Z9 Firmware 3.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Testing the real world impacts of these changes is challenging. Ideally it requires comparing w cameras at least with v3.0 vs V2.11. ain't easy!

These three items too :)
  • Reduced the sensitivity of [3D-tracking] to objects passing between the subject and the camera.
  • Improved focus performance when [Animal] is selected for [AF subject detection options] during [3D-tracking].
  • Reduced the tendency of the camera to focus on the background during subject detection when [Wide-area AF (S/L/C1/C2)], [3D-tracking], or [Auto-area AF] was selected.

I agree fully, I shared Steve's list and thread with local friend in Nikon and will keep beating on doors... My two priorities for Custom options are first and foremost:
1. Toggle subject recognition On/Off

2. Assign metering mode to a Fn button

At least 2 RSF setups/ Custom Bank will be a big bonus :D

Just updated to fw 3.0..was looking forward to better customization options like assigning subject detection to on/off, multiple RSF etc..sadly, not this time...When I read the below release notes, I seriously thought they'd have made some significant changes to custom control assignment:

"Custom Settings f2 [Custom controls (shooting)], f3 [Custom controls (playback)], and g2 [Custom controls] now offer access to an expanded selection of custom roles and controls"

Last edited:
So far my only tweak is to set the DISPLAY button to Playback, where it's so much easier to get at shooting horizontal, which is most of my imaging. The bottom Right Playback button works best actually in Vertical - at least for me.

At least for me, and this Playback change is confined to my 2 Wildlife custom banks, as it's mostly in landscape and macro that I toggle the Display layouts.

Last edited:
At least 2 RSF setups/ Custom Bank will be a big bonus
Great news! There ARE 4 separate RSF (Recall Shooting Function) banks available now via the 4 Custom Settings Banks...!

To set them, you choose a Custom Settings Bank; then go to f2 in controls, and assign RSF to a button; then drill down and set the settings you want for that button/bank.

Do the same for each of the 4 Custom Settings Banks.

A mystery why Nikon doesn't list this as a major new feature with this firmware update... perhaps because they intended it to be that way from the beginning, and this is a bug fix? But not listed in bug fixes either...

...Dave...

P.S. in case it wasn't clear FW 3.0 loaded and is working so far for me (haven't tested it - but multiple RSF banks was one of the first things I looked for). Off to write to Brad Hill since we both really wanted this feature.

Last edited:
Same here, distance was a disappointment in the past, but they really seemed to improve it
It seems to be the case when these releases are made that some declare they make no difference whatsoever and others claim miracles. To be fair, the last big update was more at the miracle end of the spectrum. And I feel there is a lot more to be had via software with the Z9 platform for some to come.

There's a lot to evaluate overall in FW 3.0. this link was shared here yesterday but it's an accessible overview NY Mark Cruz, NPS, Nikon USA, and a gifted lecturer

Also fyi:
"The update is a fairly extensive one and will take some time go through all the changes and verify their veracity and usefulness. This also will postpone my planned update of my book....."

Last edited:
Installed it on my 2 Z9 bodies this am and it worked just fine.
BTW - don't forget to Save your settings before updating the firmware.

AND -- leave your camera alone on a table/bench while it is updating the firmware -- do not mess with it. If the update is corrupted while it is updating you could be in big trouble - just leave the camera alone immediately after you start the update process until the camera turns-off / reboots.

Same for the updated software suite - NX Studio, NX Tether, WTU, 3-D Lut files and CCPro each just took minutes to download and install.
Here is hoping this is not the only "release" from Nikon this week.

Timecode jamming with the Blue One is HUGE for production shooters. As to the rest time will tell as folk test and use the new features.
I have downloaded the update and the Z9 seems happy enough so far. I will be out testing it soon. I would however be much much happier if Nikon decided to drop an update for my second camera, the ever reliable Z6II. It seems to me that an update to the Z6II is more than a little overdue.

I have downloaded the update and the Z9 seems happy enough so far. I will be out testing it soon. I would however be much much happier if Nikon decided to drop an update for my second camera, the ever reliable Z6II. It seems to me that an update to the Z6II is more than a little overdue.
Agreed, We have had an update recently for the Z50/Z6/Z7 and now the Z9. Lets hope the Z6II and Z7II will get an update soon.

Upgraded to firmware 3.0 and when complete I did not need to turn off the camera like I normally do. Seems a handy improvement in the upgrade process.
Um not sure that's a good thing. For me, the update process went as before, and told me to turn the camera off. Are you sure it completed the update process successfully? (not sure how to test that, but keep an eye out ;)

...Dave...

Upgraded to firmware 3.0 and when complete I did not need to turn off the camera like I normally do. Seems a handy improvement in the upgrade process.
Mine didn’t ask me to turn off, either; the progress bar went away and it returned view to the LCD. I still turned it off, removed the card, turned it back on and checked the firmware version (it stated 3.0) and the predicted menu updates were visible. I am assuming everything went as planned; I’d be interested to hear if this was the case for anyone else. I’ve only had my Z9 9 days; still familiarizing myself with it.

Mine didn’t ask me to turn off, either; the progress bar went away and it returned view to the LCD. I still turned it off, removed the card, turned it back on and checked the firmware version (it stated 3.0) and the predicted menu updates were visible. I am assuming everything went as planned; I’d be interested to hear if this was the case for anyone else. I’ve only had my Z9 9 days; still familiarizing myself with it.
Same here as CoachJohn. At about the 5 min. 45 sec. mark I heard what sounded like the sensor shield close (lens was on) and back LCD screen went black. After sitting that way for a minute or two, I shut the camera off and then did the rest of the jazz to verify with expected results. I haven't tried it in the field yet.

I have read a couple that AF-ON set to 3D tracking with the shudder set to AutoAF or Custom WA results in erratic behavior of the 3D. I don’t know any more than what I read. Can anyone confirm this or let us know if its not an issue?

Although in this video posted seems to be Auto AF and not the WA Custom modes. So can anyone test this out with the various WA modes?

Last edited:
I have read a couple that AF-ON set to 3D tracking with the shudder set to AutoAF or Custom WA results in erratic behavior of the 3D. I don’t know any more than what I read. Can anyone confirm this or let us know if its not an issue?

Although in this video posted seems to be Auto AF and not the WA Custom modes. So can anyone test this out with the various WA modes?
Just tried it for you and works fine! Used Z9 and 400/2.8TC

Make sure your hand or whatever you are resting on isnt hitting the vertical shutter release

Back