Sony a9iii and 300 GM Announced - Official Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If anyone does that it would be Nikon;) But I just sold my Z 400 4.5 and Z 180-600 and purchased the Z 600 f6.3 I'm impressed that's for sure, But what lens you think I should complement it with I was thinking of the Z 100-400?
It might be best to start a new thread on this topic rather than hijack one of the few non-Nikon threads here to ask Nikon gear questions.

I’m curious with the new a9III they adopted more of the a1 layout and made the body bigger which are all great things but I noticed on what is normally the exposure comp wheel they left it blank with no writing on the wheel. Why would they do this?

Here is a pic showing the size changes.
IMG_0268.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_0267.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Any thoughts on the releases?

Personally, I'm impressed with the a9iii. I know it's only 24 MP, but global shutter, 120 FPS in RAW, pre-capture, and probably the best AF on the planet once it's out seems pretty impressive.

I'm also thinking about that 300 2.8. I normally don't go for 300 2.8 lenses, but the size and weight have me reconsidering. It only weighs a few ounces more than the 600PF!
The camera would intrigue me if I was invested in Sony. I'd have to wait a bit for refurbs to afford. Can Nikon be that far behind? No interest in 300mm, too short for wildlife/action. Maybe landscape, but a 1.4x or 2x TC does the same job on my 70-180 2.8.

I’m curious with the new a9III they adopted more of the a1 layout and made the body bigger which are all great things but I noticed on what is normally the exposure comp wheel they left it blank with no writing on the wheel. Why would they do this?

View attachment 74085
View attachment 74084

EC dial same style as on the A7IV I believe, to make it customizable

View attachment 74085
View attachment 74084
You can program it for EC or a variety of other things now.

What makes you think that? Will my Canon or Nikon gear suddenly stop working? Apart from maybe a golf swing in ES, I can't think of many "shots" I would have otherwise missed. What I can say, is with 24 MP, there would be many shots I couldn't use because they wouldn't stand up to cropping. Interestingly, I don't look at this development as a zero sum game. Rather, the A9iii's development is a good thing for all photographers as innovation will drive other manufacturers to compete. In a year or two, many cameras will be sporting global shutters and quite candidly I would prefer one with CFexpress 4.0 or the latest iteration fast card.
That was more like an ironic kind of post. If your name was Jared Polin you'd know what I mean ;)

Article in french, which also highlights the silence about any technical details of the sensor

Article in french, which also highlights the silence about any technical details of the sensor

Details will come. Sony has a lot of tech that they aren’t in a hurry to share. Details will come from independent testers which is typically what happens with sensors and lenses etc.

I use the EC a lot with auto iso. I wonder if anyone is printing a sticker to put in it.
I would assume it spins all the way around like shutter/aperture dials so a sticker wouldn’t work. Without a top lcd, you would have to pay attention to the EV setting in the EVF or rear screen if you leave it on. It’s really just a minor change to the way you shoot and easy to adapt to.

I would assume it spins all the way around like shutter/aperture dials so a sticker wouldn’t work. Without a top lcd, you would have to pay attention to the EV setting in the EVF or rear screen if you leave it on. It’s really just a minor change to the way you shoot and easy to adapt to.
It's probably like the A74 - on mine it spins all the way but it also allows you to go to +/- 5 EV. A fair trade IMO :)

The camera would intrigue me if I was invested in Sony. I'd have to wait a bit for refurbs to afford. Can Nikon be that far behind? No interest in 300mm, too short for wildlife/action. Maybe landscape, but a 1.4x or 2x TC does the same job on my 70-180 2.8.
I guess it depends on the type of wildlife you do, it's a great lens for mammals, larger BIF, hides/ closer distances. Ideal lens also for safari and low light. I've pre ordered to pair with the 600mm F4, along with the 1.4 and x 2 that provides coverage for most scenarios.

I'll be honest... It makes perfect sense to me.

The front is about the same area (double FL, but also half the f stop evens out for front element size), so why wouldn't the rest be?

It's impressive, but I feel like all the new optics can be smaller/lighter, especially primes.

Having owned a couple of 300 f28 lenses in the past what amazes me isn't the size (it actually looks about the same as other vendors' 300/f2.8s in size), but the fact that it weighs a little over 3lbs (well, 3.6 lbs with the 2x TC pictured, but who's counting) :) ). My last 300/f28 was nearly 6 lbs.

The 600PF is totally amazing as well, clocking in at 3lbs flat, but I think we're beginning to take the remarkable characteristics of the PF lenses for granted :)

Pretty cool all 'round.

A great time to be a wildlife photographer with deep pockets ;)

Alex Phan's sample photos on Facebook are quite impressive. My wallet is feeling the danger.
Totally agree! Hi Doug, I don't want to hijack the thread, just have a quick question & trying to get some help: do you know what happened to the sandhill cranes? I drove all the way from San Jose to the Cosumnes Preserve last week but only saw 3. It was kind of baffling. Or perhaps it's too early in the migrating season? I did see a flock of 10 turkey vultures, and tons of geese. Thanks. Oliver

They're there, but they can be hard to find, depending on the time of day. The main areas is check are the preserve boardwalk area, Desmond Road, Staten Island, and Woodbridge. Time of day matters as well. They feed one place (often Staten Island), go hang out somewhere else, feed somewhere else, then find a pond to roost in for the night. Sometimes the preserve, sometimes not. My highest percentage hit on that is Woodbridge. Good luck!

They're there, but they can be hard to find, depending on the time of day. The main areas is check are the preserve boardwalk area, Desmond Road, Staten Island, and Woodbridge. Time of day matters as well. They feed one place (often Staten Island), go hang out somewhere else, feed somewhere else, then find a pond to roost in for the night. Sometimes the preserve, sometimes not. My highest percentage hit on that is Woodbridge. Good luck!
Thank you, bro, really appreciate it. I will try Woodbridge next week; I thought I missed the action.

Oliver

Just saw the discussion on Nikon Rumor re a a Z9h. Very few details, but looks like similar features to the A9iii. Grey's also mentioned it in on their YT channel.

Back