L Bracket for Nikon Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Yep. Me, too. They are trying to be fair to those whose orders got messed up. Just a few minutes ago, I got the final two "refunds" to zero out my attempts yesterday.

Things happen - to good people and good companies. They seem committed to be fair to their customers.
Only 2 . I got stuck in the order not accepted, try again. So I did and did and .. for 7 times. Got a note from RRS that my L brackets will ship this week or next - in which case I'll not order the Kirk bracket. Nothing against Kirk, just a life long RRS customer

how did SmallRig have a Z8 specific cage out within weeks of the Z8 release? Does this Chinese company have some connection in Thailand?
On this detail Smallrig seem to be a Chinese company - making a wide range of fairly complex camera/video accessories - that has access to a good design team - and numerous models for other cameras in production.

Once the Z8 became available Smallrig might have been able to modify another fitting bracket to prototype stage within 2 weeks, test for perhaps 10 days, and get into production within other 2 or 3 weeks.
Smallrig are "market sensitive" in that they get important new high demand products on sale quickly and "shift production' to where current demand will be - as Z7 accessories were deleted some weeks ago.

In the UK Ricci has indicated that 3-legged-thing had some early access to the Z7. They were probably first with an L grip for the Z7.
They have just announced their Z8 L Bracket design - with delivery in September - indicating manufacture in the China/Thailand area and transit to UK/Europe by sea.

RRS has been no quicker off the mark .
I get an impression because of the launch fiasco that they perhaps do not understand the size of the market - and that Z8 owners want this type of product "now" rather than 6 months after the Z8 launch.

Back to the Chinese - they are able to make very high class pottery/ceramics for low prices.
I get the impression the Chinese are better at getting good products at good prices to market quicker than USA or Europe.

Local camera store had SmallRig cages for the Z8 in stock, so I got one. Not the ideal setup but it beats the universal L-bracket or generic arca plate. I think it works great and seems well made. For $70 the quality seems on par with all the other SmallRig gear I use and the value is excellent. Since I'm doing about an equal amount of video versus photos, it seemed worthwhile since I do attach a lot of gear to the camera.

View attachment 65473

The biggest complaint about the cage is that it adds too much thickness to the grip and unlike their other cages, it doesn't have a 3/8 arri-style attachment on the left side of the cage. It also limits my options for vertical orientation on a camera that really supports it. I'll still likely get the Kirk or Pro Media Gear L-bracket when they're more widely available since I've had several in the past and I'm impressed with their quality. Here's what I can't figure out though:
For those yet to move into "high standard video production" - your set up indicates it can be relatively complex involving a learning curve.

Smallrig in the UK sell direct via Amazon at £49.90 including 20% sales tax - indication there are extra retail overheads/margins selling via a retailer network to get to $70.

I got refunded by Kirk but received no email form them. I have no intention of ordering the plate again anytime soon. The old RRS plate I modified fits perfectly so I'll wait until Kirk has stock: After this fiasco I will no longer place an order with Kirk if they do not have stock.

I got refunded by Kirk but received no email form them. I have no intention of ordering the plate again anytime soon. The old RRS plate I modified fits perfectly so I'll wait until Kirk has stock: After this fiasco I will no longer place an order with Kirk if they do not have stock.
FWIW.......Kirk will be sending out an email today to those who tried to order the L plate on Monday. The private link will allowing those who want to re-order the plate to do so.

I'll certainly be re-ordering.

FWIW.......Kirk will be sending out an email today to those who tried to order the L plate on Monday. The private link will allowing those who want to re-order the plate to do so.

I'll certainly be re-ordering.
Thanks for that info!
Yes, I will be re-ordering at some point. If I get an email saying the have one with my name on it (so to speak) I may order it then. Otherwise I can wait until they have stock.

I sold my D500, D810, and D850 cameras to pay for my new Z8 camera when it comes in. I have Kirk, and RRS base plates from those cameras and planning on trying to convert one to the Z8 when I get my camera and can see what will be involved, or even possible. I'm wondering if you can post a photo of what your conversion changes look like? Thanks

Thanks for that info!
Yes, I will be re-ordering at some point. If I get an email saying the have one with my name on it (so to speak) I may order it then. Otherwise I can wait until they have stock.
The "introductory" price was very good - and will not last long. (Shipping price to ship a piece of non-breakable metal was a shock, though!)

I think they have enough L plates for those who tried to order on Monday. And - I need the plate by the end of August. So I will definitely go ahead and order.

I sold my D500, D810, and D850 cameras to pay for my new Z8 camera when it comes in. I have Kirk, and RRS base plates from those cameras and planning on trying to convert one to the Z8 when I get my camera and can see what will be involved, or even possible. I'm wondering if you can post a photo of what your conversion changes look like? Thanks
I'm not sure this is going to help. The plate I used is from way back when (not sure what cam it was made for). I do have a small milling machine that allowed me to counterbore for the new hole position. As you can see it's not pretty and was modified once before (pre-milling machine). The lip fits under the monitor perfectly (or I would have machined the lip to fit). The lower right hole is what the Z8 uses - the lower left was for the original camera. But the key here is this is a solid plate and not hogged out like the new models so modifying it was possible.
Good luck!

I need to tighten the safety screw !

Plate-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Plate-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
The "introductory" price was very good - and will not last long. (Shipping price to ship a piece of non-breakable metal was a shock, though!)

I think they have enough L plates for those who tried to order on Monday. And - I need the plate by the end of August. So I will definitely go ahead and order.
Yes, by all means take advantage of that introductory pricing. I hope you're able to get one!
Oh, yes, shipping was a bit of a surprise. Not sure why they switched up from USPS....
I'm just interested in the plate so that price may not change??

Thanks for the images. I have a milling machine also and planning on trying one of my plates. Their all mosty the newer styles. Since it will be only temporary, I'll probably try to convert the D810 plate since I doubt that I'll ever buy another D810.

I'm not sure this is going to help. The plate I used is from way back when (not sure what cam it was made for). I do have a small milling machine that allowed me to counterbore for the new hole position. As you can see it's not pretty and was modified once before. The lip fit under the monitor perfectly (or I would have machined the lip to fit if it was too tall). The lower right hole is what the Z8 uses - the lower left was for the original camera. But the key here is this is a solid plate and not hogged out like the new models so modifying it was possible.
Good luck!

I need to tighten the safety screw !

View attachment 65514View attachment 65515

One of the things I love about RRS is how beefy they are. As I upgrade cameras, I keep the old brackets and convert them to "generic" plates. And at least for Nikon, the pro bodies are similar enough that it's easy to shave off the front lip and get an entire L. D5 to Z9, if I recall, worked although I much prefer the new modular design.

I had a discussion with them a couple weeks back regarding video products, specifically a cage. What's on the market is weak.

I just placed the NEW order for the L bracket. The private link worked fine. However, I didn't get a confirmation number or email.....so I replied to the Kirk email asking if the order had been received. They confirmed the order went through.

So.......don't panic if you don't get a confirmation repsonse......and do NOT place multiple orders................:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the images. I have a milling machine also and planning on trying one of my plates. Their all mosty the newer styles. Since it will be only temporary, I'll probably try to convert the D810 plate since I doubt that I'll ever buy another D810.
Good luck and have fun. Let us know how it works out!!

I just placed the NEW order for the L bracket. The private link worked fine. However, I didn't get a confirmation number or email.....so I replied to the Kirk email asking if the order had been received. They confirmed the order went through.

So.......don't panic if you don't get a confirmation repsonse......and do NOT place multiple orders................:ROFLMAO:
I did not get an email with that link...but glad it worked out for you....

If you have a RRS D850 L bracket then no milling is required. You just need to remove or trim down the tab that is sticking out. That is how I did mine. Here are some pictures of how I did it in this link. https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/d850-to-z8-l-bracket-modification.24995/

The port covers are no more, no less accessible than any other dedicated L bracket, but the focus selection button is kind of blocked. You can still get to it with a finder tip but not full button access.

The Leofoto LPN-Z8 is now shipping - US$49.99

Kirk server is down again. I called but wasn't able to get one because they are out of stock now. I was told to subscribe to the stock alert again. Said maybe they will have some again in two-three weeks.

No, nothing. I did get refunded tho.
As it turns out, Kirk just called to confirm my order went through.

@Rogereh Yes, the Kirk servers are temporarily down.

@Geoff_G I told him about your situation. And he said to keep calling and when you get through they will cross reference your order and get you on the list to re-order.

Further information: They are processing re-orders in small batches.......so if you got the email yesterday but haven't received an email yet today with the link to re-order, be patient. It is coming.

Thank you for that, more of what I've been looking for, an L bracket that has QD on bottom and 1/4-20 on L, I'd prefer not to have the full bottom plate that surrounds the battery but a minor inconvenience. Basically a Smallrig copy but with a hex key (preferred) instead of the new slot screw that Smallrig is now using. Only problem is there is no "Add to cart" option here, so how do I order one?

Noting that the Leofoto version has a QD socket, for those for whom that matters. $50 seems both reasonable and too low at the same time, based on what the RRS and Kirk versions cost. I think I'd rather have one that doesn't cover the battery door, but it's not like there is an excess of available options at the moment.

Back