Nikon Z8 Firmware 2.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve, thanks for posting the highlights as well as the details. Adding the bird AF is welcomed as is the af mode cycling feature. Now the big challenge will be figuring out how to optimize the function and reassign all of the buttons. Currently I have the shutter assigned to one AF area, the BBAF to another, and a fn button assigned to spot. Do you see any wisdom of keeping multiple buttons assigned to individual af modes or does it make more sense to just assign the cycling to a fn button which could work while shooting? No it doesn’t offer an override, but if the af has improved that significantly, and one can switch modes near instantaneously, is the need to handoff as pressing?
I'm not Steve either and got only the poor neglected z9 so can't play with this feature yet ;), But I think for fast action its still faster to keep multiple buttons assigned to individual af modes. in my case I would use the shutter in Auto area, bbaf-on in 3D fn1 in wide-L, fn-2 in single point (without subject detection) and cycle/toggle using the rec video button between Auto, w-c1 , w-c2.

Thanks, I only knew of the power off issue, as I have not used it much to turn off subject detection yet.
This is not discussed in Thom Hogan Z8 book.
Steve lists it under use case 2 and add exposure comp changes and fx/dx area switches to your list.
@Steve - Maybe consider moving it to main discussion of RSF in Z8 book as is major drawback for some uses.

My issue was more with athletics where it got stuck to the wrong runner and would want to AF on lead runner. Found dynamic small worked better, so swicthed af modes
I knew I forgot some instances, and the exposure comp is supper important so thanks for highlight it.
As for the athletic situation , its not my field- I only shoot wildlife- so maybe I'm totally wrong, but did you try auto area with subject detection ? you than can toggle between the detected runners faces using the sub selector joystick

Will pixel shift work handheld or only on a tripod?
Will pixel shift work with astrophotography/starlight view mode?
Will pixel shift work with exposure bracketing?
Will pixel shift help with low light/high iso situations?
How well does pixel shift work with moving subjects?
And just in case you want to max your buffer, will pixel shift work with focus shift?

These are more curiosities, I always thought pixel shift was a clever idea on MFT (OM Systems) and wondered if it would make it's way to full frame and just trying to think of artistic ways to use this feature.
I tried it quickly yesterday thinking it might be great for macro photographs and found several limitations. the main one being that the subject has to be absolutely static. There can be no movement in the subject at all, which means a tripod is absolutely required. Also, the Nikon Studio software is required to combine the photos. Unlike other auto-aligning software (photoshop, Helicon), there isn’t an aligning process performed when the images are combined. I could be wrong about that one but I assume that is why it is necessary for the subject to be completely static. After many shots, I could never get a photo that was as sharp as a single shot at f16. Another limitation is the file format created by Nikon Studio. It’s a NEFX file. Although it can presently be read by Lightroom and Photoshop, it doesn’t appear as a 180mp shot. Going to try to combine in PS today to see if it display correctly.

Another limitation is the file format created by Nikon Studio. It’s a NEFX file. Although it can presently be read by Lightroom and Photoshop, it doesn’t appear as a 180mp shot. Going to try to combine in PS today to see if it display correctly.
You must use NX Studio to combine the sequential pixel shift files into one image. Lightroom and Photoshop will not do that.

Last edited:
* I did scan this long thread for hand-off comments, so if I missed anything in these 8 pages, I apologize in advance :)

So my question / comment is, I'm hearing a few early reports / reviews of noticeably improved performance and higher keeper rates using Auto Area AF mode as the base AF mode with no need for hand-off to 3D - vs the C1 / C2 / Wide Area modes, and then handing off to 3D. A few demonstrations of this where acquisition & lock-on appears to be clearly stickier & faster to acquire the subject in Auto Area (surprisingly). This includes birds in flight.

I guess it's not really a question since this update was just released yesterday and I'm guessing most haven't fully tested yet. But maybe the same situation on the Z9? Just something that caught my attention and potentially will change my setup config, negating or at least lessening the need for 3D hand-off.

If anyone's curious, one of the vids I'm citing is on Jan Wegener's YouTube channel.

* Two other observations that I noticed but didn't hear anyone mention in recent vids. Nikon added the Switch Eyes feature to the Z8, carried over from the Zf. It's a super useful button assignment for Fn1 Fn2, easier than using the stick or d-pad. Also works while in 3D (which the stick and d-pad do not switch eyes while in 3D with Subject Detection... but double-check my math on that one and I'll test again to be sure).

Also noticed the top-left Bracketing and White Balance buttons are now customizable, and the dedicate AF Mode left side button can of course be customized for AF Toggle. Amazing update!

With all the new bells and whistles to further confuse us…🤪… why can’t they put that little light green focus ball and arrow (<o>) thingy in the lower left of the viewfinder? Duh….Nikon makes an $8K manual focus Z lens (58mm NOCT) and this would be a helpful aid for older “F” lenses as well. The DSLRs have it.

I knew I forgot some instances, and the exposure comp is supper important so thanks for highlight it.
As for the athletic situation , its not my field- I only shoot wildlife- so maybe I'm totally wrong, but did you try auto area with subject detection ? you than can toggle between the detected runners faces using the sub selector joystick
Issue with shooting 60-100m running / hurdles you only have about 3-4 seconds where athletes are in good range for 70-200. I normally sit next to the finish line, so with 70-200, auto area also subject detects spectators next to the track - metal barriers 2m from track on each side to keep off running area.

Auto AF area might work with longer lens that can limit to track or bigger events where spectators are not allowed to get so close. Easy when you know beforehand on which one to AF, as 3d or wide area small will work. I have several photo’s with athelete in 3rd position in perfect eye focus and winner and runner up soft and I stepped down to F8…

You must use NX Studio to combine the .NEFX files into one image. Lightroom and Photoshop will not work.
Nikon’s Technical Guide to Pixel Shift Shooting on the Z8 notes that the current versions of Adobe Camera Raw (and presumably the Lightroom Develop module) and Capture One will work with .nefx files. So once you have combined the pixel shift shooting set in NX Studio, it sounds like you can edit the resulting .nefx file in ACR/Photoshop and Capture One. I have not tried this yet.

Nikon’s Technical Guide to Pixel Shift Shooting on the Z8 notes that the current versions of Adobe Camera Raw (and presumably the Lightroom Develop module) and Capture One will work with .nefx files. So once you have combined the pixel shift shooting set in NX Studio, it sounds like you can edit the resulting .nefx file in ACR/Photoshop and Capture One. I have not tried this yet.
I tried yesterday and found the file information in Lightroom to be incorrect. It also displayed the image in a strange cropped version, at over 100%, which couldnt be changed to normal. I'll give it another shot today. Certainly could be user error.

To clarify, only NX Studio can combine the sequential pixel shift images into the combined image. Once that’s done, any raw image editor can be used with the combined image.

With all the new bells and whistles to further confuse us…🤪… why can’t they put that little light green focus ball and arrow (<o>) thingy in the lower left of the viewfinder? Duh….Nikon makes an $8K manual focus Z lens (58mm NOCT) and this would be a helpful aid for older “F” lenses as well. The DSLRs have it.
The manual focus implementation on the Zf is amazing, including subject detection. For example, if you’re photographing a person, it put a box on the eye, you have the ability to switch eyes, and the box turn from red to green when you achieve focus. If you zoom in, in zooms immediately to the eye to check focus. I think adding this to the other cameras would be a nice feature and may solve the concern you have.

The manual focus implementation on the Zf is amazing, including subject detection. For example, if you’re photographing a person, it put a box on the eye, you have the ability to switch eyes, and it turn from red to green when you achieve focus. If you zoom in, in zooms immediately to the eye to check focus. I think adding this to the other cameras would be a nice feature and may solve the concern you have.
I expect this will be coming in future Z8/Z9 firmware updates.

To clarify, only NX Studio can combine the sequential pixel shift images into the combined image. Once that’s done, any raw image editor can be used with the combined image.
If I understand the Nikon Technical Guide, you can export the combined image from NX Studio as a .nefx file, a jpeg or a tiff. Any image editor should work with the jpeg or tiff. But Nikon notes that, at least of now, only Adobe and Capture One support the .nefx file format. See page 35 of the Technical Guide.

Steve, thanks for posting the highlights as well as the details. Adding the bird AF is welcomed as is the af mode cycling feature. Now the big challenge will be figuring out how to optimize the function and reassign all of the buttons. Currently I have the shutter assigned to one AF area, the BBAF to another, and a fn button assigned to spot. Do you see any wisdom of keeping multiple buttons assigned to individual af modes or does it make more sense to just assign the cycling to a fn button which could work while shooting? No it doesn’t offer an override, but if the af has improved that significantly, and one can switch modes near instantaneously, is the need to handoff as pressing?
Yes, there's still value in it. Although cycling can switch AF modes quickly, technically it can't do a handoff (where the camera transfers the AF point it's currently using to the new AF area). It might seem like it can because for many targets it's really quick to catch back on or it goes for the same thing, but in testing I can tell you with confidence that it's not doing a handoff when you cycle.

Where the overrides are still critical is when you're tracking action and want to jump from something like Wide AF to Auto or 3D. My method with that scenario is to wait until I see subject detection become active and on-target, then I'll press Fn1 (Auto AF now for me) so I can track all over the viewfinder.

Note that most of the time I start with Auto anyway and don't bother with handoffs, but Wide is useful when you need to help get the camera on the correct target. Once you;-re on target, you can handoff to Auto (or 3d) and then have the entire viewfinder. I have a video on this coming out eventually, but I've been too busy to get much done on it.

This is a 32 image pixel shift shot from this morning. I combined the images with Nikon Studio and then exported them to Lightroom. One was exported as a Tiff file and one as the original NEFX file. These are screen shots of each. As you can see, the tif displays the entire image and shows the correct resolution in the info area. The NEFX file appears as if it has been cropped and shows the original NEF file information.

Image 2-8-24 at 10.09 AM (1).jpgImage 2-8-24 at 10.09 AM.jpg

Well, I dunno. It works the same for me whether I set Area Mode using Focus mode button on the left side of the camera or using the Cycle AF feature. The Cycle AF feature does change the camera base AF mode so they should behave the same, and for me they do.
I think that there may be some confusion. If I understand what you're saying, you're correct, but so is Karen :)

You can't handoff from one AF area to another by cycling, but any AF area you pick by using cycling is exactly the same as had you picked that base AF area any other way. So, 3D works like 3D and can handoff to other AF areas no matter how it was first selected - with the push and turn or via cycling.

I think Karen was interpreting what you were saying as you can use cycling to handoff the current AF point to the next AF area in the cycle and it doesn't work that way. (It can sometimes look like it does because the camera is so quick, but it doesn't).

Yes, there's still value in it. Although cycling can switch AF modes quickly, technically it can't do a handoff (where the camera transfers the AF point it's currently using to the new AF area). It might seem like it can because for many targets it's really quick to catch back on or it goes for the same thing, but in testing I can tell you with confidence that it's not doing a handoff when you cycle.

Where the overrides are still critical is when you're tracking action and want to jump from something like Wide AF to Auto or 3D. My method with that scenario is to wait until I see subject detection become active and on-target, then I'll press Fn1 (Auto AF now for me) so I can track all over the viewfinder.

Note that most of the time I start with Auto anyway and don't bother with handoffs, but Wide is useful when you need to help get the camera on the correct target. Once you;-re on target, you can handoff to Auto (or 3d) and then have the entire viewfinder. I have a video on this coming out eventually, but I've been too busy to get much done on it.
Well thank the pope - I need that video !

Well thank the pope - I need that video !
For those on this side of the pond or willing to take on the time difference, Ricci Chera (Ricci talks on Youtube), official trainer for Nikon Uk, presents a live zoom mastering Z8/Z9 AF 3 hour course for 30GBP and ability to ask him questions throughout.
I learned quite a few things and spend on alot of time on bcg forums, video’s and have both Steves great books, as well as Thom Hogan’s Z8 guide.

I can highly recommend it (I attended 26Jan one) - more general shooting than wildlife specific, but also covers a bit of wildlife, bif etc. Next one is 5 March at 14:00 Uk time. Not sure how quick they will update it for firmware 2.0, but hopefully enough time. As is now released, he will definitely answer q&a on it.

Edit - Steve / Admins - please remove if not appropriate for bcg forum.
Steve, maybe you should consider doing zoom training. I am sure a lot of us here will be eager to join.

Last edited:
Just be aware that the camera will revert to the original subject detection mode when :
- if you hit your playback button to review your shots
- if the camera enters standby mode
- if you press the ' i ' button
and maybe in similar other instances
Yeah I am trying this too (putting Animal/Bird on recall hold, which before I had as Subject Detection on/off.) Still not sure if this is better in the field, as you point out it can easily revert by a variety of means, and no doubt I will not notice until it's too late :confused: But I may try it for awhile. On safari I am usually mostly on animal but bird opportunities come up often. When local, or on a birding trip, it is likely I'd just leave it on birds. Sure hope this can be cycled in the future or switched with a single button press.

Also a nice new feature is that more/new buttons can be programmed, like WB and BKT and Playback. I am moving my FX/DX to one of these harder to reach buttons because I had it on Video Record (ISO was AF mode with dial) and was invariably changing it by accident (reaching for AF mode change) and not noticing until it was too late. Messed up some shots that way on my last safari. :confused: (A future wish is that the DX flashing would be in color, at least, or somehow more noticeable.)

Looking forward to Steve's video for best setup, for now I am really not sure what to put on the FN buttons since I put AF cycling on the Video record.

I'm happy Nikon has added the Cycle feature for AF modes combined with AF mode limits (deselecting ones you never use...which it already did).
This was just one of many customization features I'm used to on Sony and had been missing on Nikon when I owned the Z9.

In regards to the discussion about only using Cycle AF or still using some custom buttons for different AF modes....I will say that with my Sony I still use both. I have 4 available AF modes on my "cycle" button (Sony uses the "Toggle" terminology) and this changes my "base" AF mode. But I still have another button assigned to switch into Zone (even though Zone is one of my 4 base modes I could toggle into). This is because 90% of the time I stay in Wide AF (same as Nikon Auto AF...full sensor coverage...camera decides type mode) and it is still faster to just push in my back button to get to Zone (my 2nd most used AF mode) than it is to hit my "cycle" button. This may be because my cycle button is on top of camera and uses my index finger which is also my shutter/AF finger as I use shutter AF for my base mode. If I assigned the cycle function to a back button then maybe it would be just as easy. But I also think that the way I use Wide and Zone is I will just very temporarily use Zone for initial acquisition as the bird is a bit further away and then let off the button and have full sensor Wide (Nikon Auto) take over to keep the bird in focus all over the frame. If I was to use a cycle button it would be 3 taps to get back from Zone to Wide....even with a back button that is inefficient when I'm doing this during a single flight pass.

Other times I know I'm shooting a situation where Zone or Small Spot are going to be best most of the time so I use my cycle to quickly get there and I'm not switching back and forth frequently.

So IMO, the cycle is a great feature (so glad Nikon added this for the next time I buy one) but I for one would still have one or two buttons set to AF Area Mode for quicker switching between two mode.

I think that there may be some confusion. If I understand what you're saying, you're correct, but so is Karen :)

You can't handoff from one AF area to another by cycling, but any AF area you pick by using cycling is exactly the same as had you picked that base AF area any other way. So, 3D works like 3D and can handoff to other AF areas no matter how it was first selected - with the push and turn or via cycling.

I think Karen was interpreting what you were saying as you can use cycling to handoff the current AF point to the next AF area in the cycle and it doesn't work that way. (It can sometimes look like it does because the camera is so quick, but it doesn't).
Yes !
To be clear, I have 3D tracking set to the BBAF button and when using "Cycle AF mode" it will allow a handoff to 3D.
As you mention, it does not handoff between "Cycle AF modes" - (this is understandable as there is no focus persistence when "cycling AF modes"....to handoff both the handoff mode button and the mode button you are handing off to have to both be momentarily pressed).
I'll try to be more careful in my wording....thanks!

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the new "Cycle AF-Area Mode" feature.
Prior to this FW Update, I've used the Video Record button (on both Z8 & Z9) to change AF-Area Mode by press-hold the record button and spinning the rear cmd dial - as many others do. Using that method, if I select C1 or C2 Area Mode, I was able to quickly adjust the size of the chosen "box" (C1 or C2) by continuing to hold the record button and pressing up - down / left - right on the multi-selector "ring".
I have not been able to get that re-sizing of the C1 & C2 focus boxes to work when using the new Cycle AF-Area Mode feature.
Am I missing something?
Has anyone else noticed (resolved) this behavior?

Back