Z9 Firmware 3.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

interesting thought about the fw being “for something else”. i don’t expect a z9ii this year, but i certainly expect some other cameras this year
I'd be shocked to see a Z9II out so soon. There was essentially a full two years between the Z7 and the Z7II, and that wasn't a flagship camera. I agree with Thom's conclusion that it feels like the Z9 was rushed to market and the firmware updates happening now are getting the body to where it probably should have been on release. I would love to (hopefully?) see Nikon release a high-resolution competitor to the a7R V and mirrorless successor to the D500 before we see a Z9II.

Question: Do we need to re-save custom settings after doing a firmware update?
Karen: I would. Some of the titles of the various settings have changed, albeit just a few of them. You'll discover that if you download the supplemental guide from Nikon- https://download.nikonimglib.com/archive5/GnQ3z00ezJMa05PJKU1699GUMX94/Z9_FU_addendum_(En)05.pdf - that addresses the firmware changes. The reason I would suggest you save your settings after the firmware update is that if you ever recall your save settings (which might be from firmware version 2.X to your Z9 that has firmware 3.X there might be some kind of conflict in the camera software with the names or the detailed choices of the various settings.

Thom Hogan mentioned in a post today that there is a potential problem with "My Menu". You might read that post - https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/whats-happening-with-the-z9.html - look at the third paragraph. After seeing that I went through all of my "My Menu" items to make sure what I had before the firmware update to 3.0 works after the firmware. Sorry to be so wordy here, but thought more info is better than not enough. >> Jim

Karen: I would. Some of the titles of the various settings have changed, albeit just a few of them. You'll discover that if you download the supplemental guide from Nikon- https://download.nikonimglib.com/archive5/GnQ3z00ezJMa05PJKU1699GUMX94/Z9_FU_addendum_(En)05.pdf - that addresses the firmware changes. The reason I would suggest you save your settings after the firmware update is that if you ever recall your save settings (which might be from firmware version 2.X to your Z9 that has firmware 3.X there might be some kind of conflict in the camera software with the names or the detailed choices of the various settings.

Thom Hogan mentioned in a post today that there is a potential problem with "My Menu". You might read that post - https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/whats-happening-with-the-z9.html - look at the third paragraph. After seeing that I went through all of my "My Menu" items to make sure what I had before the firmware update to 3.0 works after the firmware. Sorry to be so wordy here, but thought more info is better than not enough. >> Jim
Thank you so much. I guess re-doing the Save Settings is a very good idea.

I have noticed that I don’t get the same issues with interference from the vertical shutter release on the Z6II as I do on the Z9. The recess for the vertical shutter on the Z6II is a bit deeper and better defined.
I have to be more careful with the Z9 and turn the switch off when I switch back to horizontal, something they could fix on the body for the Z9II, I guess.

I have read a couple that AF-ON set to 3D tracking with the shudder set to AutoAF or Custom WA results in erratic behavior of the 3D. I don’t know any more than what I read. Can anyone confirm this or let us know if its not an issue?

Although in this video posted seems to be Auto AF and not the WA Custom modes. So can anyone test this out with the various WA modes?
I am getting this jumpy behavior in Wide Area small and large. It takes a few moments for the 3D to look on. The handoff to 3D is not smooth and 3D begins to hunt. Still looking through settings to see if anything can be changed to avoid it.

Last edited:
Hey Nikon! Remember the Z6ii and Z7ii? Yoo-hoo! Hey, anyone there? How about some love for the rest of us? Hello? Hello? Nothing?! .......rats!! : (
I am very sceptical about a Z9II from Nikon before they address the middle level enthusiast level camera. Nikon needs to balance their lineup much more than they need to update the Z9.
As for Thom, I read the latest message to the flock from him. I like to read his posts, but also think someone needs to “tell him he’s dreamin” (Sorry, it’s an Australian expression from ‘The Castle’. 🤪😃🤓 when someone appears to be slightly err 😩☹️😆 delusional?).

I went out and shot waterfowl in flight with 3.0 tonight and even in the limited amount of shots that I took, I believe that I saw a noticeable improvement in autofocus, particularly with Wide Area large and 3d tracking. In both modes it seemed like the AF was quicker to detect birds, and stickier once on them. I think the biggest improvement that I saw was it was not picking up the background nearly as much, and in fact was able to pull focus away from the background to an out of focus bird flying in a way I haven't experienced before with the Z9. I'll definitely need to shoot more with it to see if these results hold true though

I have been discovering that the firmware 3.0 update has much more than listed on the website. Pleased to note a toggle for changing between FX and Dx modes. FPS has many more options . the display button /ISO buttons are now assignable etc.. Waiting for Steve to put out the entire list :)

The bug noted where AF-ON is assigned to 3D tracking with AF-ON, causing jumping behavior of the tracking when handed off from the Auto or WA autofocus modes, does not seem to be happening to me if eye detect is on.

Can others please try this and see if their focus is jumpy where AF-ON is assigned to 3D tracking with AF-ON. Then compare with and without eye detect.

I have been discovering that the firmware 3.0 update has much more than listed on the website. Pleased to note a toggle for changing between FX and Dx modes. FPS has many more options . the display button /ISO buttons are now assignable etc.. Waiting for Steve to put out the entire list :)
Yes, all that you mentioned and more is all listed on the supplemental guide that you can see and download from Nikonusa.com.

Upgraded mine last night to 3.0 (after much internal debate about the risks of updating firmware while in the field, as it were). Thankfully, no problems. Took roughly six minutes, as the instructions said. I saved my settings first (I usually keep a settings backup to my laptop anyway, just in case), but none of my settings had any issues after the update.

Took it out this morning to shoot tiny, fast moving native forest birds in Hawaii. Conditions were challenging and these birds are difficult to photograph in general, but the autofocus was performing admirably well considering how much tangled forest I was shooting through and how hard these well-camouflaged birds are to spot.

Good to know.

Can the ISO button be assigned to Aperture and the rear command dial be assigned to ISO? I rarely change aperture from wide open and really wanted my SS on front command dial (as I always do on all my cameras) and ISO on the rear (without having to push an extra button). For the few times I do stop down I'd be happy to push the ISO button and scroll. But having ISO direct on the dial would be a big plus. On my other cameras like A1 and R5 I can run ISO direct on the upper rear dial. Of course on those cameras I have a 3rd wheel so no button is required for any of SS, Aperture or ISO. But I could live without a 3rd wheel on the Z9 if I could have direct ISO on the rear dial.

Good to see that the DISP button can now be used to assign different functions. Most importantly AF-ON + AF Area mode. This was also one of the fw wishlists i had sent over to Brad 😉
Awesome....a day one request I had with the camera also.
Nikon seems to have done a killer job updating this camera. I'm sure if I purchased this again it would feel like a totally different beast than it did when I owned it for 2 weeks when it first came out. If Nikon drops a 600/4 with built-in TC I may have to jump back in!!

Good to see that the DISP button can now be used to assign different functions. Most importantly AF-ON + AF Area mode. This was also one of the fw wishlists i had sent over to Brad 😉
I talked to an NPS rep on the phone about the display button in early January. He said it was a solid idea and he had already heard the suggestion from a couple other people. It seemed to be a glaringly obvious oversight on their part.

I have read a couple that AF-ON set to 3D tracking with the shudder set to AutoAF or Custom WA results in erratic behavior of the 3D. I don’t know any more than what I read. Can anyone confirm this or let us know if its not an issue?

Although in this video posted seems to be Auto AF and not the WA Custom modes. So can anyone test this out with the various WA modes?
Well that bug showed up today on my Z9, didn't get it yesterday when I tried.

Back