If you already have a z8/9 will you get a Z6iii? Why or why not?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Not long to go now, I am quite excited to find out more. The rumours suggest it is best for video so interested to see what has been improved regarding video. If significant I could selll my Z9 and buy a Z 6III to go with my Z8. Oh and keen to find out if we have raw pre-capture for the first time.

Since I changed to mirrorless I miss having a second body, simply because I couldn't afford to get two MILCs at the time due to the money that came in for the DSLRs and the F-Mount glass. The Z6 III would be a perfect companion for my Z8, but the main criteria is whether or not I have the same controls layout and the flexibility and functional range to assign the same functions to the saem buttons with the same bevaviour as I use on my Z8.
If the provided functioanlity especially in terms of AF and the bove mentioned customizablity of the control elements is o.k. and allows me to work with the Z6 III as I am usewd to with the Z8 by now, it is even possible that I go with two Z6 III in the future instead of one Z8 and one Z6 III.

But there are too many chances for surprise in that department to rush the decision. I will take the time to see what experts like @Steve will say and what the experiences of the people here in the community are, that have similar background, requirements and preferences like me.

I have a Z9 for wildlife and a Zf for travel. I find that more and more when I go to nearby parks, etc. that I grab the Zf + 500pf rather than the Z9 + 800pf. If that trend continues and the Z6III is a little better wildlife camera, or a better low light camera, or has some feature that I can't live without, then I'll get it. Otherwise, I'll wait for something more enticing.

P.S. I've been spousally pre-approved so the bar is pretty low. Having more buttons than the Zf could trigger a purchase.

Last edited:
Lucky you.

I would like some day to replace/upgrade my Z7ii but I am far from spousal approval At this point.

My main goal is to land the Z 400mm f2.8 tc vr s. That is a big fish and a tough sell. Next week I will be shooting with someone who has rented one of those to test out. I have offered to let him use my Z 800mm pf if I can get a few test shots with the 400. After that I am planning a trip in October and may rent the lens for a week to give it a full workout. By then I hope to have my game plan in place.

Lucky you.

I would like some day to replace/upgrade my Z7ii but I am far from spousal approval At this point.

My main goal is to land the Z 400mm f2.8 tc vr s. That is a big fish and a tough sell. Next week I will be shooting with someone who has rented one of those to test out. I have offered to let him use my Z 800mm pf if I can get a few test shots with the 400. After that I am planning a trip in October and may rent the lens for a week to give it a full workout. By then I hope to have my game plan in place.

Not so much luck as I'm just in a position at this point in life to be able to buy the tools I need. :) I'm actually envious of your 800PF...I've been wanting one but can't justify it - the majority of what I shoot is low light, concert, so it's hard to justify a lens like that when I go birding maybe twice a year... :D

Not so much luck as I'm just in a position at this point in life to be able to buy the tools I need. :) I'm actually envious of your 800PF...I've been wanting one but can't justify it - the majority of what I shoot is low light, concert, so it's hard to justify a lens like that when I go birding maybe twice a year... :D
You don’t need to own an 800mm pf if you are not shooting birds or other distant wildlife. But for that purpose it is a wonderful tool and my current favorite lens.

I think you know that.

Now if someone will just give me their 400mm f2.8 tc vr I will feel complete. I keep saying that but nobody gets the hint. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

You don’t need to own an 800mm pf if you are not shooting birds or other distant wildlife. But for that purpose it is a wonderful tool and my current favorite lens.

I think you know that.

Now if someone will just give me their 400mm f2.8 tc vr I will feel complete. I keep saying that but nobody gets the hint. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

That's exactly why I haven't bought one. I have an F mount 600F4 G that still does a great job for what wildlife shooting I manage... :D

To the topic at hand I have preordered a Z6iii and tagged it for NPS priority delivery....now we wait.

At this point I would be interested in owning a Z6iii eventually but it is not a priority. I want to wait and see if they do a Z7iii or a
z9ii.

All is not yet revealed.

Price is good on the Z6iii however.

I pre ordered a Z6III this morning. As you are I am a birder and use my Z800 pf on a Z9 more than any other combo.

I ordered it for a compact low light camera to pair with my new Tamron Z mounts. Tamron 150-500mm f/5-6.7 diIII VC VXD model A057Z and Tamron 35-150 f/2-2.8 model A058Z.

In some places when I am out and about I plan on carrying the Z6III and the Tamron 150-500 in my Think Tank Holster 50 on my speed belt on my left side with my Z9 and Z800 on my Black Rapids Strap hanging down on my right side (and frequently cradled in baby carry mode) so if I need variable focal length and closer MFD I will have it with me.

And who knows after I get it and try it I might use it in low light on my Z800 less concern there over cropping if I am shooting the little birds.

I have the Z8 & Z9 and just preordered the Z6III -- as a video-centric shooter I wanted the 240p option and really missed having it after I sold my Sony equipment. For video work Z6III is very close to the Z8 so there's a possibility the Z8 will eventually be sold, but that's a decision for another day.

Me too…and I’m gonna seriously consider swapping my Z7II for one of these. Once you’ve used a Z8/9 for wildlife…you really realize how poor for wildlife the Z7II actually is. I would not use mine for anything but travel/walking around at this point…but a Z6III is plenty enough for a mixed travel/photo trip…and since I’m 70 and can afford one…what’s to not like.

I had a good look at a few of the Z6III reviews, i like the Z6 III very much and it launches some new interesting bits and pieces, its not to dissimilar to the ZF just seems a little more up beat or up a level.

Its universal screen and other features lean more to video which is the growing market.

I think it will be popular and see many current Z6 series owners possibly up grade as well. handy small alternative camera and a brilliant camera for someone starting out, i guess also video bloggers would love this unit. Its simply a great small fast camera, well done Nikon.

24 mp is very nice as i loved that resolution level in my D3X for years, 24 mp D3X even saw me pass on the complete 36mp series, but gee whiz i find 45mp in the D850 Z8 Z9 is as low as i ever want to go, in fact i am looking for 60 plus MP.

Dropping a 24mp camera into DX mode doesn't sing as nice a song as 45 or 60 mp can.

What i want is something small and compact like around the A1 size and weight only with 60 plus mp if possible.

That said the Z7 III will be interesting.

Do i feel the Z6 III is a good camera, absolutely. Is it for me, not while i have other choices. I would use a Z7 III as a back up to my Z8 Z9 position as i can always flick it into DX mode and have reasonable file sizes.

So as i see it, there is the following line up

Z8 Z9
Z6 and 7 III
ZF
ZFC

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I'm a Z9 user and was just waiting for the launch of Z6III to see if it had the features i was looking for, although i prefer 45MP sensor. I would've preferred it if it had a fully stacked sensor, 40fps and pre-capture in raw but now my choice is the Z8.

Owning a Z9 and a Z8, I don't see anything in the Z6III that would tempt me to buy one; I don't need three bodies and the Z9 and the Z8 compliment each other well for my needs. However, if Nikon would ever release a mirrorless replacement for the D500? THAT would be a heavy temptation for me.

Already have a Z9 & Z8 so passing on this. I'll buy the Z9 MkII when it comes out though to keep current! :)

Looks like a nice camera though

I have a Z8 and Z9 but mostly use the Z8 bc I prefer the smaller and lighter cam. I have toyed with the idea of replacing the Z9 with another Z8 and I did consider the Z6iii. But I'm standing pat and will wait for 'what's next' or maybe what's after that. I do like the new Z6iii tho and think it will sell well. Nikon endowed it with a lot of nice features for 2500 smackers.

I stretched my luck with the Z8 and a Hasselblad last year! (Married 46+ yrs … I must’ve been a child bride 😳 )
The only reason the z6iii attracted me was the new Evf. If they intro that into say a Z8ii then I might upgrade. The video aspects look great, but I don’t do video. So not for me.

Back