Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

thank you!
comment by chris around 9:30 confirms 14 bit 45MP compresion of RAW in the new High efficiency mode.. a 1000 shot buffer as demoed by Matt granger and if the image quality is excellent, will check all my boxes :))
and the continuous sticky autofocus around 40:30 mins on an ftz adapted f mount glass - 🤯

The essential go to resource for Nikonians, and many of us support Roland...

There have been shouts outs on forums with long threads hoping for a Z90. Thom Hogan has mentioned a few times he sources confirm Nikon. A DX high performance Zed MILC is a no brainer for all the same reasons justifying the D300 and D500. Even more so because the mirrorless market is still expanding as it iterates.
A Z90 should attract many DSLR owners plus a few grasshoppers from other brands...

The critical question is if Nikon have invested in shrinking Z9 technology into a smaller sensor, which can be expected to cost less thanks to relative size plus higher yields from foundry wafers etc

{... Also, I bet the D500 has sold way more units than the D5. I saw a lot of people own both a D850 and a D500....even some that owned both a D5 and D500. ...}

So basicaly, you will get between 40 and 60 shots RAW, even with the fast cards.

1000+ shots only in High Efficiency RAW
The Nikon Z9 brochure refers to shooting RAW + JPEG or JPEG + JPEG . I would expect you would do better — i.e., get more shots — shooting RAW only. At least that has been the case with Nikon’s DSLRs. (And I understsnd there is a JPEG file embedded in the RAW file.) I stopped shooting RAW + JPEG a while back, partly because I always worked with the RAW file and partly because the optimum exposure is likely different for a RAW file than a JPEG.

Wondering how the Z9 burst length compares to the A1‘s.

Just looked at Sony’s onlone help guide for the A1. It seems to say 83 shots RAW + JPEG (64 if RAW + HEIF) and 96 shots RAW only, if shooting 20 fps. Usual caveats about memory cards and shooting conditions. Note, it’s the second chart on the linked page, at least on my iPad.

I know it is dangerous to look at a manual for a camera I do not own. I might be misinterpreting it.

I’m glad we have both the A1 and Z9 and the Canon offerings. Competition will keep the camera companies on their toes and benefit us all. Having shot Nikon for many years, I’ll try the Z9 first (have preordered one). But I think the A1 is spectacular and I could see using one if the Z9 does not pan out for me.

I shoot Sony (a1) and am nearly always in lossy raw. I suspect Nikon's high efficiency format to be similar and I also expect it to suit the needs of nearly every use case where high frame rates are desired. I don't expect the buffer to be a concern on this camera as long as a sufficiently fast card is used.

I was thinking a lot whether to post this link or not... but here it is... Especialy because he did not have a camera in hands.

If you can get past by the mean tone and the rant (I know that many can't),
it might be that he is correct about some things and why the buffer performance (in large/lossless RAW)is not as expected...

Hopefully High Efficiency RAW would be almost the same quality... In that case this would be a non issue...

Forget the no camera to actually test message. Why would anyone give this person the time of day?

High frame rates like 120 fps in JPEG normal at around 10 or 11 mb file size ? is perfect and purposeful.
Nikon has listened to the needs of Sports action paparazzi photographers.

Sports action paparazzi photographers usually need to stream quickly images unprocessed in standard shooting format, these
images are received by a computer that has each camera brand profile loaded in order to be able to use a standard set of presets to adjust images to a constant standard in dynamic range, sharpness and size. The Z9 meets this need perfectly.

98% of images are viewed by the public on a Phone, IPad or laptop,
so go figure.

For wild life sports action photography, i mean really if you cant get what you want from 20 fps raw give it up, so again their is sense in what Nikon has done here.
30 FPS raw is starting to be seriously overkill, if you need this or more just video.

The Z9 having one processor ? could it be because of far less heat being generated therefore allowing for far longer video recording capabilities, i mean video is the future largely phasing out still photography that will all eventually come from video anyway, Panasonic is charging full on in this area already with 30mp perfectly focused images from 8 K ? video.

On the other hand Could it be the Z9 has one main possible issue and that is it only has one processor making things challenging in focusing, viewfinder refresh, correct me if i am wrong, and is this really an issue at all.

I think the Z9 is a great attempt to get in the ring with Sony and Canon who no doubt are about to release their new flagships.

I mean personally i find 10 to 15 FPS is plenty 20 is bordering on the max, any more is marketing ??

I think the Z9 has been well thought out with purpose, i look forward to the Z9 II refinements.

Only an opinion

Oz down under

Last edited:
High frame rates like 30 fps in JPEG BASIC at around 10 or 11 mb file size ? is perfect and purposeful.
Nikon has listened to the needs of Sports action paparazzi photographers.

Sports action paparazzi photographers usually need to stream quickly images unprocessed in standard shooting format, these
images are received by a computer that has each camera brand profile loaded in order to be able to use a standard set of presets to adjust images to a constant standard in dynamic range, sharpness and size. The Z9 meets this need perfectly.

98% of images are viewed by the public on a Phone, IPad or laptop,
so go figure.

For wild life sports action photography, i mean really if you cant get what you want from 20 fps raw give it up, so again their is sense in what Nikon has done here.
30 FPS raw is starting to be seriously overkill, if you need this or more just video.

The Z9 having one processor ? could it be because of far less heat being generated therefore allowing for far longer video recording capabilities, i mean video is the future largely phasing out still photography that will all eventually come from video anyway, Panasonic is charging full on in this area already with 30mp perfectly focused images from 8 K ? video.

On the other hand Could it be the Z9 has one main possible issue and that is it only has one processor making things challenging in focusing, viewfinder refresh, correct me if i am wrong, and is this really an issue at all.

I think the Z9 is a great attempt to get in the ring with Sony and Canon who no doubt are about to release their new flagships.

I mean personally i find 10 to 15 FPS is plenty 20 is bordering on the max, any more is marketing ??

I think the Z9 has been well thought out with purpose, i look forward to the Z9 II refinements.

Only an opinion

Oz down under
If I understand the Z9 brochure, the JPEGs at 30 fps are around 45 mp and are JPEG normal, not basic. The JPEGs at 120 fps are smaller (11 mp), not sure if those are basic or normal.

From the brochure:

"High-Speed Frame Capture+* at up to 120 fps –
revealing moments that last for less than 1/100 second
When you want to capture the exact moment such as a
high diver’s fingertips hitting the water or a tennis ball
momentarily deformed by the impact of the racket, the Z 9
offers new High-Speed Frame Capture+ with AF/AE
tracking. Rotating the release mode dial to the quick
release-mode selection and selecting C120, you can take
approx. 11-megapixel still images at 120 fps. This helps
press coverage by revealing amazing, previously invisible
moments that would otherwise be lost between the
frames. With C30, you can shoot approx. 45-megapixel
images at 30 fps.

* JPEG normal image quality only. The number of frames that can be shot is less
than that of high-speed continuous shooting. Use of a recommended card is
advised."

Last edited:
I preordered one at my local shop yesterday and they called to make sure I coming on Monday when the Nikon rep is coming to let people handle one. Ergonomically, I’ll at least be able to see if I’m happy with my choice over the A1.
Jealous ... my "local" dealer is 5 hours away. We had one in town in 2012 when I got started but over the years they went from a full line Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Olympus dealer to limited access to out of business.

If I understand the Z9 brochure, the JPEGs at 30 fps are around 45 mp and are JPEG normal, not basic. The JPEGs are 120 fps are smaller (11 mp), not sure if those are basic or normal.

From the brochure:

"High-Speed Frame Capture+* at up to 120 fps –
revealing moments that last for less than 1/100 second
When you want to capture the exact moment such as a
high diver’s fingertips hitting the water or a tennis ball
momentarily deformed by the impact of the racket, the Z 9
offers new High-Speed Frame Capture+ with AF/AE
tracking. Rotating the release mode dial to the quick
release-mode selection and selecting C120, you can take
approx. 11-megapixel still images at 120 fps. This helps
press coverage by revealing amazing, previously invisible
moments that would otherwise be lost between the
frames. With C30, you can shoot approx. 45-megapixel
images at 30 fps.

* JPEG normal image quality only. The number of frames that can be shot is less
than that of high-speed continuous shooting. Use of a recommended card is
advised."
Thanks for that Oz down under, a little late and tied

Do you have an A1 now?

I don’t. Got the chance to play with one for a bit in the spring and almost bought it, but thought I would hold out to see what Nikon was going to release. I don’t want to switch systems, but if the Z9 wasn’t at least somewhat on par, I would.

Reactions: Hut
Back