Nikon 180-600 - Photo Share & Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A nice surprise on a rather overcast day. The 186 identified and tracked well.
Peregrine 12 oclock000.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have a heck of a time 'guessing' distance. Maybe I am not alone on that. So I ordered a range finder for myself Christmas gift. :)
This photo was 70 to 80 yards, suggested by the animals owner.

View attachment 76920
Being an old golfer, hunter with rifle and shotgun and target shooter (long retired from all) should help a lot ... but ... I can still be well off the mark depending on the subject, it's color, size and the light all "conspiring" against me :)

I have a heck of a time 'guessing' distance. Maybe I am not alone on that. So I ordered a range finder for myself Christmas gift. :)
This photo was 70 to 80 yards, suggested by the animals owner.

View attachment 76920
I've just started looking at rangefinders for the same reason. If you don't mind sharing what did you get and are you happy with it? The few I looked at referred to "reflective objects". Advertised at 1400 yds but only 750 for deer.???? Wondering exactly what that means and how it would pertain to Orcas over large expanses of water.

I've just started looking at rangefinders for the same reason. If you don't mind sharing what did you get and are you happy with it? The few I looked at referred to "reflective objects". Advertised at 1400 yds but only 750 for deer.???? Wondering exactly what that means and how it would pertain to Orcas over large expanses of water.
I have not received it yet. I bought a Nikon unit, Nikon Prostaff Rangefinder. I'm into it at 170 dollars

Rangefinders need some sort of reflection to get the distance. Things that are less reflective (or at an angle) provide less information back, or none, making the accuracy questionable. There's also beam spread, weather, etc, to consider.

Christmas Eve, and I just had to get out of the house for some solitude and fresh air. It's 50F and misty/rainy here, just the most drab overcast, crap light you can ask for. Yet, I still took the rig out, the Z8 + 186, on the off-chance that I see an owl or something cool. Instead, came across a surprise bird in the form of Golden-crowned Kinglets! I was stoked, thought these little fellas left during the winter, so I got a nice little gift to take my mind off the cabin fever. Of course the 186 was an all star, sharp results and pin-point AF performance even in the horrid conditions.
NIKON Z 8800PF_20231224_38-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

Christmas Eve, and I just had to get out of the house for some solitude and fresh air. It's 50F and misty/rainy here, just the most drab overcast, crap light you can ask for. Yet, I still took the rig out, the Z8 + 186, on the off-chance that I see an owl or something cool. Instead, came across a surprise bird in the form of Golden-crowned Kinglets! I was stoked, thought these little fellas left during the winter, so I got a nice little gift to take my mind off the cabin fever. Of course the 186 was an all star, sharp results and pin-point AF performance even in the horrid conditions.
Great job Matthew - really showing off the colors of the bird and the lens.

Great job Matthew - really showing off the colors of the bird and the lens.
Much appreciated, thank you. The pop of color from the crown of these Kinglets is very stark against the blah. The bright purple-ish streak on the left is a purple bramble; really was hoping he’d land on that, but just like me, birds seem to hate those things.

Really impressed with this lens and this young red tailed hawk enjoyed posing for it

View attachment 77051
Love the shot; are their snouts green like that at that age?
The area behind the beak varies with the "morph" of the bird and also regionally but all of them will have a different color in the first year. A shade of green is quite common. If you want a light dose of more info. you can go here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-tailed_Hawk/id

If you really get into raptors the book "The Crossley ID Guide" raptors is great.

It's finally winter here in Wisconsin, after weeks of abnormally warm temps. We woke up to snow this morning, and so I ventured forth with the 186 in an attempt to grab some/any bird photos I could. Since it's been constant all day, birds have hunkered down, so it was slim pickings outside of the usual backyard feeder birds.
NIKON Z 8untitled_20231228_61.jpg

NIKON Z 8untitled_20231228_57-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Back