Nikon Z8 Firmware 2.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Loaded the firmware last night and got these this morning at Surfside, TX. I need some more practice but the equipment works well.
OSPREY - 3430.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• OSPREY - 3429.jpeg
    OSPREY - 3429.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 133
  • OSPREY - 3415.jpeg
    OSPREY - 3415.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 134
Just an FYI...you do NOT have to remove one or the other of the cards in your Z8 to update firmware, just make sure the card with the firmware on it is assigned as the PRIMARY card. Don't ask me how I found this out! :)
Yup, I mention this in my setup guide :)

Although, to be fair, it's easier to pop out a card than to reset the primary card slot :)

Does the addition of ā€œDedicated Bird Subject Detection Modeā€ include eye tracking? If not, do we know if that is still planned for H1 2024?

Last edited:
Does the addition of ā€œDedicated Bird Subject Detection Modeā€ include eye tracking? If not, do we know if that is still planned for H1 2024?

(yet to make it through all of the posts here)
All subject detection can track eyes. It refines as it goes Body > Face > Eyes. It can't always dig all the way down the list, but it does a good job most of the time. It's also depend to an extent on the photographer. If you're panning, the smooth the pan, the better it works. It also works better on closer birds than those that are farther away.

Yup, I mention this in my setup guide :)

Although, to be fair, it's easier to pop out a card than to reset the primary card slot :)
True about being easier to pop a card out...and then you don't have to remember to reset your primary card selection...:) I found this out when I did as I normally would and pulled the Slot 1 CFe card out, put the .bin file on it, re-installed the card in the camera and when I went to upgrade, the option wasn't presented. Then I remembered that on my Z8, I have my SD card set up as primary since I normally shoot stills the the SD and video to a 1TB card in the CFe slot...changed the SD to primary and voila...Bob's your uncle!

The new Z 8 firmware has put me in a bit of a dilemma. I was not expecting all the features from the Z 9 to be made available in the Z 8, I thought they would keep some Z 9 specifics to differentiate the new two models.

My dilemma is should I now sell my Z 9 and buy a second Z 8? I prefer the without grip version and only bought the Z 9 when it was first released to get the improved auto focus compared to my Z 7II. I wonder if raw pre-capture will ever make it into the Z 9 or if this needs a processor hardware upgrade for Nikon to offer this i.e. a Z 9II. This is the only reason personally I can see as a reason to keep my Z 9. If I sold it then Nikon released a new Z 9 firmware with some kind of raw pre-capture I would be upset. Decisions.

Last edited:
All subject detection can track eyes. It refines as it goes Body > Face > Eyes. It can't always dig all the way down the list, but it does a good job most of the time. It's also depend to an extent on the photographer. If you're panning, the smooth the pan, the better it works. It also works better on closer birds than those that are farther away.
Exciting! I've been wanting to upgrade to the Z8 from the D500 and have been waiting for this.

Perhaps it's due to still being a beginner. But being able to get tack-sharp eyes on BIF is something I've been having a bit of FOMO about :)

But disappointed that bracketing does not allow +/-2 shot so I can do under and meter or meter and over
There is a work around for this. Set your exposure comp so that when you are bracketing your base exposure is 0 at the +X setting. That way you get 2 stops of over or under exposure in addition to the proper +/- 0 exposure. Example: if you want to bracket for +/- 0, -.7 and -1.4, set your exposure comp for -.7 and your bracketing to 3 exposures with +/-.7. Yes, youā€™ll get an extra frame that you may not want, but youā€™ll avoid the +.7 exposure if you only want the =/- exposures.

My dilemma is should I now sell my Z 9 and buy a second Z 8? I prefer the without grip version and only bought the Z 9 when it was first released to get the improved auto focus compared to my Z 7II. I wonder if raw pre-capture will ever make it into the Z 9 or if this needs a processor hardware upgrade for Nikon to offer this i.e. a Z 9II. This is the only reason personally I can see as a reason to keep my Z 9. If I sold it then Nikon released a new Z 9 firmware with some kind of raw pre-capture I would be upset. Decisions.
i would recommend basing your decision on today's capabilities, not hypothetical ones that may or may not come out.

reasons to keep the z9: if you use the grip a lot, if you have a need for a real second card backup solution, if you do long form high bitrate video where thermal performance can be a benefit. there's probably a few others, but you get the idea.

Just get a Z8 and always be happy!
Thatā€™s why I had to buy both šŸ˜†
I had initially entertained the thought of purchasing a Z8 when it was first released, but convinced myself that a second Z9 was the better way to go. Now, with this firmware release, I'm leaning toward a Z8 as the second mirrorless camera in my bag.

But who knows, by the time I get to that point, there's no telling what new camera will be hitting the market!

Steve, thanks for posting the highlights as well as the details. Adding the bird AF is welcomed as is the af mode cycling feature. Now the big challenge will be figuring out how to optimize the function and reassign all of the buttons. Currently I have the shutter assigned to one AF area, the BBAF to another, and a fn button assigned to spot. Do you see any wisdom of keeping multiple buttons assigned to individual af modes or does it make more sense to just assign the cycling to a fn button which could work while shooting? No it doesnā€™t offer an override, but if the af has improved that significantly, and one can switch modes near instantaneously, is the need to handoff as pressing?

I had initially entertained the thought of purchasing a Z8 when it was first released, but convinced myself that a second Z9 was the better way to go. Now, with this firmware release, I'm leaning toward a Z8 as the second mirrorless camera in my bag.

But who knows, by the time I get to that point, there's no telling what new camera will be hitting the market!
I prefer the size of the Z8 but like the gps in the Z9 and that it can shoot unlimited video without thermal issues. That and the resale of the Z9 is not worth selling to replace with a Z8 I plan on keeping one of each for now. There will probably be a small feature leapfrogging between the two for another year.

Steve, thanks for posting the highlights as well as the details. Adding the bird AF is welcomed as is the af mode cycling feature. Now the big challenge will be figuring out how to optimize the function and reassign all of the buttons. Currently I have the shutter assigned to one AF area, the BBAF to another, and a fn button assigned to spot. Do you see any wisdom of keeping multiple buttons assigned to individual af modes or does it make more sense to just assign the cycling to a fn button which could work while shooting? No it doesnā€™t offer an override, but if the af has improved that significantly, and one can switch modes near instantaneously, is the need to handoff as pressing?
Ajrmd, just an fyi that. Might help with your concern, I assigned the new Cycle AF Area mode feature to my video on/off button. I originally had one of the wide focus areas assigned to my AF-on button. This freed up that button and allowed me to re-assign AF-on to that button, which also allowed me to use it for BBAF. I find i am able to cycle through my chosen AF modes is much quick than having each assigned to specific button.

Ajrmd, just an fyi that. Might help with your concern, I assigned the new Cycle AF Area mode feature to my video on/off button. I originally had one of the wide focus areas assigned to my AF-on button. This freed up that button and allowed me to re-assign AF-on to that button, which also allowed me to use it for BBAF. I find i am able to cycle through my chosen AF modes is much quick than having each assigned to specific button.
Appreciate the comments though Iā€™m more inclined to have it assigned to a fn button so I can keep a finger on/near the shutter. The question remains as to whether one invokes a ā€œhandoffā€ technique as often now that the af and subject recognition have improved. FWIW, I have video button assigned to a recall function in case Iā€™m shooting a static subject and a BIF pops into view.

Back