Nikon Z8 Firmware 2.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a question regarding the new "Cycle AF-Area Mode" feature.
Prior to this FW Update, I've used the Video Record button (on both Z8 & Z9) to change AF-Area Mode by press-hold the record button and spinning the rear cmd dial - as many others do. Using that method, if I select C1 or C2 Area Mode, I was able to quickly adjust the size of the chosen "box" (C1 or C2) by continuing to hold the record button and pressing up - down / left - right on the multi-selector "ring".
I have not been able to get that re-sizing of the C1 & C2 focus boxes to work when using the new Cycle AF-Area Mode feature.
Am I missing something?
Has anyone else noticed (resolved) this behavior?
Now that you mention it, yes, mine behaves that way. I have to press the Focus mode button on the left side of the camera to change C1 and C2....

I can highly recommend it (I attended 26Jan one) - more general shooting than wildlife specific, but also covers a bit of wildlife, bif etc. Next one is 5 March at 14:00 Uk time. Not sure how quick they will update it for firmware 2.0, but hopefully enough time. As is now released, he will definitely answer q&a on it.

Edit - Steve / Admins - please remove if not appropriate for bfg.
Steve, maybe you should consider doing zoom training. I am sure a lot of us here will be eager to join.
I attended Ricci Chera’s Z9 autofocus class class a year ago. It was quite informative, particularly the Q&A. I’m sure the upcoming class will include content from the 2.0 Z8 update.

In addition to instruction from Steve (written, video, and here on BCG forums), I’ve found Ricci’s class to be well worth the investment of time to attend. I’d love it if Steve offered something similar but I’m extremely grateful for the things he’s doing!

Now that you mention it, yes, mine behaves that way. I have to press the Focus mode button on the left side of the camera to change C1 and C2....

Dang, I was hoping it was just me. :-/
While your method is an option, it's not nearly as convenient.
When shooting canine sporting event, it's been common for me to resize one of the custom boxes between dogs when the size varies a fair mount. In certain games that have high-contrast painted obstacles, it really helps to keep the focus box as small as possible but proportional to the size of the subject.
I'm not sure that strategic change to resizing C1/C2 doesn't outweigh the potential benefit of this new feature. I have a two-day event this weekend, so I guess I'll see....
Other than this, I really like the the new "Cycle" option.

The manual focus implementation on the Zf is amazing, including subject detection. For example, if you’re photographing a person, it put a box on the eye, you have the ability to switch eyes, and the box turn from red to green when you achieve focus. If you zoom in, in zooms immediately to the eye to check focus. I think adding this to the other cameras would be a nice feature and may solve the concern you have.
Are you saying the Zf has the ability to focus ai-s lenses manually?

Prior to this FW Update, I've used the Video Record button (on both Z8 & Z9) to change AF-Area Mode by press-hold the record button and spinning the rear cmd dial - as many others do. Using that method, if I select C1 or C2 Area Mode, I was able to quickly adjust the size of the chosen "box" (C1 or C2) by continuing to hold the record button and pressing up - down / left - right on the multi-selector "ring".
I have not been able to get that re-sizing of the C1 & C2 focus boxes to work when using the new Cycle AF-Area Mode feature.
Am I missing something?
That is the reason I am leaving my video record to Af-area button.

You can also change c1/c2 from i-menu when C1/C2 highligted and then press and hold ok button for about 2 seconds, then resize with multi-selector. Credit to Ricci Chera for this tip from recent Z8 AF course. Af-mode button & cmd dial and i-menu has viewfinder preview, whilst setup from menu is black screen.

I assigned AF cycle to Fn1 and will limit to 2 or 3 modes when setting - added f2 shooting controls to my menu for quick changes. Would be great if create shortcut to edit this quicker other than through Custom setting banks - I might change my custom setting banks for more than 1

Last edited:
Just updated mine. I did experience the "missing" eye viewfinder, but turning the camera off and then on again restored it. Have to take it out for test drive.

After two shoots over two days I'm extremely pleased with this release. Particularly the implementation of the Bird subject detection. I've noticed that not only is the focus system more prone to find the eye of birds but it holds focus consistently (when the eye is present) against other distractions in the scene. I've attached a couple of images demonstrating how the reeds have not pulled the focus off the bird's eye...
DSC_0191.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• DSC_0192.jpg
    DSC_0192.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
Dang, I was hoping it was just me. :-/
While your method is an option, it's not nearly as convenient.
When shooting canine sporting event, it's been common for me to resize one of the custom boxes between dogs when the size varies a fair mount. In certain games that have high-contrast painted obstacles, it really helps to keep the focus box as small as possible but proportional to the size of the subject.
I'm not sure that strategic change to resizing C1/C2 doesn't outweigh the potential benefit of this new feature. I have a two-day event this weekend, so I guess I'll see....
Other than this, I really like the the new "Cycle" option.
Yeah, I hear ya - it's definitely not optimal...

You can also change c1/c2 from i-menu...

10/4.... That is an option, but certainly not viable for "on-the-fly" changes during a shoot.

I'll go back to the old way. Perhaps it will get an update, next round.

I was hoping it was "just me" doing something silly.

Am I missing something?
It doesn't work with the cycle option, which makes sense since when you press it switches to new AF mode - it would be tricky form an ergonomic standpoint to have it work with the cycle option. You can always keep the normal focus mode button programmed for AF area mode and press and hold it to change the size.

It doesn't work with the cycle option, which makes sense since when you press it switches to new AF mode - it would be tricky form an ergonomic standpoint to have it work with the cycle option. You can always keep the normal focus mode button programmed for AF area mode and press and hold it to change the size.

Thanks Steve. For my purposes, I do need to be able to change the size quickly so I'll just stick with the old method.

Thanks Steve. For my purposes, I do need to be able to change the size quickly so I'll just stick with the old method.
I'm guessing you can somehow choose which dial you use, front or back. I discovered I had mine set to front for some reason, perhaps that was the default? It made it awkward for me to use it that way and so I'd forgotten I'd had it set that way.

"Cycle AF Area" toggle is welcome. Does a similar "Cycle AF Subject Dectection" toggle button assignment exist?
I replaced AF area mode on my Z8 video record button…and will do so on the Z9 when it arrives there. With selecting only the af areas I use, the cycle is a lot faster.

Umm... There's a NEW option called Cycle AF Area Mode that allows you to toggle between AF areas by pressing a button - and you can select which ones to put on the list! This might be second only to Bird AF for usefulness and the Z9 does not have it!

This was one of the things I've been requesting forever and they did a great job (I'm not sure if they got the idea form me or just grabbed it from Sony, but I'm glad it's there either way!)
Steve you are a prophet in your own life time. This is just outstanding. Tried it today and it is just fantastic, thank you pal. (y)

Back