Z9 Firmware 3.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

i've only played around with it a bit, but one thing i've noticed is when subject detection is turned on, it seems to want to "find" a subject more and thus not want to "fallback" and stick to non subjects.

i suspect this is the root of a lot of people's angst, they're used to when the camera doesn't find a subject, it sticks to the thing anyway. i notice if you flip off subject detection it works very much like it did before.

i suspect this is a net win and probably how they are making it "stickier" because it's less likely to go to fallback behavior so if the camera looses something momentarily, it's not as likely to just jump to anything, it's going to wait for a subject, but i can see how it can be disconcerting because we really want it to stick to the subject we have in our mind.

i'm guessing the key to success here might be to assign a button with a non subject detection af mode assigned in case you are struggling with a specific subject. in my case, i usually have single point assigned to l-fn, but i'm thinking of maybe switching that to 3d w/o subject detection.

@fcotterill - hmmm with the Thom method is there actually a way to handoff from your Fn buttons to 3D tracking? I programmed on to WA Small and then programmed to L- Fn2 to 3D and there is no handoff. Maybe this is why the other method is preferred. Please let me know if you have a handoff and if so what settings?
Yes as far as I understand the hand off concept.
You have powerful flexibility with a choice of any assigned Fn AF mode, or if 3D struggles on the AFon button, go back to Singlepoint or any other that's setup within finger reach.

Note, I find it best to restrict AFon button to only activate focus with the AF mode of primary choice (selected with Red Record+Command Dial).
In other words, 3D+AFOn on AFOn button is too restricting, as you may suddenly need Auto AF, for example.

EDIT - I think the only two buttons than handoff are the shutter and AF-ON.
As interpret Nikon's Sport AF Manual, the a7 setting enables focus point persistence, so the active focus point stays in position on the subject even switching AF modes. This works fine both ways ie CA to 3D and vice versa, using BBAF. I just tested on my marmalade cat's eyes 🐈

Thom Hogan's Z9 ebook says [pg 816] hand over only works one way: from a camera controlled mode (ie 3D or Auto) to a smaller area mode; but in practice, I find it is in fact bidirectional in AF point handover on wildlife subjects.

It's very useful, especially on the Z9.

Last edited:
To quote update, Added:

Update: I've now come up with a very specific group of camera settings and three observed (and different) results that can happen with them in regards to this, and have forwarded that along with commentary to Nikon.

This does bring up a very good question, though. I'm not 100% sure what is supposed to happen in my setting scenario. The specific issue has to do with 3D-tracking taking over focus on a button press. Exactly what should 3D-tracking track? I'd say that with no subject detection it should probably be the center of the currently active focus box. With subject detection active it should be the detected subject, but that can be bigger than the 3D-tracking area, so again, it should be the center of the subject detected box. However, if that's what the camera should do, this still can result in the 3D-tracking box moving from where you think it should be. There's more going on here than first meets the eye, particularly because of subject detection, which can have four states (none detected, subject detected, head/cockpit/front detected, eye detected).

It's starting to become clear to me that many of us had been taking advantage of a bug that created a feature (;~). Something in the firmware update changed the characteristics of the bug, which changes the feature. It will be interesting to see what Nikon does with this, and what their eventual "solution" is.

This posts recaps the issue on the focus bug, or bird:D, and can be skipped after reading the intro if you don't use this method.

Intro:

The use scenario is as follows and if your Z9 doesn’t do it then either you have the magic setting or got lucky. The erratic focusing happens when Custom Control f2 is set to back button AF-ON: 3D AF-Area + AF-ON and you have the shutter button set to also focus (Custom Focus setting A6- AF Activation - "Shutter/AF-ON") in any mode other than Dynamic. NOTE that all AF modes focused the same and worked like Dynamic in 2.1. So if you aren’t getting this you aren’t using this set up. The error is very prevalent with eye detect off and presents itself with eye detect on but no subject is found.

Some people have said it’s not relevant: What about landscape when you want to focus and recompose on a flower? Or a standing elephant when you want to focus on the trunk or tusks and recompose? Or macro on a butterfly? There are lots of cases for this use.

Yes, there are alternatives like Thom Hogan uses. Ok, others were not using that and prefer this method. Why? It’s based on setting Focus Setting A7 Focus point persistence set to Auto. This is explained in the Z9 Sports setting supplemental guide. This is how one focus method is handed off to another. Using one of the AF modes to get an initial lock and then handing off to 3D to track the subject. This method means less effort to track the subject once the handoff is made.

Replication:

Here is an exact combination that causes this “bug” to appear in firmware 3.0 compared to all previous firmware, if you would like to test it out:

1. AF- Continuous
  2. Back button AF-ON: 3D AF-Area + AF-ON (Custom Controls F2 shooting)
  3. AF activation set to Shutter/AF-ON (Custom Focus setting A6- AF Activation - "Shutter/AF-ON")
  4. Shutter: Modes Auto, Custom, Wide area boxes and to a lesser extent single causes the 3D to misbehave after 3.0 except Dynamic. Single point is fine if in the center but not when moved off center.
  5. Subject detection Off.

Testing scenario to clearly see the issue:
  1. Place an inanimate object on a table in front of you, and try to track it using the Back button AF-ON, do not press the shutter.
  2. See how the focus box erratically behaves. In 2.1 3D would instantly lock on in any AF mode.
  3. Now do the exact same scenario, but change your shutter to Dynamic (again, do not press the shutter). Now see how the box correctly behaves.
  4. You can try this with subject detection on and you will see if a subject is found the handoff works perfectly, but if not, you get the erratic behavior. I was using sunflowers in my test.

Both scenarios above worked exactly the same prior to 3.0.

In the video the user is attempting the handoff. Eye detect for whatever reason was not catching the pigeon eye and resulting in this behavior.
My camera acts exactly as described. I hope this issue is resolved in a future update. I don’t want to have to reconfigure the 3D button. I like my current set-up.

Marty

I just set this up on my Z9. On my camera the bug presents. Still a mystery for me and others. Did you ever do a reset as part of the upgrade?
No ... I have never done a reset on any of the Z cameras at any time so far. Also keep in mind I have not used it with 3.0 or 2.1 without having subject detect on and on animal. So I have never tried it on other things at least not deliberately :)

FWIW on the very rare occasion that I want to use the monitor for shooting I just pull out the bottom slightly and it immediately comes on. Frees up the Display button for other uses.
Yes that is the way it comes on but I want to be able to cycle through the display options and had not found an ergonomic option for me.

This posts recaps the issue on the focus bug, or bird:D, and can be skipped after reading the intro if you don't use this method.

Intro:

The use scenario is as follows and if your Z9 doesn’t do it then either you have the magic setting or got lucky. The erratic focusing happens when Custom Control f2 is set to back button AF-ON: 3D AF-Area + AF-ON and you have the shutter button set to also focus (Custom Focus setting A6- AF Activation - "Shutter/AF-ON") in any mode other than Dynamic. NOTE that all AF modes focused the same and worked like Dynamic in 2.1. So if you aren’t getting this you aren’t using this set up. The error is very prevalent with eye detect off and presents itself with eye detect on but no subject is found.

Some people have said it’s not relevant: What about landscape when you want to focus and recompose on a flower? Or a standing elephant when you want to focus on the trunk or tusks and recompose? Or macro on a butterfly? There are lots of cases for this use.

Yes, there are alternatives like Thom Hogan uses. Ok, others were not using that and prefer this method. Why? It’s based on setting Focus Setting A7 Focus point persistence set to Auto. This is explained in the Z9 Sports setting supplemental guide. This is how one focus method is handed off to another. Using one of the AF modes to get an initial lock and then handing off to 3D to track the subject. This method means less effort to track the subject once the handoff is made.

Replication:

Here is an exact combination that causes this “bug” to appear in firmware 3.0 compared to all previous firmware, if you would like to test it out:

1. AF- Continuous
  2. Back button AF-ON: 3D AF-Area + AF-ON (Custom Controls F2 shooting)
  3. AF activation set to Shutter/AF-ON (Custom Focus setting A6- AF Activation - "Shutter/AF-ON")
  4. Shutter: Modes Auto, Custom, Wide area boxes and to a lesser extent single causes the 3D to misbehave after 3.0 except Dynamic. Single point is fine if in the center but not when moved off center.
  5. Subject detection Off.

Testing scenario to clearly see the issue:
  1. Place an inanimate object on a table in front of you, and try to track it using the Back button AF-ON, do not press the shutter.
  2. See how the focus box erratically behaves. In 2.1 3D would instantly lock on in any AF mode.
  3. Now do the exact same scenario, but change your shutter to Dynamic (again, do not press the shutter). Now see how the box correctly behaves.
  4. You can try this with subject detection on and you will see if a subject is found the handoff works perfectly, but if not, you get the erratic behavior. I was using sunflowers in my test.

Both scenarios above worked exactly the same prior to 3.0.

In the video the user is attempting the handoff. Eye detect for whatever reason was not catching the pigeon eye and resulting in this behavior.
Yes, I understand your point and can readily replicate the behavior.
However that was not point of my post. The scene in the video needs no "handoff". It's a great lump of pigeon with big bright eyes on a clear BG. The thing will focus on it's eye all day long in the first AF mode he uses (Wide Area with subject recognition). How does he get it to not focus in the first place? It seems absurd to me.

Two points

1-Some people do not think that the hybrid technique should be used without subject detection.

2-If the user wants to use 3d for a general subject, he can use it via the base setting, not through the hybrid technique

It looks like what some people labeling a bug is the fact the FW 3 requires subject recognition for hybrid technique while prior to FW 3, such requirement was not integrated into the algorithm.

Why Nikon integrated subject recognition for 3d into the algorithm to work when using hybrid technique in FW 3.0 and not prior to that?
That what decides if it is a bug or not a bug?

If such implementation is needed to improve the functionality of tracking BIF or the like (Which is the case according to many people who noticed the improvement), then it is not a bug.
If it was included by mistake (The need for subject recognition for 3d to work in hybrid technique), then it is a bug

But the fact that the 3d will switch to auto area when subject recognition is turned off or no subject is recognized, it indicates that Nikon intended to make it this way.

So if some one likes to call it a bug, then it is a bug, and if some one does not want to label it as a bug, then it is not a bug.

Philip

I managed less than half of the video, It is unintelligible. I was hoping to see some logical layout and explanation and controls etc. Guy mumbling in the soundtrack sounds confused. I have yet to read a coherent explanation, as conflicting complaints are posted on 2 other forums and the Z9 fb page.

The 'hybrid' focusing method described by Thom Hogan here is one many of us have been using successfully on Nikon 's triumvirate over the past few years (ie since D5 and D500 were released early 2016) - and modified it to interleave activations of the Z9 Subject-Recognition and other AF Modes.

There are conflicting descriptions and reports of this so-called bug. I reset my Z9 to try and emulate any malfunctions first focusing with Wide-L then 3d, AutoAF etc, and vice versa. Not only AFOn on BBAF but also AFMode+AFon.

Z9 works as normal with v3.0 as with v2.11
Thank you for the link to what Thom means by a hybrid system. I honestly never had or have a use for the "hybrid systems" DSLR and now Z9 that Thom is describing. But at least now I know what people are talking about when they say "hybrid system" it still ties up my thumb when I want it to move focus point around etc. and I do not want the camera to lock into a static focus. In my photography world something is always moving and that is what AF C if for. I do not stack, do very few landscapes and tried night photography and it was to slow and boring for me so I just admire seeing the images others produce. I have been hyper active all my life so that type of static photography is not pleasant for me.

Last edited:
Fully understood but to be honest with you, two things are at play here 1. convenience of not needing to switch settings or banks for different subjects and the fact that it can work beautifully before using 3D tracking for non animal people subjects. 2. It does not work reliably as some have demonstrated and I have seen for myself as it is in version 3.0, it is temperamental and it does not matter whether subject detection is on or not, it would front focus even if the subject is right in front of the 3D mode. I’ll add another point - why is it that when switching from dynamic or single point to 3D it works but when switching from a wide mode or auto mode it does not work.? are the wide and auto modes only for subjects recognised because even if you switch subject recognition off those modes can still be used but not with 3D tracking - thats so not right, anyways I have gone back to version 2.11 and all is great and works as it should, its not a matter of whether this was implemented by Nikon for a different reason or not it’s a matter of what should be the case and 3D tracking is not just for subjects only.

I finally had a hour and a half to go over to a large pond 4 minutes by foot from my apartment.
I got to test a bunch of settings with FW 3.0 installed on ducks, geese, cormorants and gulls. Unfortunately no small birds. In the field I played around first with my old method. Manual with auto ISO, AF C, center weighted or matrix metering. Subject detection on with Animal tracking and vid record button set to recall shooting function and only thing in it toggles subject detection on and off.

Lens memory set button on lens set to toggle fx and dx on and off

shutter set half press focus and to wide area custom1 5x3 and af on button to 3D with "hand off" A7 focus point peristance turned on to auto., FN 1 single point AF, FN 2 wide area custom2 13x7.

After playing with many different mixes I ended up at :

Subject detection on with Animal tracking and vid record button set to recall shooting function and only thing in it toggles subject detection on and off.

Manual with auto ISO, AF C, matrix metering first choice center weighted second, with lens memory set button set to toggle fx and dx.

Shutter set half press focus with wide area custom1 5x3.
"hand off" A7 focus point peristance turned off.
AF-ON button set to Auto Area AF + AF on.
Fn1 button to Auto Area AF single point + AF on.
Fn2 button to wide area custom2 13x7 + AF on.

With this set up my thumb is not tied up to focus except with Auto Area AF so free to move focus points around (not needed in Auto Area AF) as needed. And free to adjust shutter speed etc. most of the time.

I did not see a huge difference with "handoff" A7 focus point persistence auto on but anecdotally I saw some negative impact and did not miss it when it was off so left it off.

I did see what I perceived as an improvement in Auto Area AF with matrix metering as pointed out earlier by @EricBowles that focus mode gets info from matrix metering system so I turned it on.

So this is my "hybrid" version of having fast one button focus with the AF mode selection. Yet having my thumb free most of the time. It seems to work for this hyper active old birder dude.

I now need to go find some small birds to test this set up on.

I just downloaded hundreds of images to my computer and now starting through all these experimental shots, the "Good, Bad and the Ugly" with Nx Studio easiest place for me to get most of the info on what my settings were. It is going to take a while ... used to fast culling with photo mechanic 6 but in this case I need to see what the bad shot settings were. I know the "few" :) that were no doubt sloppy user error.

I've only had my Z9 for a couple of weeks so I wasn't totally familiar with the options available in the customization menu when I upgraded the firmware. What I'm getting to is that I think one of the best options that became available with firmware 3.0 is the option to set several buttons to AF-ON with a different auto focus area. Previously I would have to hold, for instance, function button 1 for spot focus and press AF-ON and then the shutter button to fire. Now I can program the display button , as well as many others, for spot focus and I can move my finger from the AF-ON button to the display button to change AF areas and activate focus. We now have 7 buttons ( 8 if you include the shutter button ) that can be programed to different auto focus areas AND activate focus! I always found it difficult to hold a function button, the AF-ON button and the shutter button to get a shot. This frees up precious brain cells for more important things! Two fingers instead of three. So I've set mine up so that the AF-ON button is set to single point, function 1 is dynamic small, Function 2 is wide large, function 3 is wide 9 x 7, display is 3D. My reasoning was that I could move from the smallest to the biggest ( almost ) AF area if it's needed and the 3D would be just a slide over to the left.

I used my Z9 with Fw 3.0 and can only see some refinements in the AF algorithm. I do not use 3D tracking on the AF-ON button. After FW 2.0, I'm using Auto area AF 90% of the time, set to shutter AF and use either 3D tracking (set to sub-selector) for static or slow moving subjects when I will have to direct the AF box to the eyes or one of the Wide area modes (L,S and C1) for challenging action shots. Didn't want to change my settings and fix something that ain't broken so I didn't risk trying to test the 3D tracking bug a lot of folks are reporting.

In general I see AF has become very responsive across all the AF modes. For BIF I could see the camera track the eyes or the head area most of the time, even for water birds with long necks. I need to test this with more subjects though. I had a chance to test BIF with Kestrel, Short toed snake eagle and grey herons and the AF box was either on the eyes or somewhere near the head area when the birds were moving side ways. Kestrels and Short toed eagles are a bit tricky for AF as there are several spots that can fool the subject detection algorithm but the Z9 did well. I think there are also improvements in BIF tracking against busy backgrounds or when subjects transition from sky to busy background.

i've only played around with it a bit, but one thing i've noticed is when subject detection is turned on, it seems to want to "find" a subject more and thus not want to "fallback" and stick to non subjects.

i suspect this is the root of a lot of people's angst, they're used to when the camera doesn't find a subject, it sticks to the thing anyway. i notice if you flip off subject detection it works very much like it did before.

i suspect this is a net win and probably how they are making it "stickier" because it's less likely to go to fallback behavior so if the camera looses something momentarily, it's not as likely to just jump to anything, it's going to wait for a subject, but i can see how it can be disconcerting because we really want it to stick to the subject we have in our mind.

i'm guessing the key to success here might be to assign a button with a non subject detection af mode assigned in case you are struggling with a specific subject. in my case, i usually have single point assigned to l-fn, but i'm thinking of maybe switching that to 3d w/o subject detection.
Flipping off subject detection still does not make it stick to non subjects

Two points

1-Some people do not think that the hybrid technique should be used without subject detection.

2-If the user wants to use 3d for a general subject, he can use it via the base setting, not through the hybrid technique

It looks like what some people labeling a bug is the fact the FW 3 requires subject recognition for hybrid technique while prior to FW 3, such requirement was not integrated into the algorithm.

Why Nikon integrated subject recognition for 3d into the algorithm to work when using hybrid technique in FW 3.0 and not prior to that?
That what decides if it is a bug or not a bug?

If such implementation is needed to improve the functionality of tracking BIF or the like (Which is the case according to many people who noticed the improvement), then it is not a bug.
If it was included by mistake (The need for subject recognition for 3d to work in hybrid technique), then it is a bug

But the fact that the 3d will switch to auto area when subject recognition is turned off or no subject is recognized, it indicates that Nikon intended to make it this way.

So if some one likes to call it a bug, then it is a bug, and if some one does not want to label it as a bug, then it is not a bug.

Philip
3d is meant to stick to the subject what ever that - it did before (even with subject detection) but it does not now even with subject detection off.

I finally had a hour and a half to go over to a large pond 4 minutes by foot from my apartment.
I got to test a bunch of settings with FW 3.0 installed on ducks, geese, cormorants and gulls. Unfortunately no small birds. In the field I played around first with my old method. Manual with auto ISO, AF C, center weighted or matrix metering. Subject detection on with Animal tracking and vid record button set to recall shooting function and only thing in it toggles subject detection on and off.

So this is my "hybrid" version of having fast one button focus with the AF mode selection. Yet having my thumb free most of the time. It seems to work for this hyper active old birder dude.
I now need to go find some small birds to test this set up on.

Ken -- I am with you and others - v3.0 is a definite improvement and folk just need to adapt.

Like others neither my pair of Z9 nor the upwards of a dozen Z9 owned/used by the folk I shoot with have suffered any technical issues and no issues since updating to firmware v3.0 and we have all shot many hundreds of thousands images.

Many of the so called bugs claimed on "most frequently" DP Review -- turn out to be either user issues or local technical issues (ie unique to that person's gear) -- most frequently folk have "messed" with the camera while the firmware is installing and/or the terminals on lenses/TCs/body needed cleaning.
In every case the guidance is clear - save your settings Before Updating the Firmware, install the firmware and leave the camera alone for a god 15 minutes - don't touch it, move it AND do not turn the camera on or off during the process, then Load your saved settings. Once done - you may wish to look at the changes/new menu settings and there are only a few.

Users should go into the G2 Custom Settings menus reconfirm their selection of roles they have programmed to each button -- in one case a shooter had allocated FX/DX switching to his Lens fn 2 button and this did not work "as previously" when he inserted a ZTC14 -- well I tested it with 4 lenses on 2 bodies and both the ZTC14 and ZTC20 and it worked perfectly as designed.

The seconded claimed bug relates to AF and those that use the "hybrid" hand off from Auto-Area AF (without Subject Tracking) to 3D-tracking (which of course does not have subject/eye tracking by default). YES the behaviour seems to have changed (a tiny bit) and Yes it is still crazy to use Auto-Area AF without Subject Tracking enabled.
That said some do and don't like the "new behaviour" -- well adapt.
Hudson Henry has posted one vid and is preparing a series of more detailed vids on how he is adapting his hybrid shooting approach to shoot with v3.0. Steve P has promissed to provide further guidance when he can and so has Thom H.
My guidance is to read Thom Hogan's z9 book and both of Steve Perry's books (one on the Z9 and the other on how Nikon Mirrorless AF works) these explain precisely how each AF mode works in detail -- my conclusion is Fn 1 = single spot with AF-on. Fn2 = dynamic-medium with AF-on, Shutter = Area-C2 (or other set-up specific selection) with AF-on and The AF-on button - 3D-tracking with AF-ON. The hand off from half pressed shutter to 3D should only be used when your selected subject is under the focus point. Using Single Point or Dynamic Area options do not immediately hand off to 3D - but I have and can just release the Fn button immediately prior to pressing the AF-ON button.
Some folk like Hudson seem to use a Lens button to trigger AF-ON and remove AF-ON from the shutter button -- based on his comments I expect that he still programs the rear AF-ON button to initiate 3D-tracking with AF-on.
Like most who make a living or spent lots of their time shooting wildlife -- we welcome the improved low light AF, the improvements for video shooter and the other changes v3.0 has provided. BUT -- Nikon still has a way to go to deliver all the other improvements we have requested.

Ken -- I am with you and others - v3.0 is a definite improvement and folk just need to adapt.

Like others neither my pair of Z9 nor the upwards of a dozen Z9 owned/used by the folk I shoot with have suffered any technical issues and no issues since updating to firmware v3.0 and we have all shot many hundreds of thousands images.

Many of the so called bugs claimed on "most frequently" DP Review -- turn out to be either user issues or local technical issues (ie unique to that person's gear) -- most frequently folk have "messed" with the camera while the firmware is installing and/or the terminals on lenses/TCs/body needed cleaning.
In every case the guidance is clear - save your settings Before Updating the Firmware, install the firmware and leave the camera alone for a god 15 minutes - don't touch it, move it AND do not turn the camera on or off during the process, then Load your saved settings. Once done - you may wish to look at the changes/new menu settings and there are only a few.

Users should go into the G2 Custom Settings menus reconfirm their selection of roles they have programmed to each button -- in one case a shooter had allocated FX/DX switching to his Lens fn 2 button and this did not work "as previously" when he inserted a ZTC14 -- well I tested it with 4 lenses on 2 bodies and both the ZTC14 and ZTC20 and it worked perfectly as designed.

The seconded claimed bug relates to AF and those that use the "hybrid" hand off from Auto-Area AF (without Subject Tracking) to 3D-tracking (which of course does not have subject/eye tracking by default). YES the behaviour seems to have changed (a tiny bit) and Yes it is still crazy to use Auto-Area AF without Subject Tracking enabled.
That said some do and don't like the "new behaviour" -- well adapt.
Hudson Henry has posted one vid and is preparing a series of more detailed vids on how he is adapting his hybrid shooting approach to shoot with v3.0. Steve P has promissed to provide further guidance when he can and so has Thom H.
My guidance is to read Thom Hogan's z9 book and both of Steve Perry's books (one on the Z9 and the other on how Nikon Mirrorless AF works) these explain precisely how each AF mode works in detail -- my conclusion is Fn 1 = single spot with AF-on. Fn2 = dynamic-medium with AF-on, Shutter = Area-C2 (or other set-up specific selection) with AF-on and The AF-on button - 3D-tracking with AF-ON. The hand off from half pressed shutter to 3D should only be used when your selected subject is under the focus point. Using Single Point or Dynamic Area options do not immediately hand off to 3D - but I have and can just release the Fn button immediately prior to pressing the AF-ON button.
Some folk like Hudson seem to use a Lens button to trigger AF-ON and remove AF-ON from the shutter button -- based on his comments I expect that he still programs the rear AF-ON button to initiate 3D-tracking with AF-on.
Like most who make a living or spent lots of their time shooting wildlife -- we welcome the improved low light AF, the improvements for video shooter and the other changes v3.0 has provided. BUT -- Nikon still has a way to go to deliver all the other improvements we have requested.
Wow! Soooo many rules in how to setup our cameras that are meant to be configurable ?! Anyways…. It worked before and does not now. The statement “Yes it is still crazy to use Auto-Area AF without Subject Tracking enabled” sounds ridiculous as all previous Nikons did not have the animal etc… detection. Also 3D focus point was able to be placed on subjects that camera could not detect as animal for example a bird in a tree or near branches and it would lock. 3d would lock on anything and we could move around and take photos at different angles prior to v3.0. WELL NOW….. in v3.0 it’s not possible as 3D jumps around even when the subject is right in front of it, it would jump forwards and anywhere, ignoring our commands to focus where we place it. Please note this even happens when subject detection is not on but off.

Wow! Soooo many rules in how to setup our cameras that are meant to be configurable ?! Anyways…. It worked before and does not now. The statement “Yes it is still crazy to use Auto-Area AF without Subject Tracking enabled” sounds ridiculous as all previous Nikons did not have the animal etc… detection. Also 3D focus point was able to be placed on subjects that camera could not detect as animal for example a bird in a tree or near branches and it would lock. 3d would lock on anything and we could move around and take photos at different angles prior to v3.0. WELL NOW….. in v3.0 it’s not possible as 3D jumps around even when the subject is right in front of it, it would jump forwards and anywhere, ignoring our commands to focus where we place it. Please note this even happens when subject detection is not on but off
We won't know until Nikon responds. One of the people reporting the issue has said Nikon has acknowledged it and will be addressing it in the next update. Don't know more than that. Yes I have to change my muscle memory if 3D is only for subject detected situations. I don't think that's what they intend. Also it seems as if the Fn1,2,3 buttons don't handoff to 3D and the camera is too new to me to know if that's how it was. Some are reporting that as an issue too, so we just need to wait and see.

Edit: If you haven't read it see Hogans addendum to his post:

Update: I've now come up with a very specific group of camera settings and three observed (and different) results that can happen with them in regards to this, and have forwarded that along with commentary to Nikon.

This does bring up a very good question, though. I'm not 100% sure what is supposed to happen in my setting scenario. The specific issue has to do with 3D-tracking taking over focus on a button press. Exactly what should 3D-tracking track? I'd say that with no subject detection it should probably be the center of the currently active focus box. With subject detection active it should be the detected subject, but that can be bigger than the 3D-tracking area, so again, it should be the center of the subject detected box. However, if that's what the camera should do, this still can result in the 3D-tracking box moving from where you think it should be. There's more going on here than first meets the eye, particularly because of subject detection, which can have four states (none detected, subject detected, head/cockpit/front detected, eye detected).

It's starting to become clear to me that many of us had been taking advantage of a bug that created a feature (;~). Something in the firmware update changed the characteristics of the bug, which changes the feature. It will be interesting to see what Nikon does with this, and what their eventual "solution" is.

Last edited:
There was no bug before but there is a bug now. You said the camera is newish to you - I can tell you thatYes it is meant to handoff to 3d - however handoff from wide or auto does not operate correctly in v3.0, it was great in v2. I just tested on a plane in the sky and although wide - L did not recognize it as it was a bit smaller, 3D in version 2.1 locked onto it, if I recall when I had v3 it did not do that - that’s just another example of the issue.

Back