L Bracket for Nikon Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For those that bought the Smallrig L-bracket from ebay, did you buy from Seller: newbegindj out of China?

Given that Smallrig isn’t advertising the l-bracket itself, it seems like this could be an example of a Chinese manufacturer stealing IP and selling on eBay, but curious if anyone has another explanation?

I could be wrong here, but was smallrig not the first manufacturer of L brackets for the z8? If so, I'm confused as to whose IP they would be infringing upon.
I meant that a Chinese manufacturer was infringing on Smallrig's IP. Doesn't make sense that Smallrig would be selling their L-bracket through a random user on eBay and not on their own website.

I just received this email from Kirk. Looks like their Z8 bracket and plates are available starting next week.

IMG_4146.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Just arrived. Can't show it mounted since my Z8 is off at Nikon for recall. I like the modular, 2 piece design. The base will be on the Z8 almost always and I'll attach the L angle when necessary. RRS tried to improve the allen wrench storage on this one by using a short stubby ended wrench which fits more easily into the base than the normal allen wrench does on its other plates. And the magnets are more robust on this plate than on earlier ones.

Excuse the awful pics. quick iphone snaps just for info purposes. Next time, I'll even try to focus them.
IMG_1283.jpg
IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1288.jpg

Just arrived. Can't show it mounted since my Z8 is off at Nikon for recall. I like the modular, 2 piece design. The base will be on the Z8 almost always and I'll attach the L angle when necessary. RRS tried to improve the allen wrench storage on this one by using a short stubby ended wrench which fits more easily into the base than the normal allen wrench does on its other plates. And the magnets are more robust on this plate than on earlier ones.

Excuse the awful pics. quick iphone snaps just for info purposes. Next time, I'll even try to focus them.
View attachment 65251View attachment 65252View attachment 65253
A thing of beauty. Looks very similar to the one they make for the Z9, which is the best L bracket I own.

I’ll be interested to see how accessible that new “control” button on the fronts of Z8 and Z9 is with the L portion attached. The vertical part has a zig zag on the plate to go around that new button. Based on my 30 years of experience using RRS parts, I’m sure it will be just fine. Now just need to get the Z8 back. I’m NPS member, so hoping to be accelerated in the queue.

I’ll be interested to see how accessible that new “control” button on the fronts of Z8 and Z9 is with the L portion attached. The vertical part has a zig zag on the plate to go around that new button. Based on my 30 years of experience using RRS parts, I’m sure it will be just fine. Now just need to get the Z8 back. I’m NPS member, so hoping to be accelerated in the queue.
RRS Z9 PLATE.jpeg

Since I would never use the base plate on its own, I prefer an L bracket that is one piece and cannot be detached. My Z8 has not arrived yet, and the only lens I have ordered for it so far is a 70-200 which I already have a Kirk replacement foot for, so I am not in a big rush. But I do need to decide which L Bracket I am going to order.

Since I would never use the base plate on its own, I prefer an L bracket that is one piece and cannot be detached. My Z8 has not arrived yet, and the only lens I have ordered for it so far is a 70-200 which I already have a Kirk replacement foot for, so I am not in a big rush. But I do need to decide which L Bracket I am going to order.
I dont think that's not the intent. I have it flush against the door when traveling or untethered/hdmi, then take it out 3/4 inch to open the door and insert cables.

I placed my order with RRS the day before they posted the notice on their website that their first allocation of pre-orders had been filled up, but I didn't make the cut. 😥

My order is currently in "Awaiting Fulfillment" status, so it looks like I'll have to wait for the next batch to be released.
Ditto. I thought I was early. Not so. In the mean I have 3 legged thing as a backup. Inexpensive but should work well enough.

I got my order in, but only after the site told me the order did not go through and to try again... so I did... now I have 4 orders.. ugh. Website got hammered this morning. I expect Kirk to be very busy for a while...

I ordered mine at 10:07 EDT.

I tried again at 10 thinking they meant 10 and I was able to get an order placed for their plate....

I got my order in, but only after the site told me the order did not go through and to try again... so I did... now I have 4 orders.. ugh. Website got hammered this morning. I expect Kirk to be very busy for a while...

Yeah, I just now tried to load the home page and service is unavailable....yep, they got hammered all right. And undertandably so....the RRS alternatives are more money and bring no value added over the Kirk solutions. In fact IMO RRS plate is just bloatware being 1/2" thick. Ridiculous. I'd machine my own before buying the RRS plate.

Same here. I used PayPal to speed things up. Got a notice from PayPal that they got the order but Kirk web site said the order could not be placed. I still have not gotten a confirmation from Kirk for the order. I'll wait a day or two and see if I get an email confirmation from Kirk then contact them if I don't get one. I just about did another order but after finding the PayPal notice I did not want to order again and end up with second one.

I received a smallrig L bracket but found out that the "Arca-swiss" dimension is not correct. It is narrower than it is supposed to be. My quick release on the tripod fits all my Kirk, RRS, standard arca-swiss plates but will not clamp the smallrig in place. The quick-release can be adjusted to fit, but then my other plates will not be able to be clamped.

I received a smallrig L bracket but found out that the "Arca-swiss" dimension is not correct. It is narrower than it is supposed to be. My quick release on the tripod fits all my Kirk, RRS, standard arca-swiss plates but will not clamp the smallrig in place. The quick-release can be adjusted to fit, but then my other plates will not be able to be clamped.
One problem with ARCA Swiss is there is no universal standard - and slight differences between brands are common.

My Gitzo and Bento ARCA Swiss tripod heads accept the Smallrig Z8 (and Z9) L brackets without problem, as they do the Gitzo, Bento and Montana QR plates I have attached to my Nikon lens collars.

Same here. I used PayPal to speed things up. Got a notice from PayPal that they got the order but Kirk web site said the order could not be placed. I still have not gotten a confirmation from Kirk for the order. I'll wait a day or two and see if I get an email confirmation from Kirk then contact them if I don't get one. I just about did another order but after finding the PayPal notice I did not want to order again and end up with second one.

Yes, I used paypal as well and got the recipt from them. No word yet from Kirk.
In fact I now see this:
We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. We will resume taking orders tomorrow 7/11/2023
I'm going to call and see if they have the order.

Yes, I used paypal as well and got the recipt from them. No word yet from Kirk.
In fact I now see this:
We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. We will resume taking orders tomorrow 7/11/2023
I'm going to call and see if they have the order.

Kirk is totally screwed up and have no idea of who what when or where.

I was told: If you don't get an email by the end of the day the order did not go thru.

In my case I would then need to contact paypal and cancel that transaction.

At this point I'm going down to my shop and do a bit of milling to make an old RRS camera plate work.

Back