L Bracket for Nikon Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Modular L Bracket from RRS $200.
Gouging?
Especially when Kirk says their introductory price is $0.00! ;)
Kirk L.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Especially when Kirk says their introductory price is $0.00! ;)
View attachment 64031
I saw that, thought it was a great deal but won't let me order ;) On a serious note, does anyone know if the Kirk bracket will be "modular" like RRS where you can remove the side piece and only have the base plate? Also wish Kirk would put a 1/4-20 hole in the side bracket as that's where I like to put my Spider pin for my belt clip so it doesn't interfere with setting the camera flat on a surface.
You can pre-order the RRS bracket here:

When I first got my Z8 no one had any brackets or dedicated plates, I contacted Kirk and asked if any universal plate might fit the Z8 well and they told me the PZ-134 V2 so I grabbed that and I can confirm it is an excellent fit with a back lip that seats just below the rear monitor and does not interfere with function but helps secure the plate with no wiggle so far.

L bracket.

Seems on par with all the previous smallrig brackets I've had. Z6, Z6ii, Z7, and Z9
That is good to know, might be a decent option. My Smallrig Z6 bracket is really impressive. Is the L bracket portion removeable or one solid unit?

Did you order through ebay as Smallrig still doesn't list on their website...

It's removable via 2 socket head screws ( wrench included).

I do wish they would use socket head screws for mounting to the camera (instead of the slot head screw).
I saw that in one of the pictures and wondered why they switched from hex to slot, my Z6 plate has a hex wrench secured with a magnet and I thought that was a brilliant feature. Maybe too many users over torqued the hex bolt???

I saw that in one of the pictures and wondered why they switched from hex to slot, my Z6 plate has a hex wrench secured with a magnet and I thought that was a brilliant feature. Maybe too many users over torqued the hex bolt???
Hex keys, even quality ones are subject to stripping. They do now come with a small flat blade driver which stores via magnets and a slot to keep it handy which is a nice touch.

That is good to know, might be a decent option. My Smallrig Z6 bracket is really impressive. Is the L bracket portion removeable or one solid unit?

Did you order through ebay as Smallrig still doesn't list on their website...
It is a "decent option" IMO for the UK price of £49.90 including 20% sales tax.

The base is a single unit - though there is a hinged part between battery chamber and lens mount for full access to the camera battery.

The left side (from the back of the camera) is a separate piece which can be moved outward to allow space for video cables.

It is not for me to explain why it seems not on the Smallrig site from the UK - but Amazon UK takes you to a Smallrig link.

I used universal L-brackets on my Canons for years until I switched to MFT and still have a Canon with one. They're well built and have never given me any problems; the only thing I don't like about them is that they have to be removed to change batteries (that's a pain). I use third -party grips on my Olympus cameras too. I wouldn't consider purchasing a name brand L-bracket or grip for multiples of the price of third-party units for no apparent benefit.
All the L=brackets I've bought from RRS to Kirk, 3-legged, and a smallrig: All strong enough, and each provided access to the battery without removing the bracket, as well as the cables. At least some of the no-name ones is that they don't fit solidly to the camera. I might feel differently is I were shooting with a full-size 600 or 800mm, but for everything else I've had no problem finding a good, reliable, stable bracket. [Anyone need an RRS bracket for a D2x? It's old, but in great shape.]

KirkPhoto.com started showing a price today (6/2/2023) for an L-bracket for the Z8. They show it as "out of stock" but they should have it in a week or two. I have used Kirk Photo products for over 20 years and like the high quality of their products. I have their L-bracket on my D7000 and D500. I have many other products, but not relevant to this discussion. Give them your email and you will know when it is in stock.

KirkPhoto.com started showing a price today (6/2/2023) for an L-bracket for the Z8. They show it as "out of stock" but they should have it in a week or two. I have used Kirk Photo products for over 20 years and like the high quality of their products. I have their L-bracket on my D7000 and D500. I have many other products, but not relevant to this discussion. Give them your email and you will know when it is in stock.
I spoke with Kirk the other day about availability and introductory pricing. They said it would not be available until after the 4th. Does that mean pre-order on the 5th or just sometime after the 4th I’m not sure. I find the quality of Kirk machined plates to be excellent while reasonably priced but sometimes other mfr’s offer something with features more to my liking.

Folks - my RRS bracket for Z8 is arriving tomorrow. FYI - it is the modular version of the RRS L bracket which I much prefer to the one piece bracket. With my other cameras that have these modular L’s,the base part stays on the body and the vertical side is attached when necessary. Yes, it’s $200, but I have never regretted buying a RRS product.

They are definitely available.

Folks - my RRS bracket for Z8 is arriving tomorrow. FYI - it is the modular version of the RRS L bracket which I much prefer to the one piece bracket. With my other cameras that have these modular L’s,the base part stays on the body and the vertical side is attached when necessary. Yes, it’s $200, but I have never regretted buying a RRS product.

would love you to post some more pics once you get it.. Where is the allen key stored, etc (RRS pics do not show this) I am looking at the Kirk or RRS. I like the modular idea, but I do not like my RSS D500 allen key storage location.

So if you have time, please post your thoughts, pics. Thanks

would love you to post some more pics once you get it.. Where is the allen key stored, etc (RRS pics do not show this) I am looking at the Kirk or RRS. I like the modular idea, but I do not like my RSS D500 allen key storage location.

So if you have time, please post your thoughts, pics. Thanks
Will do when it arrives

I placed my order with RRS the day before they posted the notice on their website that their first allocation of pre-orders had been filled up, but I didn't make the cut. 😥

My order is currently in "Awaiting Fulfillment" status, so it looks like I'll have to wait for the next batch to be released.

Last edited:
Back