Nikon Z8 Firmware 2.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thank you for posting this. My Z8 is registered with Nikon and it is severely disappointing they have not emailed me with this information. (Maybe they will tomorrow or next day, but it would be nice if they would notify registered owners first).
I can't recall ever getting an email from them about any firmware update…

Looks to me like a Z8 owner has to have a “spare” Express card to do the firmware update, rather than an SD? Can I use my express card, format, do the update, reformat and the put same card in Z8 and resume taking pictures? Do I need to reload my “settings card” or am I could to go? OR do I reformat my “settings “ card and do a save/update? Apologize. As I am new to this and don’t want to get myself into trouble!
Update can be done with either an SD or CFe card as long as there is only 1 card in the camera. After updating the f/w, you can re-format the card and use as usual.

Yes, you should re-save your settings to the card you use as a back up for settings after updating to a new f/w version.

Looks to me like a Z8 owner has to have a “spare” Express card to do the firmware update, rather than an SD? Can I use my express card, format, do the update, reformat and the put same card in Z8 and resume taking pictures? Do I need to reload my “settings card” or am I could to go? OR do I reformat my “settings “ card and do a save/update? Apologize. As I am new to this and don’t want to get myself into trouble!
You can use any card. You don't even have to format the card. Just make sure the .bin file IS NOT IN A FOLDER on the card.

You should be able to use any available CFE or XQD card you have on hand. I just used my shooting CFE which I formatted (full format) first. After I was done, I reformatted the card again with full format. While I was running the update, I removed my SD card.

Gotta leave something for the Z9 to have first :)
I'm thinking it's going to be continual leapfrogging between the two as trying to coordinate testing for a simultaneous release would probably delay releases as compared to separate ones…and that we'll see the next Z9 one to add pixel shift and something else followed at some later time by a Z8 one with something else and something else 2. In my mind…they're thinking of the two bodies as both being essentially flagship bodies with slightly different form factors for slightly different user needs.. I can see that heat might cause some feature to be Z9 only or maybe a similar but not quite as much feature based on the thermal and battery boundaries in both bodies.

I also have Red Video button set to change AF modes on Z9. A single press and release, then I can scroll to the AF mode with the front wheel.
[ edit] The trick to this speedy setup is thanks to Custom: f6 menu item set to ON
As the dynamic modes are deactivated from the options in my Z9, there's fewer choices to cycle through.
This setup is essentially a Cycle AF mode... Very quick
That's what I was doing before…and after just trying the new way on the same button sitting in my chair…Steve's right, it's a lot faster to switch than with the wheel because one never remembers (well, at least ( don't) which wheel it is until the 3rd or 4th time in the field that day. But…maybe I just need to get out more.

Update can be done with either an SD or CFe card as long as there is only 1 card in the camera. After updating the f/w, you can re-format the card and use as usual.

Yes, you should re-save your settings to the card you use as a back up for settings after updating to a new f/w version.
Thanks!

Thanks - you covered all the bases! 👍

Probably true (I may still get one), but this seems like an unacceptable way to treat your customers. If I have gone to the trouble of registering my camera, why am I not notified before the general public via forums?
Maybe, but extremely high demand for a new release or update crashes Adobe servers - and Nikon is a lot smaller. Plus there is a staffing impact on the customer service folks. Under normal circumstances I would always recommend people wait a week for any bugs or issues to be identified.

I downloaded the software using Chrome on a PC, and installed it using the SD card slot without any issues.

• This download provided the .bin file directly - no need to unzip the file.
  • This firmware update does take a little longer than normal to install.
  • There will be some time spent to configure iMenu, Fn buttons, and new settings.
  • As before, these new functions have a learning curve and will involve some time and practice.

I also have Red Video button set to change AF modes on Z9. A single press and release, then I can scroll to the AF mode with the front wheel.
[ edit] The trick to this speedy setup is thanks to Custom: f6 menu item set to ON
As the dynamic modes are deactivated from the options in my Z9, there's fewer choices to cycle through.
This setup is essentially a Cycle AF mode... Very quick

That's what I was doing before…and after just trying the new way on the same button sitting in my chair…Steve's right, it's a lot faster to switch than with the wheel because one never remembers (well, at least ( don't) which wheel it is until the 3rd or 4th time in the field that day. But…maybe I just need to get out more.
I deactivate the AFS <>AFC option, so it's solely Front Wheel in my two primary Wildlife shooting banks.
I will be interested to try a Z8 with this new option but maybe the Z9 will get it one day :)

Umm... There's a NEW option called Cycle AF Area Mode that allows you to toggle between AF areas by pressing a button - and you can select which ones to put on the list! This might be second only to Bird AF for usefulness and the Z9 does not have it!

This was one of the things I've been requesting forever and they did a great job (I'm not sure if they got the idea form me or just grabbed it from Sony, but I'm glad it's there either way!)
Just upgraded my z8 and tried the new Cycle AF Area Mode. Assigned it to my AF-on button. It's just incredible! Hopefully, it will be included with the next z9 upgrade too!

The video record button. Prior to that, I was using the video record button to change AF areas with a press and turn, now I just toggle it. The a1 has done this since day 1 and I use c1 on the top to toggle and it's been very effective.

In fact, I'll likely use this far more than an AF override button going forward since it's really quick to cycle and I don't have to keep pressing. It's really more of a game changer than it first appears, it changes the entire field workflow.
I’m so happy you mentioned this new feature, Steve. I can’t believe how fast this allows one to switch AF modes! I always hated having to press and hold. Now I have more options for my function buttons. Now if we could just get raw pre-capture lol.

As one of the older, well off and more loved elder son Z9 owners I look forward to the next Z9 update so I can again feel superior.

I know they won't wait too long for me, they love me too much.

:cool::cool::cool::cool:
I find solace in knowing I am not alone in feeling like Nikon is neglecting us Z9 owners. I can't stand the thought of those uppity Z8 owners/users looking down upon us!!! ;)

Umm... There's a NEW option called Cycle AF Area Mode that allows you to toggle between AF areas by pressing a button - and you can select which ones to put on the list! This might be second only to Bird AF for usefulness and the Z9 does not have it!

This was one of the things I've been requesting forever and they did a great job (I'm not sure if they got the idea form me or just grabbed it from Sony, but I'm glad it's there either way!)
Will you add info about this to the existing guide books you’ve published ?

Back