L Bracket for Nikon Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Three Legged thing is making a dedicated one piece L bracket for the Z8.....but it looks like it won't be out until September going off the B&H item page. Not a bad price for a milled single piece L bracket. I have one of their tripods and it's awesome quality. I just don't know if I'll wait until september to buy one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._thing_zooey_b_zooey_l_bracket_for_nikon.html
For the 3leggedthing Z8 L-bracket called Zooey you can sign up for details at this web page

https://www.3leggedthing.com/uk/coming-soon-nikon

Got an email from Kirk that they had the Z 8 L bracket available this morning. Tried and tried - kept getting a msg system could not process my request. Finally their system went down and when it came back (an hour or two later), the brackets were out of stock. Either did not purchase any L brackets or I got 14 (order 2 at a time, 7 charges on my credit card). We'll see.

Added. Got 1 set and only charged for it.

Last edited:
The Z8 is so new there are no dedicated L Brackets yet. SmallRig is taking preorders on a cage, but I don't want that I just want a bottom and side bracket for still shooting. There are a couple universal L Brackets on Amazon (generic to fit any model), such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09X46YKQZ/?tag=backcogaller-20
Does anyone have experience using universal brackets like this?
The Z cameras do not have the plate mounting screw in the center of the bracket. It is offset towards the front of the plate similar to the Z6 and Z7 plates.

Got an email from Kirk that they had the Z 8 L bracket available this morning. Tried and tried - kept getting a msg system could not process my request. Finally their system went down and when it came back (an hour or two later), the brackets were out of stock. Either did not purchase any L brackets or I got 14 (order 2 at a time, 7 charges on my credit card). We'll see.
that was the Kirk base plate for $60, not their L-bracket. I tried also right at 9am and their server was slowed to a crawl. almost impossible to place an order. I had one go through but it was for 3 at $180 so I had to back out and then couldn't connect again. They are totally out now.

found out that I ordered only 1 set of 2 L brackets.

Kirk site: "We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. We will resume taking orders tomorrow 7/11/2023".

Z8 is so popular it crashed their site? ;)
L brackets and plates are hard to find for this camera. Nikon does not provide specs to Kirk, RRS, ... in advance. So their sites get over run when a small % of those looking for L brackets try to grab the few that are available

I put 1 Kirk L bracket in my cart at about 9:20 am. Then for the next 30 minutes tried to process payment. Error message was "server problem".....so I tried again assuming Kirk servers were swamped. Ended up with about 20 charges to the credit card! Same thing happened to a LOT of folks. Kirk is trying to sort it out. I did use another credit card for ONE attempt.....and I'm hoping that one went through. I contacted the credit card company with the 20 or so charges and they have cancelled all of them. I confirmed the charge to the other credit card went through........

I called Kirk about 11:10 am and someone actually answered. She took my name and phone number and said they will check out to make sure I have 1 L plate on order. Or not....

If not, I'll get it eventually. Not worth stressing about it.............;)

I started modifying an old RRS camera plate before sending off the cam but stopped when it looked like I could get a Kirk plate shortly after getting my camera back from Nikon.
But with today's fiasco and no confirmation of my order I was once agin motivated to finish it. So it's ready to try on my Z8. It's not pretty (I've modified this plate before) but if my Kirk order doesn't go thru I'm going to wait it out until they have sufficient stock.

I put 1 Kirk L bracket in my cart at about 9:20 am. Then for the next 30 minutes tried to process payment. Error message was "server problem".....so I tried again assuming Kirk servers were swamped. Ended up with about 20 charges to the credit card! Same thing happened to a LOT of folks. Kirk is trying to sort it out. I did use another credit card for ONE attempt.....and I'm hoping that one went through. I contacted the credit card company with the 20 or so charges and they have cancelled all of them. I confirmed the charge to the other credit card went through........

I called Kirk about 11:10 am and someone actually answered. She took my name and phone number and said they will check out to make sure I have 1 L plate on order. Or not....

If not, I'll get it eventually. Not worth stressing about it.............;)
She took my name and number as well. I think they have a big fiasco on their hands. Hopefully they can get all this straightened out soon but it is what it is...
The way I look at it is I'd rather be in my shoes, not theirs right now...

For the 3leggedthing Z8 L-bracket called Zooey you can sign up for details at this web page

https://www.3leggedthing.com/uk/coming-soon-nikon
I like the design of this, does anyone know if those two screws on the bottom cover up a QD socket? I need the QD socket for my Black Rapid strap and QD connector. If there is no QD attachment point, this is a no go from the beginning.

1689019454376.png

I'd say they do not. They have 3/8" to 1/4" threaded adapters in those holes. QD hole would be smooth with a groove at the top.
That's what I figured and that is what it looks like from that small image, but I somehow hoped I could be wrong as this bracket has everything I need. The Kirk and RRS bracket does not have any 1/4-20 hole in the side L portion which I need for my Spyder pin, and this bracket doesn't have QD socket for my Black Rapid strap, which leaves only the Smallrig bracket that has both 1/4-20 in the side and QD socket on the bottom - but the Smallrig bracket has a full base with shroud around the battery door that I don't really want as it just makes accessing the battery a little more difficult.

I spoke with Kirk this morning. They will be contacting (hopefully ) today those customers who placed orders yesterday to explain what they are doing to straighten out the mess of multiple orders. Please be patient..... They are doing their best to mitigate any adverse impact to their customers.

I placed my order yesterday morning and got an order number and said I would get an email with order confirmation and tracking info. I got an email from Kirk this morning saying that they were refunding my money. After trying to call for about 45 minutes, I finally got thru and talked to someone. They told me that the website had crashed and that they were refunding everyone's money. They told me that I would get an email or a phone call with a code that I could use to place my order again as I was one of the ones who had placed an order on Monday. The website is showing out of stock.

I placed my order yesterday morning and got an order number and said I would get an email with order confirmation and tracking info. I got an email from Kirk this morning saying that they were refunding my money. After trying to call for about 45 minutes, I finally got thru and talked to someone. They told me that the website had crashed and that they were refunding everyone's money. They told me that I would get an email or a phone call with a code that I could use to place my order again as I was one of the ones who had placed an order on Monday. The website is showing out of stock.
I think the only way they untangle that mess is to back out (ie, refund all money) and start over. Sounds like they agree.
This could have all been avoided if they just accepted preorders. Instead they created a mad rush with the 9AM business and their system could not handle it.

I think the only way they untangle that mess is to back out (ie, refund all money) and start over. Sounds like they agree.
This could have all been avoided if they just accepted preorders. Instead they created a mad rush with the 9AM business and their system could not handle it.
More likely wrong choice of e-commerce platform, which also casts doubt on the security of our information on 'their' server.

Local camera store had SmallRig cages for the Z8 in stock, so I got one. Not the ideal setup but it beats the universal L-bracket or generic arca plate. I think it works great and seems well made. For $70 the quality seems on par with all the other SmallRig gear I use and the value is excellent. Since I'm doing about an equal amount of video versus photos, it seemed worthwhile since I do attach a lot of gear to the camera.

IMG_2157-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The biggest complaint about the cage is that it adds too much thickness to the grip and unlike their other cages, it doesn't have a 3/8 arri-style attachment on the left side of the cage. It also limits my options for vertical orientation on a camera that really supports it. I'll still likely get the Kirk or Pro Media Gear L-bracket when they're more widely available since I've had several in the past and I'm impressed with their quality. Here's what I can't figure out though: If Nikon was so secretive about the Z8 and didn't send out specs to all these major manufacturers of plates and brackets, how did SmallRig have a Z8 specific cage out within weeks of the Z8 release? Does this Chinese company have some connection in Thailand?
As far as the whole Kirk fiasco, it was just hubris that made them believe their website could handle the demand. What were they thinking?

Local camera store had SmallRig cages for the Z8 in stock, so I got one. Not the ideal setup but it beats the universal L-bracket or generic arca plate. I think it works great and seems well made. For $70 the quality seems on par with all the other SmallRig gear I use and the value is excellent. Since I'm doing about an equal amount of video versus photos, it seemed worthwhile since I do attach a lot of gear to the camera.

View attachment 65473

The biggest complaint about the cage is that it adds too much thickness to the grip and unlike their other cages, it doesn't have a 3/8 arri-style attachment on the left side of the cage. It also limits my options for vertical orientation on a camera that really supports it. I'll still likely get the Kirk or Pro Media Gear L-bracket when they're more widely available since I've had several in the past and I'm impressed with their quality. Here's what I can't figure out though: If Nikon was so secretive about the Z8 and didn't send out specs to all these major manufacturers of plates and brackets, how did SmallRig have a Z8 specific cage out within weeks of the Z8 release? Does this Chinese company have some connection in Thailand?
As far as the whole Kirk fiasco, it was just hubris that made them believe their website could handle the demand. What were they thinking?
I'm glad they upped their game. The SmallRig Z9 cage is garbage; thin, flexes, and the threads are suspicious. The Tilta is far better. I wish my RRS bracket had attachment points for things like monitor, and I am the process of "making my own" by adding bits from Wooden Camera. I hope the Z8 gains acceptance in the video world and gets more support from the ecosystem.

I spoke with Kirk this morning. They will be contacting (hopefully ) today those customers who placed orders yesterday to explain what they are doing to straighten out the mess of multiple orders. Please be patient..... They are doing their best to mitigate any adverse impact to their customers.
Got a msg from them today saying people who orders got screwed up, will have a special hidden site to order from

Got a msg from them today saying people who orders got screwed up, will have a special hidden site to order from
Yep. Me, too. They are trying to be fair to those whose orders got messed up. Just a few minutes ago, I got the final two "refunds" to zero out my attempts yesterday.

Things happen - to good people and good companies. They seem committed to be fair to their customers.

Back