Z9 Firmware 3.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just want to be able to turn off subject detection when I don't need subject detection. I rarely if ever use 3D with or without subject detection, mainly just using the other area modes. However, there are occasions where, being able to turn it off, would be a better bet for just normal shooting, quickly, on the fly. It's not a pride thing at all, it's just that subject detection and being able to turn it off is there for a reason and as such should be doable with one press of a button, otherwise don't have the subject detection switchable at all. It's not generally a big deal as just switching to single point or whatever can generally give you the same result, but I also don't see the reason why it shouldn't be implemented to a single Fn button if I want.
@Lance B -- help me out but what moving subject are you shooting that does not benefit from Subject detection?
-- animals for wildlife, human for people and vehicles for everything vehicular including bicycles and bikes (that would be motorbikes/scooters), boats, trains, airplanes, helicopter etc.... .
The evidence and guidance is clear -- use of an Area AF mode without subject detection is a random walk of the camera "reacting" to higher contrast brighter and close objects.
Why not use Dynamic or Single Point AF to start then switch to 3D etc... ? This is precisely what Ricci meant when he said "probably using the wrong Af option".
AND since the camera defaults to no-subject detection behaviour when it does not detect a subject it recognises -- why are you so concerned you "have to" turn SD off?
I do understand if there are lots of potential subjects and you want to select just one -- in this case going to a small area would help or just go to dynamic-AF.

Last edited:
Lance -- We got Ricci to acknowledge that as a Nikon Educator we would be best served if Nikon "actually" issued something that described how AF and Subject Detection actually works and he "agreed" to post a video that does the same, since he does not write books.

If you want to read my rant on the subject please follow the link (warning my language is moderated here - it is not in my own blog).

Far far too many are simply not listening to or reading the guidance that the likes Steve P or Thom Hogan have provided AND, sure, Nikon has added to the confusion by simply FAILING to publish anything on the AF changes other than 4 bullet points. The new supplemental firmware update guide they released with firmware v3.0 says NOTHING on the AF changes and how these may impact users.

My guess is that Nikon did not consider that anything they had done changed how users should use their Z9 and this is true -- there have been no changes in how to use Subject Detection with v3.0 -- it is just been improved. Interestingly the release guides for 2.0 and 2.1 were also silent on Z9 Subject detection - so we have to look in Thom Hogan's guides on the Z9 (all of them) to see that the Z9 came with a different approach to 3D-tracking and Subject Detection when it was launched.

If folk would listen to Ricci and not simply be offended when he states that users were AND I am paraphrasing "using their Z9 AF wrongly, but getting away with it before" -- he and others are providing guides on how to use the Z9 after v3.0 "more correctly" -- but as a lifetime shoot I say OK, but we also need to have alternatives and back-up options programmed into our bodies and fingers so we can adapt when we need to get the shot.

I wrote to Nikon/NPS demanding they issue updates/guidance on AF in the real world.

In the meantime -- unless you have very very very good reasons not to while using Areas-AF and 3D-tracking select detection for your type of subject AND use smaller, rather than larger Areas. Have single point and dynamic area options +AF-ON assigned to Fn buttons so you can switch AND learn/embed skills to acquire/track and adjust Af mode on the fly. Please don't die in the ditch of your own pride -- just use whatever works on the Z9 NOW -- not stay stuck in how things used to work.

Turning OFF subject Detection is the WRONG choice and not something I will be doing.
Even with subject detection OFF the issue is still there. 3D tracking is meant to track subject its placed on regardless of subject detection for animal or otherwise is ON or OFF, its especeially meant to work with subject detection OFF but it does not. 3D tracking has become a subject tracking AF mode like in previous cameras, its no longer a 3D mode. In version 2, 3D would track whatever it was placed on and still does even in handoff when primary af-on is set to single or dynamic modes - It just does not work when primary focus is in the wide/auto modes.

@Lance B -- help me out but what moving subject are you shooting that does not benefit from Subject detection?
-- animals for wildlife, human for people and vehicles for everything vehicular including bicycles and bikes (that would be motorbikes/scooters), boats, trains, airplanes, helicopter etc.... .
The evidence and guidance is clear -- use of an Area AF mode without subject detection is a random walk of the camera "reacting" to higher contrast brighter and close objects.
Why not use Dynamic or Single Point AF to start then switch to 3D etc... ? This is precisely what Ricci meant when he said "probably using the wrong Af option".
AND since the camera defaults to no-subject detection behaviour when it does not detect a subject it recognises -- why are you so concerned you "have to" turn SD off?
I do understand if there are lots of potential subjects and you want to select just one -- in this case going to a small area would help or just go to dynamic-AF

Like Lance, I've been screaming for a dedicated on/off option for sub detection. I hate burning my one RSF on it. (I know I can have four RSFs using banks, but the idea of RSF is to instantly have access to a setting or group of settings, not muck around in the menu to get the proper RSF first and then press the button :) )

One wildlife scenario that comes up all the time is when shooting a flying bird. Generally, the faster a subject is in the frame, the less able subject detection is to stick to the face (a big part of the reason is that the bird is harder to keep in the same place in the frame, but that's another discussion). So, in those situations, it often goes for the body. In my book I show a shot of an anhinga where, when I was using subject detection, I would have my Wide (S) AF area on the face / neck, but the camera, failing to recognize either, would move it to the body. This resulting in 100% of the images having a soft eye. So, I shut it off and used it "old school" and my keeper rate skyrocketed.

In addition, there are plenty of subjects where subject detection struggles to stick to an eye but you want to use the current AF area. In those cases, a quick switch to turn it off is handy. In fact, it's handy enough I do have my RSF set to disable it as needed.

Can someone explain the following scenario please: I use backbutton focus only (AF-ON only) not the shutter button for focusing which I think is the best way to control when we need to focus.
I have af-on set to whatever I decide at that moment. Focus persistence is ON (Auto). I have FN1 set to 3D, FN2 set to wide-c 1x1, FN3 set to dynamic-L.
1) IF - I have af-on set to wide-l at present when I’m shooting BIF or animal wildlife, I start with wide-L (AF-ON button) and handoff to 3D when locked on - THIS WORKS In V2 and V3.
2) IF - there is a small bird or something hidden in branches or a subject that is not an animal that I want to track - I dont press the wide-l (AF-ON button) BUT lock on with 3D (However works ONLY IN VERSION 2, NOT V3 even if I turn subject detection OFF).
3) IF - I have had set my AF-ON button to dynamic or single point - again NOT pressing it as the same scenario above (2) -pressing FN1 - (3D tracking) - it works both in V2 AND in V3.

Can someone explain why this is the case ?

Can someone explain the following scenario please: I use backbutton focus only (AF-ON only) not the shutter button for focusing which I think is the best way to control when we need to focus.
I have af-on set to whatever I decide at that moment. Focus persistence is ON (Auto). I have FN1 set to 3D, FN2 set to wide-c 1x1, FN3 set to dynamic-L.
1) IF - I have af-on set to wide-l at present when I’m shooting BIF or animal wildlife, I start with wide-L (AF-ON button) and handoff to 3D when locked on - THIS WORKS In V2 and V3.
Similar settings and tactics, except I've settled on a Custom Area mode, of which I don't hesitate to modify dimensions
2) IF - there is a small bird or something hidden in branches or a subject that is not an animal that I want to track - I dont press the wide-l (AF-ON button) BUT lock on with 3D (However works ONLY IN VERSION 2, NOT V3 even if I turn subject detection OFF).
Usually in these situations instead of unconstrained 3D with SR, I switch to CA 5*3, 1*1 or a similar tighter Group mode, with Subject Recognition On.
If it struggles to find the eye/head. Then I turn Off SR, or simply switch to Singlepoint; using this toggle to switch CA 1*1 into Single point.
I don't find any obvious difference between V2 not V3 firmware
3) IF - I have had set my AF-ON button to dynamic or single point - again NOT pressing it as the same scenario above (2) -pressing FN1 - (3D tracking) - it works both in V2 AND in V3.

As I read this, it sounds like the pattern,shape recognition in 3D with SR in your 2) is struggling to detect the subject. Possibly there are too many conflicting patterns in the overall search area

Like Lance, I've been screaming for a dedicated on/off option for sub detection. I hate burning my one RSF on it. (I know I can have four RSFs using banks, but the idea of RSF is to instantly have access to a setting or group of settings, not muck around in the menu to get the proper RSF first and then press the button :) )

Thanks for the response -- I too would welcome additional programing options and more than one RSF. But in the meantime we have Area modes and 3D tracking with SD ON or OFF or Single Point or Dynamic-Area AF. However -- today Z9 shooters "have" to choose their set up for each encounter and perhaps change between encounters but only to programmable Fn buttons during the time a subject flies by.

I tend to shoot BIF with C1-area and SD for Animals ON initiated using either the shutter button and/or a lens button and 3D tracking (allocated to the Af-on button) and with the aperture setting closed down enough such that the head, body and wings of the BIF are all in focus, same for pray and predators.
This arrangement worked very well with Falcons and other very fast moving raptors. As noted by others when a bird or animal is moving slower single point or dynamic area can be used to focus on one subject or to place the focus on a subject if it is in very complex environments.

I am intrigued to confirm under which Af modes SD works -- for example one can select SD options while having selected Single Point and and Dynamic Area AF modes, but based on Thom Hogan's book I believe the Z9 still only utilizes subject detection when Auto-area, Wide-area and 3D-tracking are being used.

What feels like decades ago I used Dynamic-Area AF and GRP on DSLRs far more often than any other AF-option and we "learned" to acquire and track BIF - panning etc.. as necessary to keep our subjects under the AF point/grp. Such approaches are still key for me.
I will not use any Area AF mode without subject tracking unless I know in advance that the subject i am shooting will not be recognised by the Z9's SD system. That can occur on the day or I keep a register of subjects where it has worked well and not so well. I can remember seeing Sony shooters struggle with long-necked birds -- swans, geese and the like -- now they seem to have less issues.

One wildlife scenario that comes up all the time is when shooting a flying bird. Generally, the faster a subject is in the frame, the less able subject detection is to stick to the face (a big part of the reason is that the bird is harder to keep in the same place in the frame, but that's another discussion). So, in those situations, it often goes for the body. In my book I show a shot of an anhinga where, when I was using subject detection, I would have my Wide (S) AF area on the face / neck, but the camera, failing to recognize either, would move it to the body. This resulting in 100% of the images having a soft eye. So, I shut it off and used it "old school" and my keeper rate skyrocketed.
By old school do you mean -- Area-AF modes without subject tracking or single point/dynamic-area options
In addition, there are plenty of subjects where subject detection struggles to stick to an eye but you want to use the current AF area. In those cases, a quick switch to turn it off is handy. In fact, it's handy enough I do have my RSF set to disable it as needed.
It certainly would help to understand which species the Z9's SD works well with and which it struggles with or ignores. It certainly would help if there was an icon in the EVF that showed when SD has identified and is tracking a subject -- the Green focus box is probably it. This data could be used to provide feedback to the Nikon R&D team as well.

It certainly would help if there was an icon in the EVF that showed when SD has identified and is tracking a subject -- the Green focus box is probably it. This data could be used to provide feedback to the Nikon R&D team as well.
i think it would be cool if the camera outlined the object it’s identified in a unique color (an outline, not a box). but i’m guessing it would require too much computing power and reveal too much about the sausage making than they would prefer

I tend to shoot BIF with C1-area and SD for Animals ON initiated using either the shutter button and/or a lens button and 3D tracking (allocated to the Af-on button) and with the aperture setting closed down enough such that the head, body and wings of the BIF are all in focus, same for pray and predators.
This arrangement worked very well with Falcons and other very fast moving raptors. As noted by others when a bird or animal is moving slower single point or dynamic area can be used to focus on one subject or to place the focus on a subject if it is in very complex environments.

The issue with stopping down to cover AF errors is that you lose subject isolation. Plus, in the best light, it'll really push ISOs. Also, part of the reason why I may seem so "demanding" with Nikon is that my Sony a1 doesn't have this issue - if subject detection isn't working well, I have a one button push to shut it off. Easy :).

I am intrigued to confirm under which Af modes SD works -- for example one can select SD options while having selected Single Point and and Dynamic Area AF modes, but based on Thom Hogan's book I believe the Z9 still only utilizes subject detection when Auto-area, Wide-area and 3D-tracking are being used.

Yes, it only works in 3D, Auto, and Wide.

By old school do you mean -- Area-AF modes without subject tracking or single point/dynamic-area options

Yes - Usually Wide (S) if we're getting right down to it. :)

It certainly would help to understand which species the Z9's SD works well with and which it struggles with or ignores. It certainly would help if there was an icon in the EVF that showed when SD has identified and is tracking a subject -- the Green focus box is probably it. This data could be used to provide feedback to the Nikon R&D team as well.

Technically, the Z9 is only rated for dogs, cats, and birds. That's it. Most of the time I can tell if SD has it though since the AF area adjusts size (3D), goes from multiple AF points to just a single one active (Auto), or shows the little green square in or just outside the Wide AF area. Still, I wouldn't object to more info in the viewfinder for SD :)

No issue with squirrels, deer and antelope. I have not had a chance to shoot Nile Crocs or many lizards yet. Reptiles and insects have been tough in the past. I will add your items to the list I keep pestering Nikon Europe and NPS UK with — but since I got Timecode jamming …….

No issue with squirrels, deer and antelope. I have not had a chance to shoot Nile Crocs or many lizards yet. Reptiles and insects have been tough in the past. I will add your items to the list I keep pestering Nikon Europe and NPS UK with — but since I got Timecode jamming …….
I should have added that it does work well with lots of "unsupported" subjects :) It actually will sometimes get on croc eyes and lizard eyes (iguanas). It's good with raccoons, some primates, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. I don't know why Nikon only claims cats, dogs, and birds.

Similar settings and tactics, except I've settled on a Custom Area mode, of which I don't hesitate to modify dimensions

Usually in these situations instead of unconstrained 3D with SR, I switch to CA 5*3, 1*1 or a similar tighter Group mode, with Subject Recognition On.
If it struggles to find the eye/head. Then I turn Off SR, or simply switch to Singlepoint; using this toggle to switch CA 1*1 into Single point.
I don't find any obvious difference between V2 not V3 firmware

As I read this, it sounds like the pattern,shape recognition in 3D with SR in your 2) is struggling to detect the subject. Possibly there are too many conflicting patterns in the overall search area
With regards to scenario 2) if subject detection is OFF - 3D still does not lock onto what ever I am pointing at (this may well not be a recognizable subject) however 3D should still lock onto what ever it is when it is placed there as it did in version2.

I don't know why Nikon only claims cats, dogs, and birds.
It's setting expectations - for a reputable company, setting too high expectations and not meeting them is bad for your reputation ;) But beyond that, it's underpromising - set low expectations, and then exceed them (e.g. some of the best audio amp companies do this - "rated at 40 watts/channel" when it has more, and better quality power than another company touting "1000 watts/channel!!!111")

I do agree with a lot of folks here that SD off should be button assignable, and (speaking as a software dev), should be (aka "I hope" :) easy to implement. I *always* want more options/flexibility - let me choose! Please don't restrict my choices (or, if it gets too confusing for lower level users, hide the advanced features behind a menu item somewhere).

btw, I did scant tests of the AF bug/issue that ppl see, - Z9; Z 24-70mm f/4 in kinda low light; BBAF auto area; Fn1 3D; persistence on - I didn't see the problem, but I consider this to be a very inadequate test, and I believe the people saying that it operates differently now.

One more note on Nikon not talking in detail about the way things work internally. First, they do not want to give clues to the competition about how they do what they do - so getting too specific makes it easier for rival engineers to copy features. But secondly, writing good documentation is very hard, and takes a lot of time and effort - and that is almost always underestimated in the tech industry, and the users. After no one reads the manual, amirite? :)

Having Steve, and Ricci demonstrating the features in use, in video is great for this sort of real-time device - really likely the best way given the complexity of this hardware/software beast. But those demos can never be fully comprehensive (as good documentation is expected to be), and shows one path of usage - not a bad thing, but when Nikon, or anyone, releases printed materials, and a user can't find the exact thing/scenario they want, the user tends to be less than happy....

It's hard to juggle all these things, when Nikon is trying to create MY Z8! errr Z90 DX baby Z9! The next great thing. haha

Cheers!

...Dave...

So.... here I am, with a Z9 and four Z 'S' lenses shooting sports with 3D and BBF issues, and NPS keeps this private..... we are not amused. Nov 10th Mark Cruz has a special on line webinar about firm 3.0 with no recording, and I cannot view.... we are not amused. (former NPS UK member)
it's not like they are going to tackle any of these issues directly.

So.... here I am, with a Z9 and four Z 'S' lenses shooting sports with 3D and BBF issues, and NPS keeps this private..... we are not amused. Nov 10th Mark Cruz has a special on line webinar about firm 3.0 with no recording, and I cannot view.... we are not amused. (former NPS UK member)
You can get similar information from this forum and by using Steve Perry's Z9 Set Up ebook.....which is superb when paired with his Secrets to the Nikon Auto Focus Systems - Mirrorless edition.

Members here often share information that comes out of the NPS webinars.

A very large percentage of the NPS members are photographers who make their living using the Nikon products and spend big money for a wide variety of cameras and lenses. Airlines, stores, and other manufactures have programs for those who represent and purchase large amounts of their products.

it's not like they are going to tackle any of these issues directly.
Indeed, but at least I know where I stand, and where I should not butt my head trying to fix something - that cannot be fixed yet!

It is about understanding the inner working and LOGIC of the Z9 focus, so I can adapt my workflow pending resolutions, or alternate method.

Do I have to go back to BBF prefocus on the jump like with a D2X, D3 or D4? These are questions in my mind....

Should I just abandon tracking? It works, but all too often focus pops in/out of focus during a 20fps sequence....

Is it my setting's faults or somthing with the camera logic.

I can deal with something with the camera, but I need to know if indeed the camera and not me. Else I waste my time trying to set up the features.

THE ISSUE: my Olympus M1X tracks PERFECTLY - so I KNOW it can be done, but the Z9 file is too beautiful to ignore, and is an asset to my work.

Last edited:
The issue with stopping down to cover AF errors is that you lose subject isolation. Plus, in the best light, it'll really push ISOs. Also, part of the reason why I may seem so "demanding" with Nikon is that my Sony a1 doesn't have this issue - if subject detection isn't working well, I have a one button push to shut it off. Easy :).

Yes, it only works in 3D, Auto, and Wide.

Yes - Usually Wide (S) if we're getting right down to it. :)

Technically, the Z9 is only rated for dogs, cats, and birds. That's it. Most of the time I can tell if SD has it though since the AF area adjusts size (3D), goes from multiple AF points to just a single one active (Auto), or shows the little green square in or just outside the Wide AF area. Still, I wouldn't object to more info in the viewfinder for SD :)
But Steve, haven't you created a work-around by programing the lens Fn button to Recall Shooting functions (auto subject detection), so that you can turn auto detection off and on with one button push? I'm sure you would rather not use Recall Shooting Functions for this, but it does seem to be an eloquent solution. Maybe Nikon should hire you as a consultant.

But Steve, haven't you created a work-around by programing the lens Fn button to Recall Shooting functions (auto subject detection), so that you can turn auto detection off and on with one button push? I'm sure you would rather not use Recall Shooting Functions for this, but it does seem to be an eloquent solution. Maybe Nikon should hire you as a consultant.
The more I read this, the more I see the need of a software based quick selection of the 'U' settings top knob on the Z6/Z7 dial (or C1, C2 ... in the OM System).

It would be ideal to set all your aggregated settings on the touch screen, as say [A] [C] [D] etc (later to be reprogrammed using YOUR name - A=Portrait, B=Birds, C= Sports, etc), so by simple touch of [A] ... you could recall any set of settings YOU selected for Portrait)

This would avoid the wear and tear of twisting the dial to U1, U2, U3 Etc. It's instant recall. But it's a dream right now fraught with potential issues - like the nose touching the screen <vbg>.

You can get similar information from this forum and by using Steve Perry's Z9 Set Up ebook.....which is superb when paired with his Secrets to the Nikon Auto Focus Systems - Mirrorless edition.

Members here often share information that comes out of the NPS webinars.

A very large percentage of the NPS members are photographers who make their living using the Nikon products and spend big money for a wide variety of cameras and lenses. Airlines, stores, and other manufactures have programs for those who represent and purchase large amounts of their products.
Indeed, this forum is GREAT, this is were you read about real 'in the field' issues, so you can know you are not alone, and not crazy! Thank you all.

Personally I have never liked BBF, even on DSLR. I try to keep my Z9 setup very simple.
Only 2 custom buttons; 3d on BBF and SD on sub-selector centre press.
I always start on auto area and for what I do (sports, seabirds in flight, shorebirds, feeding honey eaters, forest birds, people) that works a lot of the time. For very fast and erratic flyers I sometimes have to reduce the scan area using one of the WA modes. But I just use the dedicated AF button supplied by Nikon for that (I have big hands).
Maybe I need to shake it up a bit and use more buttons.

I do and it'a waste of the feature. Sony has a simple on/off toggle for it you can program to a button and use their version of RSF for more useful things (mine is set to instantly allow me to switch Tony most common action settings).

Last edited:
Even with subject detection OFF the issue is still there. 3D tracking is meant to track subject its placed on regardless of subject detection for animal or otherwise is ON or OFF, its especeially meant to work with subject detection OFF but it does not. 3D tracking has become a subject tracking AF mode like in previous cameras, its no longer a 3D mode. In version 2, 3D would track whatever it was placed on and still does even in handoff when primary af-on is set to single or dynamic modes - It just does not work when primary focus is in the wide/auto modes.
emphasis mine

emphasis mine
With regards to scenario 2) if subject detection is OFF - 3D still does not lock onto what ever I am pointing at (this may well not be a recognizable subject) however 3D should still lock onto what ever it is when it is placed there as it did in version2.
I don't know the answer to account the difference you report. It's surprising in such situations to hear that 3D works at all for a small subject hidden in branches.... in a Z9 when Subject-Recognition is turned off. A smaller area mode works much more precisely to lock on to the subject - particularly by leveraging CA. Invariably in such situations - with clutter - Good 'Ol single-point mode works best of all, as proofed over many years past.

And I switch banks to a CA of, say, 13*3 for anything that tricks out S-R pattern recognition e.g. which might include some subject that is not an animal that I want to track

This is the strategy I have refined with the Z9 with all firmware's: prior to v2.0 [albeit then limited to WA or SA], then the AF mode bonus (adapted to the Z9 from the D6) that arrived in the 2 Custom Area modes with 2.00, and since with 2.11 and latterly 3.0.

emphasis mine

emphasis mine

I don't know the answer to account the difference you report. It's surprising in such situations to hear that 3D works at all for a small subject hidden in branches.... in a Z9 when Subject-Recognition is turned off. A smaller area mode works much more precisely to lock on to the subject - particularly by leveraging CA. Invariably in such situations - with clutter - Good 'Ol single-point mode works best of all, as proofed over many years past.

And I switch banks to a CA of, say, 13*3 for anything that tricks out S-R pattern recognition e.g. which might include some subject that is not an animal that I want to track

This is the strategy I have refined with the Z9 with all firmware's: prior to v2.0 [albeit then limited to WA or SA], then the AF mode bonus (adapted to the Z9 from the D6) that arrived in the 2 Custom Area modes with 2.00, and since with 2.11 and latterly 3.0.
I can hold down the 3D and it will track anything whilst I move around, whether it be a branch, a football or a small bird. in V3 it does not do that at all it just goes wherever it wants to hunting around for something closer and NOT where I place the point - even if SD is OFF - Its just soooo weird !

I can hold down the 3D and it will track anything whilst I move around, whether it be a branch, a football or a small bird. in V3 it does not do that at all it just goes wherever it wants to hunting around for something closer and NOT where I place the point - even if SD is OFF - Its just soooo weird !
you might try saving setting, resetting and reloading settings.

i notice with subject detection enabled 3d will wander more, trying to pick up a subject, but if i disable subject detection it works much more like before

Back