Nikon Z8 Firmware 2.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Steve, which button did you use to activate the Cycle AF Area Mode ?
The video record button. Prior to that, I was using the video record button to change AF areas with a press and turn, now I just toggle it. The a1 has done this since day 1 and I use c1 on the top to toggle and it's been very effective.

In fact, I'll likely use this far more than an AF override button going forward since it's really quick to cycle and I don't have to keep pressing. It's really more of a game changer than it first appears, it changes the entire field workflow.

The video record button. Prior to that, I was using the video record button to change AF areas with a press and turn, now I just toggle it. The a1 has done this since day 1 and I use c1 on the top to toggle and it's been very effective.

In fact, I'll likely use this far more than an AF override button going forward since it's really quick to cycle and I don't have to keep pressing. It's really more of a game changer than it first appears, it changes the entire field workflow.
Thanks !!!

Since I don't have a Z8 to play with, my comments are from the z9 only.

I'm not sure I'd use this option for my use cases. It's pretty rare I'd have to swap between disparate options that aren't already on function buttons (eg single point to get through brush, and the hand off options that don't carry through when cycling based on your comments). The times I manually change af mode are when I'm going to set up for something specific with a custom area (wide and short above grass, or tall and thin to poke through it) as the default, and cycling through I don't think would be any faster? Maybe a bit, but I usually have time to swap.

Can you elaborate on why you feel it's a game changer?

I agree...
The Cycle AF Area Mode is a terrific addition. I used to have Fn1 and Fn2 assigned to different area modes but I've assigned the cycle AF Area mode to Fn1 and see little reason to dedicate Fn2 to a specific area mode given how nicely the Cycle AF Area mode feature works.

And there is a subtle nuance to this: Assigning Wide Area (S) (for example) to Fn2 does not change the base AF mode (the AF Area mode set by the Focus mode button on the left side of the camera) and is therefore incapable of focus persistence handoff. Whereas the new Cycle AF Area Mode function does change the camera's base AF Area Mode so it is capable of AF handoff. I like this much better....

Last edited:
Since I don't have a Z8 to play with, my comments are from the z9 only.

I'm not sure I'd use this option for my use cases. It's pretty rare I'd have to swap between disparate options that aren't already on function buttons (eg single point to get through brush, and the hand off options that don't carry through when cycling based on your comments). The times I manually change af mode are when I'm going to set up for something specific with a custom area (wide and short above grass, or tall and thin to poke through it) as the default, and cycling through I don't think would be any faster? Maybe a bit, but I usually have time to swap.

Can you elaborate on why you feel it's a game changer?

Mostly because I'm not pressing an additional button the entire time - that, and changing AF areas is almost instant.

For example, let's say you have 3D as an override on the Fn1 button and your primary AF area is Wide AF. If you get into a situation where 3D makes more sense, it's tempting to just push and hold the Fn1 button for the duration - I know because I see people do it all the time :) Heck I do it all the time instead of changing AF areas :)

Instead, if I see I need 3D for more than a moment, a quick press or two on my video record button puts me there in less than a second. Much more convenient than messing with the press-and-turn setup we had before.

The thing is, as Nikon shooters we have become accustomed to having AF areas scattered all over the camera on different buttons we have to continually press to use. I've always found that I'm much happier if I'm just in the proper AF mode without the extra presses. This makes switching AF modes very nearly as fast as overriding them.

However, this isn't a replacement for those overrides with action. There are still times I may be using Wide AF to get on a specific target and then want to handoff to Auto, for instance mid-flight. This doesn't do that :)

Where this shines is that it makes it much faster to jump to the proper AF area as needed. One of the major reasons for focus problems is using the wrong AF area. In the heat of the moment, it's tough to get yourself to switch to a better AF area - at least it is for most. AF overrides work, but if the best AF area for the job isn't on an override, it's tough to take the time to switch for fear of missing the shot. Once you get used to cycling (we call it toggling in the Sony world), it really makes a difference. At least it did for me. It's all about making the camera faster to use.

Also, this isn't just speculation on my part :) I've been using this with Sony for three years now and although ti sounds minor, it's made a big difference for the way I shoot.

All that said, everyone is different (just ask if BBAF is better than shutter AF LOL) so use what works for you. :)

I currently have Recall Shooting Function set to my video record button, used to override Subject Detect. Such a waste of a button, but you know what... I don't think I can count on one finger the number of times I needed to override RSF, instead choosing to assign/use Single Point AF to the fn1 if SDAF gets wonky. Especially now that Auto Area/3D have been improved w/ the new firmware, I see even less need for RSF assigned to a primary button (will probably move it over to the BKT button, which I'll never use in a million years). Think I'm going to do what Steve suggested above, instead assign AF Cycling to the record button.

I have RSF hold with subject detect turn off set to display button, as I do not really use it in shooting mode and it easy to reach with thumb if as I use back-button focussing. Af-modes set to video record button for quick cycling between subject types and fn1 set to new af mode cycle.

I currently have Recall Shooting Function set to my video record button, used to override Subject Detect. Such a waste of a button, but you know what... I don't think I can count on one finger the number of times I needed to override RSF, instead choosing to assign/use Single Point AF to the fn1 if SDAF gets wonky. Especially now that Auto Area/3D have been improved w/ the new firmware, I see even less need for RSF assigned to a primary button (will probably move it over to the BKT button, which I'll never use in a million years). Think I'm going to do what Steve suggested above, instead assign AF Cycling to the record button.
I like it on the video record button for one simple reason: if I'm changing AF areas, I'm not shooting. So, it one of the rare times my right index finger can be off the button :)

I like my other fingers available for when I am using the shutter release, so I tend to program those buttons accordingly.

I just did a Junco test out my backdoor using the 800PF, and... 🤯 it might as well be a new camera, because the AF is so surefooted and confident. Gone is the propensity for the 800PF to get lost if the subject wasn't in the neighborhood. I had two Juncos sitting a bit apart on different focus planes, and the AF was able to authoritatively and effortlessly catch focus on whichever bird I wanted to, even if it was OOF. Previously, the 800PF would just get lost and give up if you tried to bring focus back onto a blurry bird.

I used the word "authoritatively" above because it now feels like the AF slams into focus with a vice grip certainty, with almost the same feel as my D500 did. I already like this new confidence the Z8 has!

Umm... There's a NEW option called Cycle AF Area Mode that allows you to toggle between AF areas by pressing a button - and you can select which ones to put on the list! This might be second only to Bird AF for usefulness and the Z9 does not have it!

This was one of the things I've been requesting forever and they did a great job (I'm not sure if they got the idea form me or just grabbed it from Sony, but I'm glad it's there either way!)
it's a great addition, now you should ask them to copy other Sony stuff ;)like:
- subject detection single button toggle (bird,animal,off for example)
- any button can get any option , currently some buttons are limited in the options that can be assigned to them. There are a lot of buttons on the z8/z9 and with more options on ALL of them it could have been so much better (more amazing than it already is !) for example the OK button, the zoom in/zoom out buttons and the arrow buttons around the OK button, are in such a prime real estate and are so limited in functionality .
- an option to spot exposure with a button press
-zebras in stills

I also have Red Video button set to change AF modes on Z9. A single press and release, then I can scroll to the AF mode with the front wheel.
[ edit] The trick to this speedy setup is thanks to Custom: f6 menu item set to ON
As the dynamic modes are deactivated from the options in my Z9, there's fewer choices to cycle through.
This setup is essentially a Cycle AF mode... Very quick

Last edited:
That's how I'm doing it. I'm actually woking on a deep dive video for BIF settings with the Z8 and Z9. Just shot it, so I should be able to get it out in a week or two (the B-roll on that thing is a pain)
Dumb question - what is b-roll?

- any button can get any option , currently some buttons are limited in the options that can be assigned to them. There are a lot of buttons on the z8/z9 and with more options on ALL of them it could have been so much better (more amazing than it already is !) for example the OK button, the zoom in/zoom out buttons and the arrow buttons around the OK button, are in such a prime real estate and are so limited in functionality .
-zebras in stills
Already have - for a long time now. Plus others. There's a list on this site somewhere that I posted a year or more ago.

...In fact, I'll likely use this far more than an AF override button going forward since it's really quick to cycle and I don't have to keep pressing. It's really more of a game changer than it first appears, it changes the entire field workflow.
I agree that it's a game changer. Also potentially frees up other buttons being used for AF mode changes. This is probably the feature I missed most when I let go of the A1.

-zebras in stills

Already have - for a long time now. Plus others. There's a list on this site somewhere that I posted a year or more ago.
Even better than a Subject Detection on/off toggle would be to have SD cycle - just like AF (now).

Looking forward to that and other things coming to the Z9 ;) (pixel shift plz! [not sure it's possible with the IBIS in the Z9 - fingers crossed])

Cheers!

I have a Z9 and Z8. Glad to see bird ID and AF cycling (and other changes) for the Z8. And in time for spring bird migration.

When will the Z9 get items it does not now have? 😊

My Z8 is registered with Nikon. But no email yet. Thats ok. I tend to find out about updates more quickly on this forum, Nikon Rumors or Thom Hogan’s website.

I read about this last night on this forum. Just before turning the lights out for bed. Forced myself to go to sleep. Now off to update...

[FWIW, I receved an email from Nikon announcing the new Z8 firmware on 2/8/24.]

Last edited:
Umm... There's a NEW option called Cycle AF Area Mode that allows you to toggle between AF areas by pressing a button - and you can select which ones to put on the list! This might be second only to Bird AF for usefulness and the Z9 does not have it!

This was one of the things I've been requesting forever and they did a great job (I'm not sure if they got the idea form me or just grabbed it from Sony, but I'm glad it's there either way!)
This could give interesting opportunities.
May be it's a problerm only for people like me, who are often forced to longer shooting breaks, but my thumb is pretty reluctant to manage two or three different BBAF buttons and choose the right one instantaneously as the brain tells him to do - although my fingers should be used to this kind of flexibility due to playing organ and piano.

So it might be a good alternative to have one button for toggling AF modes and keep the BBAF button always at the same location.
If toggling with one button would work while AF is engaged (BBAF pressed) that would even be better.

But Ithink I will wait a bit anyway to be sure that Nikon has no rabbit problems with this firmware (curing one, causing multiple others).

Installed firmware and went out in the yard to try it. New bird ID significantly improves the initial focus acquisition and tracking. I will be out kayaking shortly and will see how improved it is when both the camera (due to movement of the water ) and the bird are moving.

Looks to me like a Z8 owner has to have a “spare” Express card to do the firmware update, rather than an SD? Can I use my express card, format, do the update, reformat and the put same card in Z8 and resume taking pictures? Do I need to reload my “settings card” or am I could to go? OR do I reformat my “settings “ card and do a save/update? Apologize. As I am new to this and don’t want to get myself into trouble!

Looks to me like a Z8 owner has to have a “spare” Express card to do the firmware update, rather than an SD? Can I use my express card, format, do the update, reformat and the put same card in Z8 and resume taking pictures? Do I need to reload my “settings card” or am I could to go? OR do I reformat my “settings “ card and do a save/update? Apologize. As I am new to this and don’t want to get myself into trouble!
SD card works fine. Just make sure the CFE card has been removed prior to attempting installation

Back