Nikon Z9 - Firmware 5.0

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

@Steve Regarding charging for updated versions of your books, have you considered selling the full books to first time buyers and for current book owners creating and selling separate pamphlets dedicated to only the upgraded firmware? Many book publishers do just that. West Publishing regularly does this for it's professional books and they are then added by the buyer as inserts in the back of the original book.

I did notice that on page 31 of the addendum for fw 5 it says "When (Extended menu bank) is set to (ON) in the photo shooting menu or video recording menu separate shooting modes can be set for photo mode and video mode. But it does not go into anything else.

I do not do much video but my video banks have always had different settings than those in my photo banks that pertain only to video. And that is still the same. The only difference I saw was the ability to use a different shooting mode ie. Program for video while using manual for photo. So if I go down to my banks in video and choose bank A gives me different settings than if I am in photo bank A.

Ken, I think there is a conflict between what is actually in FW 5 and what Nikon YouTubers have shown and even what Nikon shows on the FW 5 promo page. The Z9 and I believe all of the Z cameras have always shown the bank in the Photo Shooting Menu and the Video Shooting Menu, basically 4 banks that contain stills and video shooting settings. So if you used Bank A then you used the stills and video settings from Bank A. If you switched to bank B then you were using the stills and video setting in bank B. FW 5.0 corrected the issue with the shooting mode, which wasn't really a problem for me because I shoot stills and video in manual mode. What has been implied is that FW 5 would provide 4 banks for stills and 4 banks for video, I could shoot stills in bank A and video in bank B if necessary, if I switched to bank D for stills I would still be in bank B for video.

What is stated in the addendum is exactly how FW 5 behaves. What is advertised on the FW 5 promo page and what YouTubers have stated on their videos is not how FW 5 functions. I am wondering if the YouTubers had a version of FW 5 that had features that were not released to the general public.

What is stated in the addendum is exactly how FW 5 behaves. What is advertised on the FW 5 promo page and what YouTubers have stated on their videos is not how FW 5 functions. I am wondering if the YouTubers had a version of FW 5 that had features that were not released to the general public.
The supplemental reference guide has exactly one sentence about this, and it doesn’t really explain well what’s been added.

With a quick look on my Z9 it appears that some options are independent of each other between the photo and video banks, some are tied together, and a couple are optional. Nikon should clarify this much beyond what they’ve done.

Last edited:
Difficult to tell what is going on as different users seem to get different results. Paul Van Allen and this week's Webinar on the Z8/Z9 settings touched on that sound change in v5.00. Mentioned in jest, that the cat's meow not yet done. Jest !?? Appears that some complained that the sound was the same for all speeds, so this major change addresses that problem.
The screenshot from my setup guide shows the same 5 sound type options that were there before the 5.0 update, so I think maybe he misspoke. Unless he was using a pre-production FW or something.

@Steve Regarding charging for updated versions of your books, have you considered selling the full books to first time buyers and for current book owners creating and selling separate pamphlets dedicated to only the upgraded firmware? Many book publishers do just that. West Publishing regularly does this for it's professional books and they are then added by the buyer as inserts in the back of the original book.
I appreciate the suggestion and I have considered it in the past :).

However, Nikon really likes to change things so even though I have certain new things I add for the update, I also have to cover any collateral damage (menu number changes, layout, that sort of thing). In addition, each time they add stuff, my own setup changes. In the end, if someone were trying to use the first version of the book with supplements, I fear they'd be completely lost.

I'm just hoping Nikon slows down with the updates - I have a several other projects I want to get out and dropping everything each time Nikon decides to do an update is killing me. (And honestly, I think it's a pain for many users to have to relearn their camera configuration even few months.) Worse, I leave for an African workshop in less than two weeks and I need to get this done. As much for the current readers as keeping the book selling. I see a drop in sales each time a firmware update comes out until I get the book up to date.

Ken, I think there is a conflict between what is actually in FW 5 and what Nikon YouTubers have shown and even what Nikon shows on the FW 5 promo page. The Z9 and I believe all of the Z cameras have always shown the bank in the Photo Shooting Menu and the Video Shooting Menu, basically 4 banks that contain stills and video shooting settings. So if you used Bank A then you used the stills and video settings from Bank A. If you switched to bank B then you were using the stills and video setting in bank B. FW 5.0 corrected the issue with the shooting mode, which wasn't really a problem for me because I shoot stills and video in manual mode. What has been implied is that FW 5 would provide 4 banks for stills and 4 banks for video, I could shoot stills in bank A and video in bank B if necessary, if I switched to bank D for stills I would still be in bank B for video.

If I get what you are saying there has always been essentially 4 banks with two "sub sets" one for photo and one for video with different settings in each subset which are activated when you change the camera to photo or video.

The only difference now being that if you have extended menu banks set to on it will save the last shooting mode setting you had in the bank sub set when you switch from video to photo or photo to video just as it has always done.

That might explain why, if you had extended menu banks set to on when you did the Fw 5.0 update it put everything to P until you made the switch in photo with each bank when the camera was in photo mode and in video with each bank when the camera was in video mode. It is possible that if you did not have the extended menu banks set to on when you did the Fw 5.0 update then the shooting mode did not change to P if you had it set in M, S, A etc..

So in essence it is still 4 banks with 2 "sub sets" one for camera in photo mode and one for camera in video mode with the addition of shooting mode being able to be different in each subset ?

I can also see why P might be a good shooting mode for an occasional video shooter like me.

I just experimented with setting my video sub sets to P and it worked well for an occasional video shooter like me, maybe once a year occasional. I could have my manual with auto iso set to shoot a bird bank A or a Person bank B or auto bank C at say 1/1200 of a sec. at f6 and with a flip of the switch from photo to video it goes to program and adjusts shutter and f stop for the video.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the Supplementary Firmware Update Manual ? The reference guide that I could see to download only had pages for FW 4.0 and 4.1?
Ken you are right; apparently I never grabbed that one. So the Reference Manual is only still at 4.1. The Supplementary has the 5.0. The AC manual seems to have the new updates though. Looking at the terms Nearest and Farthest for example.

The supplemental reference guide has exactly one sentence about this, and it doesn’t really explain well what’s been added.

With a quick look on my Z9 it appears that some options are independent of each other between the photo and video banks, some are tied together, and a couple are optional. Nikon should clarify this much beyond what they’ve done.

The settings in the photo and video shooting settings are independent, I can set different ISO settings, white balance, picture control, now shooting mode, and others. It's just that the banks switch as one, choose bank A and it sets bank A in photo and video, choose bank B and it sets bank B in both photo and video. It is not possible to be in bank A for photo and bank B for video.

The settings in the photo and video shooting settings are independent, I can set different ISO settings, white balance, picture control, now shooting mode, and others. It's just that the banks switch as one, choose bank A and it sets bank A in photo and video, choose bank B and it sets bank B in both photo and video. It is not possible to be in bank A for photo and bank B for video.
Why is this a problem? If in bank A for shooting, have bank A for video set the way you want when you switch to video.

There is the following note about a GNSS Module Firmware Update…

“Note: The second update is not necessary if the GNSS module’s firmware “G” is already 0.17, as with which version, the improvement has already been made.”

1) How do you check the version of GNSS module firmware?
2) The note refers to a second update. Does that mean the update has to be done twice?
Yep.

There is the following note about a GNSS Module Firmware Update…

“Note: The second update is not necessary if the GNSS module’s firmware “G” is already 0.17, as with which version, the improvement has already been made.”

1) How do you check the version of GNSS module firmware?
2) The note refers to a second update. Does that mean the update has to be done twice?
check out @Steve new video https://bcgforums.com/threads/update-nikon-firmware-for-z-series-cameras-and-lenses.33605/

I just experimented with setting my video sub sets to P and it worked well for an occasional video shooter like me, maybe once a year occasional. I could have my manual with auto iso set to shoot a bird bank A or a Person bank B or auto bank C at say 1/1200 of a sec. at f6 and with a flip of the switch from photo to video it goes to program and adjusts shutter and f stop for the video.
If you leave the default settings in the video banks it doesn't really matter because all 4 video banks will be the same. But if you settle on a preferred video shooting bank and configure it in bank A but you use multiple photo banks, when you flip that switch to video then you have to make sure you are in bank A.

A lot depends on how you shoot and how you use the banks.

Why is this a problem? If in bank A for shooting, have bank A for video set the way you want when you switch to video.
It's only a problem if you like to use multiple photo banks. If you pretty much only use bank A then it's not a problem. The problem occurs when you might be in a situation when you like to use multiple shooting banks. If I am using banks A, B, and C for photos, and bank A for video, when I switch from bank A to bank B for photos and I switch to video I have to switch back to bank A for video. Having 4 photo and 4 video would simplify the bank use when shooting photo and videos.

If you leave the default settings in the video banks it doesn't really matter because all 4 video banks will be the same. But if you settle on a preferred video shooting bank and configure it in bank A but you use multiple photo banks, when you flip that switch to video then you have to make sure you are in bank A.

A lot depends on how you shoot and how you use the banks.
As I noted I almost never do video. My primary banks are A = bird ID photography what I photograph 90% of the time B= people what I do for the 9.5% indoors in crazy lighting with subjects not posing and no supplemental lighting allowed. And also outdors. Bank C is just essentially one I never use but was a turn off subject tracking more or less auto bank when I first started. Have not used it for well over a year.

So both A and B can have video used and those are the ones I was testing today. Having program mode kick in when I switch to video in both banks worked for what I do now with video with essentially the default video settings in place in both banks. If I ever really got serious about video then I would explore other options. The only real difference between A and B for video is subject detection bird A and people in B.

What we need is a software interface (GUI) to change all the settings and save them. A bit like the Camera Control Pro (CCP) in DSLR but more complete, not as a shooting interface but as a programming interface... NOW that would be a huge upgrade and a Z selling point.

I've not used or tried the CCP on the Z model. Can you manipulate, change and save ALL the settings?

I had the 100-400 mounted and it didn’t change from M either.
I did notice that on page 31 of the addendum for fw 5 it says "When (Extended menu bank) is set to (ON) in the photo shooting menu or video recording menu separate shooting modes can be set for photo mode and video mode. and then the note about The shooting modes banks A through D are set to P right after the firmware is upgraded.

So I wonder if you had your extended menu banks set to on or off?

I did notice that on page 31 of the addendum for fw 5 it says "When (Extended menu bank) is set to (ON) in the photo shooting menu or video recording menu separate shooting modes can be set for photo mode and video mode. and then the note about The shooting modes banks A through D are set to P right after the firmware is upgraded.

So I wonder if you had your extended menu banks set to on or off?
On.

Back