Nikon 180-600mm lens ship date

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering my store got 0 lenses, and isn't exactly the smallest shop (nor the biggest), it's rather obvious that (at least in the US) they don't have near enough lenses.

I'd rather have a lens in my hand too, but given the lack of supply (because nikon couldn't do any actual market research here, apparently), I'll be waiting for a few more months potentially. It'll likely be exactly 4 years from road map to when I get one, which is also pretty ridiculous.

Considering my store got 0 lenses, and isn't exactly the smallest shop (nor the biggest), it's rather obvious that (at least in the US) they don't have near enough lenses.
As my serial number is above 25,000 it seems reasonable to assume more than 4,000 were sent to Nikon USA.

This is probably more than for any previous Z lens.

As my serial number is above 25,000 it seems reasonable to assume more than 4,000 were sent to Nikon USA.

This is probably more than for any previous Z lens.
And still not every store got them.

So... Yeah. There's a problem there. But at this point it's beating a dead horse. If they didn't figure out demand was going to be high, despite all signs to the contrary, someone needs to get fired for incompetence.

It's difficult for me to understand why some potential buyers get so irrationally angry about things like this. As someone who has been both in the front of the line and the back of the line when it comes to purchasing gear, I've learned to take it all in stride.
While it might be great to be in the front of the line so you can show off your new toy to friends, publish an unboxing video that has a shelf-life of 48 hours, and be the first to post mediocre to lousy photos to get the dopamine rush of likes, being first comes with problems. I have had too many bodies and lenses that have had to go back to Nikon because I received my NPS order ahead of others. I use my gear professionally to fuel article sales, image sales, and one-on-one workshops. When I have to send gear back for repair, I lose both time and money.
For my part, I ordered 10 days after release because I was unsure about wanting/needing the lens... I am still unsure and may decide to pass on it still.
As for market research, I am certain that Nikon has done it. I am also certain that they know that, like the Z8, demand for the 180-600 very high. The realities of production capacities and global demand (yes... people do live outside of the US) limit the number of units that can be sent to any one location.

So to the angry people out there... put on your patience pants, you will probably get your lens by the end of September or early October.

time to get out an make some pictures,
bruce

edited to be less vitriolic... apologies if I ruffled some feathers ☮️

Last edited:
I feel for those that are not receiving this lens in the first shipment.

I am both fortunate and unfortunate! I received shipping notification yesterday afternoon, so most likely I will not have the lens until Monday. NPS. Ordered from Nikon on 6-21 at 08:48am MST.

I had total knee replacement August 14, which is healing as well as can be expected. Unfortunately I had a small cut prior to knee surgery on my right dominant hand that somehow became infected and so far I have had two surgeries trying to get this infection under control. I am thankful that so far this infection does not seem to have migrated to the new knee.

Fortunately, my wife who finally got her Z8 after two failed attempts should be able to use and test the lens until my hand is no longer wrapped up like a baseball.:)

just arrived !
IMG_20230901_145325.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

So to the angry whiners out there... put on your patience pants, you will probably get your lens by the end of September or early October.

time to get out an make some pictures,
bruce
While angry whiners is a bit harsh, I'm looking on the bright side. Maybe by the time I get mine, Hejnar, Kirk (or others) will have Arca Swiss plates or replacement feet for it. I won't have to try to find something to use.

And still not every store got them.
For good reason, no doubt.

People have been getting them from my local store as of Wednesday this week.
As with our little shop here in town as of yesterday.

We're all free to draw whatever conclusions/have whatever opinions make us feel good. But we do so with limited information. All consumer products companies drive inventory where it make them the most money, i.e. to volume distributors. Plus there are other aspects of business relationships that we have no line of sight on e.g. who pays their bills promptly, etc. Trying to put together a puzzle with half the pieces missing and not knowing what it is supposed to look like is a fool's errand.

I ordered mine at 4:30AM EST the day of release and have NPS priority and have not received ship notice yet. Received email yesterday that it was being prepared. I was hoping that ordering it direct from Nikon would help get it faster but I guess that isn't the case. Wondering if anyone that ordered it direct from Nikon has gotten a ship notice yet.

I ordered mine at 4:30AM EST the day of release and have NPS priority and have not received ship notice yet. Received email yesterday that it was being prepared. I was hoping that ordering it direct from Nikon would help get it faster but I guess that isn't the case. Wondering if anyone that ordered it direct from Nikon has gotten a ship notice yet.
Mine says processing since yesterday. I ordered on the 21st thru NPS.

My UPS tracking # says I will not receive it until Wednesday even though I was notified 8-31 via email. Even with the holiday Monday I would think it should be here Tuesday with two day shipping. Oh well at least it is on the way! :)

My UPS tracking # says I will not receive it until Wednesday even though I was notified 8-31 via email. Even with the holiday Monday I would think it should be here Tuesday with two day shipping. Oh well at least it is on the way! :)
I spoke too soon. Got my UPS shipping tonight as well. Mine will also arrive on Wednesday. I was hoping to get it for this weekend but hey still faster than many so I guess I shouldn't complain.

I order direct from NikonUSA with NPS priority and received my lens today.

Let’s hear some feedback, what is it missing IQ wise because it’s not an S?
I look at this theoretical issue the other way round.

How much better IQ has it got than previous generation lenses did not have? :)

Build wise it does not have a Kensington lock and only one row of lens fn buttons - but I think it gives my 400 f4.5 a good run for build quality.
Whether the quick release collar as distinct from the quick release foot than the type on the 70 – 200 S will be better - time will tell.

Some test sites indicate a lens like the 8 times more expensive 400 f2.8 S has the best IQ available from any focal length, with the 9 times more expensive 600 S being not far behind.

I have yet to finish my initial usage of the 180-800; yet gain the impression it is capable of enough IQ to make a high quality A2 print with fine detail suitable for viewing from 15 inches (y)

Turning your question round, asking how little IQ do you lose having regard to the huge price saving might IMO be more relevant.

If you can afford and choose only to use "the best of the best" then paying an extra $25,000 to carry the two fast (so far) 400 and 600 primes weighing an extra 10 pounds is a physical challenge, though you can shoot action more easily in lower light, maybe even make a good A1 print at 15 inch viewing distance - and you do not need to consider buying a separate 1.4 TC.

As Sony 200-600 users have known for some time optical development has progressed at a fast rate in this lens range, you get a lot more IQ for your money than 5-10 years ago - and now in the second year of my ninth decade - I can still easily carry the 180-600 on a Z8 or Z9.

A downside - my wife has been working out what percentage of the 180-600 price will buy her a pair of new shoes.

I look at this theoretical issue the other way round.

How much better IQ has it got than previous generation lenses did not have? :)

Build wise it does not have a Kensington lock and only one row of lens fn buttons - but I think it gives my 400 f4.5 a good run for build quality.
Whether the quick release collar as distinct from the quick release foot than the type on the 70 – 200 S will be better - time will tell.

Some test sites indicate a lens like the 8 times more expensive 400 f2.8 S has the best IQ available from any focal length, with the 9 times more expensive 600 S being not far behind.

I have yet to finish my initial usage of the 180-800; yet gain the impression it is capable of enough IQ to make a high quality A2 print with fine detail suitable for viewing from 15 inches (y)

Turning your question round, asking how little IQ do you lose having regard to the huge price saving might IMO be more relevant.

If you can afford and choose only to use "the best of the best" then paying an extra $25,000 to carry the two fast (so far) 400 and 600 primes weighing an extra 10 pounds is a physical challenge, though you can shoot action more easily in lower light, maybe even make a good A1 print at 15 inch viewing distance - and you do not need to consider buying a separate 1.4 TC.

As Sony 200-600 users have known for some time optical development has progressed at a fast rate in this lens range, you get a lot more IQ for your money than 5-10 years ago - and now in the second year of my ninth decade - I can still easily carry the 180-600 on a Z8 or Z9.

A downside - my wife has been working out what percentage of the 180-600 price will buy her a pair of new shoes.
I agree with your thought process - Thanks Len.
So sorry about the wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back