Nikon 180-600mm lens ship date

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect them to split the difference. They need to get lenses out to make money too.
Of course, on point is that they may adjust time based upon other factors. First ship dates are very flexible. Nikon xxx could have a ton on lenses read to ship but until Nikon HQ says ship, they will remain in the warehouse (perhaps they are in a warehouse somewhere in Japan or asia - don't know)

Nikon, as I have seen especially in the US, has taken a lot of flack/heat/griping, the past few years from non NPS members who watched NPS members order the same products later but get them much sooner. Recently, with the Z8 and now with this 180-600, Nikon seems to be holding back the release of products until a large number of units can also make their way into the hands of non NPS members in the first wave of released products.

I doubt Nikon undercounted the demand that would come from non NPS members as this consumer grade glass has been sitting on the roadmap for multiple years and was constantly discussed and wanted by the masses. But I‘m not surprised they underestimated the numbers of professionals who would put in NPS priority requests for a consumer grade zoom covering 400 + mm worth of distance and is f/5.6 at its brightest range of 180 mm. What imaging executive would bet his or her job that a professional would want a 180 mm f/5.6 lens?

It would be a bad look if Nikon released the 180-600 and the only people getting them early on were NPS professionals. That’s a look Nikon wants to avoid at all costs. And the cost may very well mean September shipments to consumers of all sorts.

Most of the NPS members I know aren't professionals and many professionals I know shooting Nikons aren't NPS. It's a joke everyone's aware of.

Most of the NPS members I know aren't professionals and many professionals I know shooting Nikons aren't NPS. It's a joke everyone's aware of.
What is the definition of "professional"? If they are NPS members then they meet Nikon's definition. Your or my definition isn't really relevant in this context. It's the same deal with photographer permits for national parks in the USA. I know several people who don't make a living with photography(my definition of professional) but they qualify for professional photographer permits according to the National Park Service. And lying on the application is a crime under federal law :eek: Sideline passes at sporting events? Same deal. And the list goes on....

What is the definition of "professional"? If they are NPS members then they meet Nikon's definition. Your or my definition isn't really relevant in this context. It's the same deal with photographer permits for national parks in the USA. I know several people who don't make a living with photography(my definition of professional) but they qualify for professional photographer permits according to the National Park Service. And lying on the application is a crime under federal law :eek: Sideline passes at sporting events? Same deal. And the list goes on....

I don't disagree at all, I just think it's a silly scheme. Like putting a Pro label on a camcorder and thinking anyone falls for it. I make a living doing it, and qualify but never bothered on both Sony and Nikon. I get great treatment from my shop and get the product and service I need.

I always wonder in today's world of social media and SEO if the many rumors about products and release dates don't pay huge dividends to manufacturers. A lens is announced and social media is flooded with lots of references to the product.. If postings die down, you announce or "let a rumor out" that will get everyone talking again. Positive or negative talk, it doesn't really matter in terms of internet presence.

I always wonder in today's world of social media and SEO if the many rumors about products and release dates don't pay huge dividends to manufacturers. A lens is announced and social media is flooded with lots of references to the product.. If postings die down, you announce or "let a rumor out" that will get everyone talking again. Positive or negative talk, it doesn't really matter in terms of internet presence.
I'm not so sure that offsets the negative spin up that happens when the 1/1000(or 10,000) problems get posted on social media.

Social media and rumors - There is a saying - "there is no such thing as bad publicity"
People forget the bad rather quickly - Apparently, 90% of people who die were Saints

NPS - you got the money - you got the gear - you get the badge.
Nikon is a business - nothing less - nothing more. The better they operate - the better for us.

to add - I believe they want the lens to ship just as we want the lens to arrive.

Last edited:
The problem is, a lot of us aren't on social media and don't care about it.

“We would like to inform you that the release date of "NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR" has been decided, which was scheduled to be released in August 2023.

Release date: August 31, 2023 (Thursday)”

“We would like to inform you that the release date of "NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR" has been decided, which was scheduled to be released in August 2023.

Release date: August 31, 2023 (Thursday)”

You forgot, what also included.

No, for real they are going to ship this lens with a ShamWow instead of a case? It’s not as though Nikon can’t figure out how to make great cases. The one that my 800 PF came in is a great example.

The expensive ones like that used to come in pretty solid looking hard cases, but these days everything is in something that reminds me of a moneybag from a Robin Hood movie.

The expensive ones like that used to come in pretty solid looking hard cases, but these days everything is in something that reminds me of a moneybag from a Robin Hood movie.
I wish it were as high quality as a moneybag from a movie. My Tammykon 70-180 shipped with a ShamWow which I thought was a microfiber cloth to clean the glass so I didn’t even bother taking it out of the package. A neoprene case is inexpensive and they sell for around $15-20 on Amazon, though I haven’t seen one large enough for the 180-600. Frequently, I travel with a non-camera backpack so I like the option of throwing the individual lenses in cases though finding an old wetsuit and repurposing a leg is always a possibility.

Last edited:
I wish it were as high quality as a moneybag from a movie. My NikoTammy 70-180 shipped with a ShamWow which I thought was a microfiber cloth to clean the glass so I didn’t even bother taking it out of the package. A neoprene case is inexpensive and they sell for around $15-20 on Amazon, though I haven’t seen one large enough for the 180-600. Frequently, I travel with a non-camera backpack so I like the option of throwing the individual lenses in cases though finding an old wetsuit and repurposing a leg is always a possibility.
I bought the CL-1434 semi soft case which comes with the 200-500. It’s probably a bit short but I’m hoping it’ll provide some protection when I store the lens at at home and when packed in my car en route to a shoot.

I bought the CL-1434 semi soft case which comes with the 200-500. It’s probably a bit short but I’m hoping it’ll provide some protection when I store the lens at at home and when packed in my car en route to a shoot.
It will likely be short as the case is a bit less than 11" long and the 180-600 runs about 12.5" according to Nikon specs. Sure, there are cases which will fit like the large ape case, though I was looking for something a little more compact like a thick neoprene sleeve.

This goes back to the thing where nikon apparently underestimated demand.

Sure, some of that is one person ordering from multiple places. But... Really? Someone really screwed their market research up on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back