Z9 Firmware 3.0 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Maybe use the DISP button for RSF/Hold for Subj Detect On or Off! What do you think? (I like Steve's use of the Video button for selecting AF Area Mode....)
Exactly what I did - programmed DISP button to RSF and reprogrammed FN 4 to metering. But waiting to hear Steve‘s recommendation.

NPS (US) is planning a program on November 10 to review firmware 3.0 updates. It will be led by Mark Cruz. More information to follow for NPS members. Like other NPS programs, this program will not be recorded or available on YouTube.
Will it be available to us non-NPS types?

Testing the real world impacts of these changes is challenging. Ideally it requires comparing w cameras at least with v3.0 vs V2.11. ain't easy!

I agree fully, I shared Steve's list and thread with local friend in Nikon and will keep beating on doors... My two priorities for Custom options are first and foremost:
1. Toggle subject recognition On/Off

2. Assign metering mode to a Fn button

At least 2 RSF setups/ Custom Bank will be a big bonus :D
You can now assign assign metering mode to Fn button. I’ve assigned metering mode to Fn 3.

Did you notice the new 60 fps JPEG option with a 20 MB file?

Since you can see the image in advance, settings should be pretty close and reduce the need for RAW. Matt Granger reported the ability to shoot 8 full seconds at 60 fps - that's 480 image in a single burst.
But, doesn’t shooting JPEG still significantly reduce/limit what can be done in post?

I noticed that the "Full Format" feature only works on CFexpress B cards, not for XQD cards. Double checked this with a couple different cards. I rechecked the supplemental manual and sure enough, it only refers to compatible CF cards - no mention of XQD. I missed that on my first read through of the supplemental manual.

No big deal for me, as I don't use my XQD cards in my Z9, but thought I'd mention it for those that do.

I noticed that the "Full Format" feature only works on CFexpress B cards, not for XQD cards. Double checked this with a couple different cards. I rechecked the supplemental manual and sure enough, it only refers to compatible CF cards - no mention of XQD. I missed that on my first read through of the supplemental manual.

No big deal for me, as I don't use my XQD cards in my Z9, but thought I'd mention it for those that do.
i also noticed it's very fast for a full format. my format of a 650gb delkin black didn't take super long. i wonder what exactly it did since it seems too fast to actually write every block on the card. :unsure:

I am happy based on my testing that the AF is slightly better than before and certainly there are no bugs that I can see.

I acquired a Stove Pigeon and then 3-d tracked this pigeon as it wondered around my front lawn and behind bushes/flower etc...

My settings are:
  • Shutter Button -- AF_on and C1 area with auto tracking enabled
  • AF-ON Button - 3-D tracking with AF_ON
  • Fn 1 - single point with AF-ON
When the subject was in the open - the camera had no issues finding and locking on to the subject using C1 Area and switching to 3-D tracking.
For some cases when the bird had moved behind was surrounded by branches etc needed me to use Single point to lock focus on the subject and then switch to 3-D tracking which held focus until the bird completely disappeared - the camera stuck with the focus -- a3 block response was set to 3 and Erratic.

When using 3-D tracking the camera focus was stable even when the subject turned around and moved away. Sure a couple of times focus was lost when the bird spent some time behind a post or thick branch, but almost instantly required via my use of Fn1 when the bird's head moved clear.
Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 17.13.41-WM.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 17.13.26-WM.jpg

Just saw this on the Nikon site.

Z9 Firmware 3.0 Update

Note: The changes listed below under “Still Photography”, “Video Recording”, “Displays”, “Playback”, “Controls”, and “Network” are detailed in the Supplementary Firmware Update Manual.

■ Still Photography
  • • The [Image size] item in the photo shooting menu is now [Image size settings] and offers new options that apply only to pictures taken using the DX image area.
  • • Added [C60] to the frame rates available for high-speed frame capture. Custom Setting d4 in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] is now [Pre-Release Capture options].
  • • Added [High-frequency flicker reduction] to the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU].
  • • Added [Focus position auto reset] under [Focus shift shooting] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU].
■ Video Recording
  • • Added [High-frequency flicker reduction] to the [VIDEO RECORDING MENU].
  • • Added [Hi-Res Zoom] to the [VIDEO RECORDING MENU].
  • • Added [Reset using remote] under [Timecode] in the [VIDEO RECORDING MENU].
■ Displays
  • • The [Prioritize viewfinder] monitor mode has been replaced by [Prioritize viewfinder (1)] and [Prioritize viewfinder (2)].
  • • Expanded the range of monitor brightness options to include both brighter and darker settings.
  • • Made the following additions to the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU]:
    • - Added a [3D-tracking focus point color] option for Custom Setting a11 [Focus point display].
    • - Added [Always] and [Only when flash is not used] options for Custom Setting d9 [View mode (photo Lv)] > [Show effects of settings].
■ Playback
  • • The [Rotate tall] item in the playback menu is now [Auto-rotate pictures]. If [ON] is selected, the playback displays in the monitor and viewfinder will rotate automatically to match camera orientation.
  • • The playback display now shows the color temperature for pictures taken with [Preset manual] selected for [White balance].
  • • Options are now available for handling as a group each series of photographs taken in continuous-release modes.
  • • Added [File info] to the options available under [Playback display options] in the [PLAYBACK MENU].
■ Controls
  • • Added a full-format option under [Format memory card] in the [SETUP MENU] for use with compatible CFexpress memory cards.
  • • Made the following additions to the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU]:
    • - Added a [Type A auto restore delay] option for Custom Setting d14 [Release timing indicator].
    • - Added [Center-weighted area] to the items available for customizing shooting displays using Custom Settings d18 [Custom monitor shooting display] and d19 [Custom viewfinder shooting display].
    • - Custom Settings f2 [Custom controls (shooting)], f3 [Custom controls (playback)], and g2 [Custom controls] now offer access to an expanded selection of custom roles and controls.
■ Network
  • • Connection status is now shown in the shooting display when the camera is connected to an FTP server.
  • • The camera now supports FTPS.
  • • Added an [ATOMOS AirGlu BT options] item to the [NETWORK MENU].
■ Other Changes
  • • Improved autofocus accuracy.
  • • Improved low-light autofocus performance, lowering the minimum level of illumination required by 0.5 EV.
  • • Reduced the sensitivity of [3D-tracking] to objects passing between the subject and the camera.
  • • Improved focus performance when [Animal] is selected for [AF subject detection options] during [3D-tracking].
  • • Reduced the tendency of the camera to focus on the background during subject detection when [Wide-area AF (S/L/C1/C2)], [3D-tracking], or [Auto-area AF] was selected.
  • • Focus peaking, electronic rangefinding, and the focus distance indicator are now available when focus is adjusted using the lens focus ring, not only in manual focus mode but in other focus modes as well. In addition, adjustments have been made to the length of time the focus distance indicator is displayed.
  • • Shutter speed, aperture, and ISO sensitivity will now be displayed if exposure is adjusted while the live view display is zoomed in.
  • • Improved manual focus response in video mode and when silent mode is selected during still photography.
  • • The shooting display now shows synchronized release connection status. Improvements have also been made to the display in the remote camera list accessed via [Connect to other cameras] > [Remote camera list] in the [NETWORK MENU].
  • • [Português (PT)] has been added to the languages available via the [Language] item in the [SETUP MENU] for Z 9 cameras sold in Canada and the United States.
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    • - If (a) AF-S was selected for focus mode, (b) an AF-area mode that supported subject detection was selected via a control to which [AF-area mode + AF-ON] had been assigned using Custom Setting f2 [Custom controls (shooting)], and (c) an option other than [Subject detection off] was selected for [AF subject detection options] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU], then pressing the custom control would sometimes fail to activate subject detection.
    • - If (a) 3D-tracking was selected for AF-area mode, (b) an option other than [Subject detection off] was selected for [AF subject detection options] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU], and (c) the shooting settings recalled via a control to which [Recall shooting functions] or [Recall shooting functions (hold)] was assigned using Custom Setting f2 [Custom controls (shooting)] had [3D-tracking] selected for [AF-area mode] and [Subject detection off] chosen for [AF subject detection options], then subject detection would continue during AF-ON after the custom control was pressed.
    • - If (a) AF-C was selected for focus mode, (b) an option other than [3D-tracking] was selected for AF-area mode, (c) an option other than [Subject detection off] was selected for [AF subject detection options] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU], and (d) the shooting settings recalled via a control to which [Recall shooting functions] or [Recall shooting functions (hold)] was assigned using Custom Setting f2 [Custom controls (shooting)] had [3D-tracking] selected for [AF-area mode], then subject detection would not be performed where expected when AF-ON was initiated via the custom control.
    • - Shutter speeds of 1/320 s to 1/640 s would produce uneven exposure across the frame in pictures taken with SB‑800 flash units using auto FP high-speed sync.
    • - Choosing a different Custom Settings bank in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] after selecting a non-default setting for [Auto bracketing] > [Increment] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU] would cause the value for [Auto bracketing] > [Increment] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU] to revert to 1.
    • - Shooting information would in rare circumstances disappear from the viewfinder.
    • - Attempting to record 8K video with a NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4S lens attached and an option other than [Off] selected for [Vibration reduction] in the [VIDEO RECORDING MENU] would sometimes cause the camera to stop responding.
    • - Tracking small or low-contrast subjects against a solid-color background such as a blue sky would sometimes cause the focus area to move to the top of the display.
    • - Selecting [C30] or [C120] for release mode when an option other than [Off] was chosen for [Active D-Lighting] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU] would cause monitor or viewfinder brightness to change.
    • - The camera would in rare circumstances fail to record 8K video correctly.
    • - In video mode, the camera would fail to increase the aperture (lower the f/-number) after reaching the upper limit for ISO sensitivity in modes P and S if the value selected for [ISO sensitivity settings] > [Maximum sensitivity] in the [VIDEO RECORDING MENU] was below [12800].
Mandarin duck male in flight.jpg
I have tested the improved AF, and I would have to say...WOW! It is a gigantic improvement, especially with 3D tracking. I was out shooting Mandarin Ducks when I noticed a black spec at least 1/2 mile away high in the sky. I pressed my 3D tracing button and it locked on. It followed the spec until it got closer, never losing lock on. When it finally got about 1/4 mile away, I realized it was a Bald Eagle. The tracking never lost focus on it! That is the first time 3D tracking worked that well for me. Then the Mandarin Duck took off with some Mallards. AF tracking stayed on the Mandarin for the several seconds I focused on it. I'd say that is a wonderful improvement! My Flickr

Last edited:
You can now assign assign metering mode to Fn button. I’ve assigned metering mode to Fn 3.
We've been able to assign the Metering Mode menu to a Fn button since v2.0 if not earlier on the Z9. It's on the Audio button on my Z9.

Sorry I should have been more specific, above. It's been very useful to have Spot Metering Mode on Pv or Fn1 for backlit subjects with the D500, D850, D5 etc, including the D780 and Z7.

Nikon removed the custom option to assign a Metering Mode to a Fn* button in the D6. And the Z9 has the same problem.

There seems to be quite a wide spectrum in the anecdotal first impressions of v3.00. Aside from that variability, would you expect the impact of firmware upgrade to be different for different lenses? i.e. In a controlled lab setting, would the changes be expected to be more pronounced on a Z mount PF 800mm (that I have on order) vs a F mount 200-500mm zoom (my current lens)? I am asking more because of the capabilities of the former vs Nikon tuning its algorithms for Z mount primes.

EDIT -

Andy and Marty great to see that in real life the 3D is working well. Note the problem with the firmware occurs when a subject EYE is not detected or when eye detection is turned off. It doesn't happen if 3D is first engaged. It happens when there is a handoff from modes other than dynamic. Handoff meaning A7 - Focus Point Persistence - is set to Auto.

So my question is if a WA mode doesn't detect an eye, will it still be able to track. Thats my concern when going from one mode to 3D.

Last edited:
EDIT -

Andy and Marty great to see that in real life the 3D is working well. Note the problem with the firmware occurs when a subject EYE is not detected or when eye detection is turned off. It doesn't happen if 3D is first engaged. It happens when there is a handoff from modes other than dynamic. Handoff meaning A7 - Focus Point Persistence - is set to Auto.

So my question is if a WA mode doesn't detect an eye, will it still be able to track. Thats my concern when going from one mode to 3D.

I wish I could say I have tested it! I am a long ways away from my Z9, I had time to update the firmware and that is about it. Thanks to the others who have tested!

Thom posted a few thoughts about people experiencing af weirdness https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/
Hmmm I like his method - Have to test it out. When he asks "which brings into play what does the camera think you want it to do (e.g. change focus to the shutter release again?). " Page 13 the Nikon Z9 Guide to sports seems to suggest you need to continue half-press of the shutter. However since others have used the hybrid focus successfully who knows. I am going to try his method.

Shutter is Shutter only.
AF-ON initiates main focus mode.
Ln2 activates 3D.

Thanks for posting this John.

His explanation makes sense, at least in my experience, namely how 3D tracking fails.

The DSLR AF-ON+AF-area mode construct/custom-setting is one of Nikon's best ideas to leverage the diversity as swiftly as possible, and with BBAF. Two or more of these settings are key to make these modern Autofocus systems so much more efficient.

Building this solution into the ZAF system was long overdue. Otherwise it's basically impossible to leverage the abilities designed into the camera's complex AF.

At any symptom of 3D tracking losing the subject, I hit AF-ON+CA, which is either 3x5 or 1x1. I often focus with a much tighter CA Mode first if the subject looks challenging; and I often decide whether to toggle off Subject Recognition.

Thom posted a few thoughts about people experiencing af weirdness https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/

Last edited:
Hmmm I like his method - Have to test it out. When he asks "which brings into play what does the camera think you want it to do (e.g. change focus to the shutter release again?). " Page 13 the Nikon Z9 Guide to sports seems to suggest you need to continue half-press of the shutter. However since others have used the hybrid focus successfully who knows. I am going to try his method.

Shutter is Shutter only.
AF-ON initiates main focus mode.
Ln2 activates 3D.

Thanks for posting this John.
Steve lays out a very logical set up of the buttons in his Z9 Set Up eBook. Great as a baseline to then tailor to your specific needs.

I have my Z9 set up very similar to my previous D5/D850. FWIW......

Shutter = shutter
AF-ON = AF-On
Fn1 and fn3 (for vertical shooting) = 3D
Fn2 = Single point or Dyn Sm

Video = Select AF Area/AF mode by turning dial (Command dial roles reversed via F2 so that main dial changes AF area mode and sub dial (front) changes AF-S, AF-C, M)

Lens Fn and DISP = RSF Hold / Subj detect on or off
Audio button = Metering

Back