Z9 Firmware 3.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Question on updating the firmware (2.11 -> 3.0), but I can't remember if all the settings get reset but I'm guessing they do. Does this include copyright info and button setup?
None of your custom settings should get changed. Mine have never changed. However, I recommend saving your settings first just to make sure.

Last night I finish the Z9 book from Steve. Now I need to wait the update of the book @Steve :sneaky:.

For a future firmware update (Wishlist) :
-Add the extra FPS in RAW (25 or 30) this Z9 is more than capable to do that, I don't know why Nikon don't deliver that option. (I know its a little freak from me to ask that extra FPS with 20fps already, but I would had more option to choose in a burst "the perfect" wings position. Also the Sony A1 can do it, and I don t like it that camera has more FPS than the Z9 :ROFLMAO:)

-Zebra Strip in Camara mode. (Like the video but in photo) this will be a winner option when the light change suddenly in the field and you forget to adjust the camera. The Zebra strip in the highlight warnings when you are composing will be a great and faster to just to adjust the Expose compensation or the Speed.

Question on updating the firmware (2.11 -> 3.0), but I can't remember if all the settings get reset but I'm guessing they do. Does this include copyright info and button setup?
Yes, save your settings first. Or use a different card. Instructions say the .bin file should be the only thing on the card or it won’t work, and that it takes 6 min. Worth expanding and reading the list.

Curious what this means - “This also includes the ability to make the Record button programmable.”

Was in the press release.

I am away from the camera and haven’t updated but it caught my eye?

-Add the extra FPS in RAW (25 or 30) this Z9 is more than capable to do that, I don't know why Nikon don't deliver that option. (I know its a little freak from me to ask that extra FPS with 20fps already, but I would had more option to choose in a burst "the perfect" wings position. Also the Sony A1 can do it, and I don t like it that camera has more FPS than the Z9 :ROFLMAO:)
Would also like to see pre-capture in RAW (not just JPEG). But I don't have a Z9 yet so I'm not sure my update wishes count 🤔😆

All of my settings did not get reset but Ihave not checked copy right etc. but so far I have never had that happen with a firmware update.

Curious what this means - “This also includes the ability to make the Record button programmable.”

Was in the press release.

I am away from the camera and haven’t updated but it caught my eye?
The video record button was already customizable. Guess the question is if something new was added that it could control.

It appears that Fn4 could be utilized for a LOT more things - if they would enable it.

Did the update to 3.0 about 1 AM mountain time here in Idaho .. it focused faster on the prints I have on the wall critter eyes ... but no background etc. invovled :) One thing that I did notice in the supplement for firmware 3.0 or anywhere else is in the Nikon announcement etc. is that the new DX Mode only image size selection mode only is available if shooting in jpg or raw + jpg.. All else seemed to be working but no outdoor tests at 1:30 AM :)

UGH! Nikon has changed the column sequence at the top of the Customization chart.....so it's REALLY hard to see what has changed or been added!

Looks like the added the ISO button! ???

I used firmware 3.0 this morning and no doubt in my mind they kicked AF up another nice notch! One quick image..

hbsp102622__0783.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

NIKON Z 9 NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens 800mm f/6.3 1/3200s 1100 ISO -1.3 EV

Last night I finish the Z9 book from Steve. Now I need to wait the update of the book @Steve :sneaky:.

-Zebra Strip in Camara mode. (Like the video but in photo) this will be a winner option when the light change suddenly in the field and you forget to adjust the camera. The Zebra strip in the highlight warnings when you are composing will be a great and faster to just to adjust the Expose compensation or the Speed.
Did you notice the new 60 fps JPEG option with a 20 MB file?

Since you can see the image in advance, settings should be pretty close and reduce the need for RAW. Matt Granger reported the ability to shoot 8 full seconds at 60 fps - that's 480 image in a single burst.

One newbie question. When I will have my Z9 do I need to put all firmware updates in order or the last 3.0v have all in it? Thnx
from the download page:
Time Required to Complete This Update

This update takes approximately 6 minutes. A progress bar will be displayed when the update begins, but when updating from a “C” firmware version earlier than 2.00 you may notice that it takes about 2 minutes for the progress bar to be displayed. Do not turn off the camera until the firmware update is complete.

that seems to imply to me you don't need to do them in order

Back