have done this year was a frenetic easter egg hunts :)

I personally got a second Z9 because I am used to the larger form factor (one of the reasons I may end up adding a battery grip to the Z6III as I did to the Z6II), I also wanted the extra external controls and wanted the built in GPS and a few other things the Z8 does not have. If you want smaller size, do not care about GPS etc.. then the Z8 by all reports is a great camera.

Landscapes I have done a few and the Z9 is a bit more capable than my D850 was.

Fortunately…I don’t need spousal approval although I would discuss it with her…I was talking bout the $14K 400/2.8 the other day and how with a little mental recalibration I could take it as it provides 400, 560, 800, and 1120 reach in a pinch albeit at a size and weight penalty…but stick that on a body and either a 100-400 or 24-120 in the backpack depending on the outing and you’ve got a pretty complete kit. Her response…”you always said that it’s too heavy…but get one if you want, I don’t care as we can afford it.”

Ken…you’ve encapsulated my feelings about the F to Z migration perfectly. While F gear still makes great images there will never be any improvements to it or new gear with more features. And once one tries the Z body, firmware, lnses and all the improvements they bring…one never wants to go back…it feels like stone knives and bearskins. Doesn’t make old gear bad…it is just that faster processors means better software in the camera…and the wider throat and more sophisticated design software using on better workstations makes Z lenses better and lighter than F ones. Technology advances and that doesn’t make older tech bad, just not better…and whether better is the enemy of good enough as I always say depends on the individual…but in this case the better provides so much better performance that it is worth the cost for most people. I have beautiful almost full frame sequences of lilac breasted rollers taking off in Serengeti with every frame in tack sharp focus so picking the best wing positions is possible…I could never have gotten those with my D7500 and 500PF.

I had a 9 and an 8 and sold the former to replace with a second 8. they are…with the exception of a few minor differences…the same camera. Zo costs more…but has the grip, a larger battery, and can do longer videos without overheating. Whether those differences are important enough for you to spend the extra money and carry a heavier body is something only you can answer. For me…I didn’t ever want a grip anyway and any video is short. And the battery life in the 8 is shorter…but just carry a spare and don’t worry about it…and 8 battery life has never been an issue for me…but I’ve always (even back to the D7000 days) turned the camera off unless I was shooting…with my D7500 I went days between battery charges. I have needed a second battery exactly once for the Z8…10 hours into a 12 hour day in the Serengeti with Steve. I understand that some people might shoot differently and battery life might be different for them…but then just carry another battery…I always had a second Z9 battery too even though I never needed it. My suggestion…think how you shoot and whether the differences matter to you enough to warrant the cost and weight penalty. I’ve also seen comments in various places about balancing better with a telephoto lens…but I never noticed a problem so either I’m more tolerant than some or more clueless than some.

My normal operating mode is 2 bodies with lenses on a double Black Rapid strap and other stuff in the backpack…so weight for me (along with the complete non interest in the grip) is the primary deal. If the 8 and 9 had been released simultaneously…I would have bought the 8 hands down, no regrets.

And my Z7II is going back to MPB regardless of whether I get a Z6IIi for a lighter more capable travel body later…it hasn’t been used since I got the Z9 2 years back.

Fortunately…I don’t need spousal approval although I would discuss it with her…I was talking bout the $14K 400/2.8 the other day and how with a little mental recalibration I could take it as it provides 400, 560, 800, and 1120 reach in a pinch albeit at a size and weight penalty…but stick that on a body and either a 100-400 or 24-120 in the backpack depending on the outing and you’ve got a pretty complete kit. Her response…”you always said that it’s too heavy…but get one if you want, I don’t care as we can afford it.”
😄 my wife and I had a very similar discussion this week. I had recently gotten 2 z mount Tamrons 35-150 f/2-2.8 (low light indoors and people everywhere) and 150-500 f/5-6.7 (light weight variable focal length easier to carry at the same time as my Z800 in a think tank holster on my speed belt) and after using them multiple times in the field it covered the 200-500 range well so I sold my Z100-400 and now my Z70-200 and Z180-600 are on their way to a buyer.

The Z400 f/2.8 tc is back on the maybe someday list since most of my photography requires me to be on foot and on the move I decided to stay lighter and a Z600pf is out for delivery today. The Z600pf with1.4TC will be my primary backup to my Z800pf and without the TC if I need closer minimum focus distance and/or 600mm better fits the location. Biggest thing I will miss when I use the Z6III for very low light birds the Z9's built in GPS. Will have to use the old fashioned work around of putting in location from my ebird track on my iPhone :)

I had a 9 and an 8 and sold the former to replace with a second 8. they are…with the exception of a few minor differences…the same camera. Zo costs more…but has the grip, a larger battery, and can do longer videos without overheating. Whether those differences are important enough for you to spend the extra money and carry a heavier body is something only you can answer. For me…I didn’t ever want a grip anyway and any video is short. And the battery life in the 8 is shorter…but just carry a spare and don’t worry about it…and 8 battery life has never been an issue for me…but I’ve always (even back to the D7000 days) turned the camera off unless I was shooting…with my D7500 I went days between battery charges. I have needed a second battery exactly once for the Z8…10 hours into a 12 hour day in the Serengeti with Steve. I understand that some people might shoot differently and battery life might be different for them…but then just carry another battery…I always had a second Z9 battery too even though I never needed it. My suggestion…think how you shoot and whether the differences matter to you enough to warrant the cost and weight penalty. I’ve also seen comments in various places about balancing better with a telephoto lens…but I never noticed a problem so either I’m more tolerant than some or more clueless than some.

My normal operating mode is 2 bodies with lenses on a double Black Rapid strap and other stuff in the backpack…so weight for me (along with the complete non interest in the grip) is the primary deal. If the 8 and 9 had been released simultaneously…I would have bought the 8 hands down, no regrets.

And my Z7II is going back to MPB regardless of whether I get a Z6IIi for a lighter more capable travel body later…it hasn’t been used since I got the Z9 2 years back.
My wife traded my Z6II in on a Z7II she is very sensitive to weight and said the Z8 was to heavy for her she even sold her Z400 f4.5 to go for the pound lighter and more versatile Nikon 28-400 and loves the combo and has it in DX mode most of the time out after birds.

I will think about a Z6III to join my pair of Z9's, of particular interest to me will be the High ISO/low light capability of this 24MP sensor and it's AF ability.
IF it can equal my (now sold) D5 for low light images and Z9 AF, that will make it a tempting purchase for me @ least.
What's an extra 700gm's when my Africa bag already weighs 18KG.!! :LOL:
Let us know what you decide to do.... ;)

😄 my wife and I had a very similar discussion this week. I had recently gotten 2 z mount Tamrons 35-150 f/2-2.8 (low light indoors and people everywhere) and 150-500 f/5-6.7 (light weight variable focal length easier to carry at the same time as my Z800 in a think tank holster on my speed belt) and after using them multiple times in the field it covered the 200-500 range well so I sold my Z100-400 and now my Z70-200 and Z180-600 are on their way to a buyer.

The Z400 f/2.8 tc is back on the maybe someday list since most of my photography requires me to be on foot and on the move I decided to stay lighter and a Z600pf is out for delivery today. The Z600pf with1.4TC will be my primary backup to my Z800pf and without the TC if I need closer minimum focus distance and/or 600mm better fits the location. Biggest thing I will miss when I use the Z6III for very low light birds the Z9's built in GPS. Will have to use the old fashioned work around of putting in location from my ebird track on my iPhone I’m
Im gonna keep thinking on it…but as long as I, interested in a 2 body/lens combos on a dual strap it’s a lot of weight although I need to add the numbers and see how the 2x Z8 with 600PF with the TC and 180-600 compares with the 400 on a Z8 and either the 100-400 on a second body or just the lens (or a 24-120) in a backpack or waist carry case. At 70 and comfortably retired…it’s more a weight and utility factor for me.

Regarding wife and weight…I hear ya, mine won’t carry any more than the Z50 2 lens kit. What the 400 would provide is lower ISOs for dim mornings in the woods…but then DxO is pretty wonderful and with 99% of my output gett downsampled for the blog posts most to all of the ‘better at 2:1 in LR’ disappears…and we are great believers in the bang for the buck and better is the enemy of good enough viewpoints…so I doubt I would ever spring that much for the lens. I ordered an 800PF back when but for FL and even in Serengeti while I had the TC on the 600PF about half the time…800 is just too much lens a lot of the time…and the size/weight reduces whatever else I might want to bring. If I was a shooter that said ‘today I will only shoot great gray owls’…then an 800 and single body might make sense…but I am like most of us I think a whatever I see today sort. Our buddy Hudson Henry had an 800 and recently sold it for the 400/2.8 and 1.4 external TC combo…and used it exclusively in CR…said he misses the 800 but is happy he switched. I’m a lot like Alton Brown…the 800 is a unitasker and flexible is more important than 2:1 in LR IQ…I’m an amateur that mostly puts photos on the travel blog and the cheaper, lighter and more flexible lenses are more than good enough for that.

Im surprised that your wife likes the Z7II for birds…the AF is fine for static ones but the frame rate and slower AF along with the lack of bird SD pretty much kills it for me for BIF..hence its going to MPB. The Z6III I’m seriously considering for a lighter travel kit like the Z7II was…except ypu can actually do some wildlife with it as well albeit not as well as the Z8/9. OTOH…ypu really don’t save all that much weight between it and the Z8…especially if you only take a super zoom single lens for travel…its only 5 ounces lighter after all but it is a little smaller as well…but my wife showed less than zero interest in keeping my Z7II with the 24-200 as her camera…because the Z50 is lighter by 12 ounces + whatever the 2 DX lens save over the 24-200…because she’s not really interested in long range wildlife…she goes with me but says ‘that’s too far, get a shot for me’.

Last edited:
Back