Nikon 180-600mm lens ship date

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently it'll be the 17th, per nikon japan press release. Or... They're going to announce the release date? I'd love a japanese speaker to translate

Last edited:
I updated the shipping address for my B&H order and received the following confirmation:
1690895058013.png

I then emailed back B&H and their response was this "this is the latest information we have from the manufacturer". Take that for what it is... 🤞

Nikon Rumors has reported that the release date is being postponed. One source (in Austria, apparently) says it is "likely" to be changed to mid-September.

Nikon Rumors has reported that the release date is being postponed. One source (in Austria, apparently) says it is "likely" to be Das offiziell geplante Erscheinungsdatum ist der 15.08.2023, wie auf der Webseite erwähnt. Jedoch wird dieses höchstwahrscheinlich auf Mitte bis Ende September verlegt werden.

“Das offiziell geplante Erscheinungsdatum ist der 15.08.2023, wie auf der Webseite erwähnt. Jedoch wird dieses höchstwahrscheinlich auf Mitte bis Ende September verlegt werden.”

“The official planned release date is 08/15/2023 as mentioned on the website. However, this will most likely be postponed to mid to late September.”

Nikon rumors report the ship date has been pushed back to mid-Sept. Perhaps Nikon is overwhelmed with orders and trying to get another month's production in before the release the lens.

Nikon rumors report the ship date has been pushed back to mid-Sept. Perhaps Nikon is overwhelmed with orders and trying to get another month's production in before the release the lens.

Just noticed a release date on this page: https://www.nikon-image.com/products/nikkor/zmount/nikkor_z_180-600mm_f56-63_vr/
IMG_7674.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Could also just be a place holder. We'll see how it goes. I'd like it sooner, if only to make sure it actually exists and nikon isn't going to screw up another easy goal.

It being in the last day of August doesn't particularly inspire confidence we'll see it before September though. And if it was because of "unexpected demand", I'm not sure nikon execs have a clue.

Last edited:
Interesting - has date but no price. Elsewhere the price is know but the date is not.
There’s a note towards the bottom of the page to contact dealers for pricing. And there’s a link to Nikon Direct (Nikon’s online store in Japan) which has the price.

Could also just be a place holder. We'll see how it goes. I'd like it sooner, if only to make sure it actually exists and nikon isn't going to screw up another easy goal.

It being in the last day of August doesn't particularly inspire confidence we'll see it before September though. And if it was because of "unexpected demand", I'm not sure nikon execs have a clue.
Nikon, as I have seen especially in the US, has taken a lot of flack/heat/griping, the past few years from non NPS members who watched NPS members order the same products later but get them much sooner. Recently, with the Z8 and now with this 180-600, Nikon seems to be holding back the release of products until a large number of units can also make their way into the hands of non NPS members in the first wave of released products.

I doubt Nikon undercounted the demand that would come from non NPS members as this consumer grade glass has been sitting on the roadmap for multiple years and was constantly discussed and wanted by the masses. But I‘m not surprised they underestimated the numbers of professionals who would put in NPS priority requests for a consumer grade zoom covering 400 + mm worth of distance and is f/5.6 at its brightest range of 180 mm. What imaging executive would bet his or her job that a professional would want a 180 mm f/5.6 lens?

It would be a bad look if Nikon released the 180-600 and the only people getting them early on were NPS professionals. That’s a look Nikon wants to avoid at all costs. And the cost may very well mean September shipments to consumers of all sorts.

Nikon, as I have seen especially in the US, has taken a lot of flack/heat/griping, the past few years from non NPS members who watched NPS members order the same products later but get them much sooner. Recently, with the Z8 and now with this 180-600, Nikon seems to be holding back the release of products until a large number of units can also make their way into the hands of non NPS members in the first wave of released products.

I doubt Nikon undercounted the demand that would come from non NPS members as this consumer grade glass has been sitting on the roadmap for multiple years and was constantly discussed and wanted by the masses. But I‘m not surprised they underestimated the numbers of professionals who would put in NPS priority requests for a consumer grade zoom covering 400 + mm worth of distance and is f/5.6 at its brightest range of 180 mm. What imaging executive would bet his or her job that a professional would want a 180 mm f/5.6 lens?

It would be a bad look if Nikon released the 180-600 and the only people getting them early on were NPS professionals. That’s a look Nikon wants to avoid at all costs. And the cost may very well mean September shipments to consumers of all sorts.
My counter point is they could have gotten the lens out sooner than nearly 4 years from the announcement. They've already dragged their feet quite a bit on this one, and not planning for high demand (compared to the sony 200-600, which was also extremely high demand and popular) was a massive planning mistake.

Saw that. Given what appears to be a delay, we’ll have to wait and see. I prefer that Nikon ship this lens when it’s truly ready for customer use and not before then.
I would assume that Nikon has been building up stock for a while and most of the lenses that will go out when released would've been manufactured weeks, if not months, prior to the release date. That would mean that the 'release for sale' determination by Nikon higher ups was made quite a while back and I have no idea what, if any, ongoing QA testing has been occurring since that date.

I would assume that Nikon has been building up stock for a while and most of the lenses that will go out when released would've been manufactured weeks, if not months, prior to the release date. That would mean that the 'release for sale' determination by Nikon higher ups was made quite a while back and I have no idea what, if any, ongoing QA testing has been occurring since that date.
release date is often fluid based upon a number of factors. FOr example the Z 8 recall may be putting strain on the shipping areas of Nikon so they either (1) wait to get the initail of recalls done, or (2) halt sending shipping labels for a while in order to hand shipping the 180-600 lenses out.

release date is often fluid based upon a number of factors. FOr example the Z 8 recall may be putting strain on the shipping areas of Nikon so they either (1) wait to get the initail of recalls done, or (2) halt sending shipping labels for a while in order to hand shipping the 180-600 lenses out.
I expect them to split the difference. They need to get lenses out to make money too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back