Nikon 180-600 - Photo Share & Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Friggin Frigate...
Frigate0000.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I went out to the local park that has resident Red-headed Woodpeckers, in an attempt to get some environmental shots using the 186. Frigid weather after a night where we got 13" of snow, in fact it started snowing again while I was out there. I wore some snow camo in the hopes the RHWs would unwittingly fly in close, but that didn't happen in the short time before it started getting dark and my hands started turning to ice blocks.
NIKON Z 8untitled_20240113_60-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg

NIKON Z 8untitled_20240113_21-Enhanced-NR.jpg

I went out to the local park that has resident Red-headed Woodpeckers, in an attempt to get some environmental shots using the 186. Frigid weather after a night where we got 13" of snow, in fact it started snowing again while I was out there. I wore some snow camo in the hopes the RHWs would unwittingly fly in close, but that didn't happen in the short time before it started getting dark and my hands started turning to ice blocks.
View attachment 79042
View attachment 79043
Fun shots though. I hope you poured whiskey over your poor hands when you got home. Really enjoyed seeing these.

I picked mine up today and tested it at sunset (will post photos after I edit). I don't know if this has been mentioned on this thread, but there is a very odd design choice with this lens. The strap lugs are on the removable lens collar, not the lens body, so if you remove the collar (as I did to save weight) you cannot attach a strap. This is also troublesome for people who use the Kirk replacement collar, since it has no lugs.

I picked mine up Monday, February 12, 2024. I tested it out late that afternoon at Sweetwater Wetlands, where I was blessed with more large mammals than usual in a single visit. I shot handheld with the tripod collar removed on a Z8. The results are outstanding and anyone who says this lens is not sharp is misinformed. Here is a timeline of shots.

12:31pm lens pickup​
4:16pm green heron​
12 31.jpg
4 16.JPG
4:43pm female blackbird​
4:57pm coyote​
4 43.JPG
4 57.jpg
5:28pm male blackbird​
5:36pm female bobcat​
5 28.JPG
5 36.jpg
6:00pm roadrunner​
6:05pm male bobcat​
6 00.JPG
6 05.JPG
6:17pm javelina​
6:28pm moon​

Had to continue here due to limitation on attachments.

6:17pm javelina​
6:28pm moon​
Love the timeline, down the exact minute 😂 what a day though! Agree on the lens, it’s outstanding, right?! Bet you’re stoked to see for yourself after the long wait!

I believe that the universe knows we are excited when we finally get new gear, and that energy is reflected in our environment. Whenever a new lens gets delivered and I immediately take it out, it seems like I have much better luck and my photos turn out better. Likewise, when I’m in a low energy negative mood, I’ll go out and not see a thing for weeks.

I am more and more happy with this lens. The fw 2.0 for the Z8 gave it a boost in terms of AF speed and accuracy. The DXO lens module gave it some punch where needed. I am deeply in love now.
DSC_0519_DxO_DxOdp.jpg
DSC_0954_DxO_DxOdp.jpg
DSC_1917_DxO_DxOdp.jpg

TEST WITH Z 2X TELECONVERTER.
I decided to do a few test shots this afternoon to see how the combination works.
FOCUS is sluggish, SHARPNESS was decent on a few shots (but poor on most), partly due to high ISO from f13.
HANDHOLDING was not easily done and I used it resting on a railing.
CONCLUSION is that it is not practical for general use, but can be used in a pinch. I would only use it on a relatively stable subject that I could not get otherwise (e.g. a mountain lion on a hillside).
Full Image (Camera JPEG)​
Crop to Actual Pixels (Camera JPEG)​
DSC_7227.JPG
DSC_7227 copy.jpg
DSC_7244.JPG
DSC_7244 copy.jpg
DSC_7248.JPG
DSC_7248 copy.jpg

TEST WITH Z 2X TELECONVERTER.
I decided to do a few test shots this afternoon to see how the combination works.
FOCUS is sluggish, SHARPNESS was decent on a few shots (but poor on most), partly due to high ISO from f13.
HANDHOLDING was not easily done and I used it resting on a railing.
CONCLUSION is that it is not practical for general use, but can be used in a pinch. I would only use it on a relatively stable subject that I could not get otherwise (e.g. a mountain lion on a hillside).
Full Image (Camera JPEG)​
Crop to Actual Pixels (Camera JPEG)​
Do you have the 1.4 to try out?

Back