Nikon Z9 - Firmware 5.0

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Have Cycle AF-area mode assigned to video record button. Have Auto-area AF selected as one of my focus modes. However, it does not appear when cycling. Goes right past it as if it wasn't selected. Works fine on my z8.
You have to have it on in both the cycle menu AND under Custom Settings > Focus > Limit AF Area Mode Selection.

Have you tried changing d9 Live mode? <Show effects of settings> <Only when flash is not used> I then just toggle Flash mode ON in the Photo Shooting Menu whenever I'm working with flash.
It will not change how the physical aperture works while focusing. Say I'm shooting in studio at ISO64 f8 1/160s. Maximum aperture of f5.6 is used for focusing. With DSLR and optical viewfinder there was no issues since lens was (usually) wide open. With mirrorless cameras, EVF image may get noisy because the lens is stepped down to or near shooting aperture all the time.

Last edited:
I am curious about that high ISO noise reduction: the word from the French dude was: check it out, it is significant.
I tested it quickly this morning on identical static subject at 25,600 and could see no difference at all. I have not found any description from Nikon other than In Type B "In this option, the noise appears differently from the conventional mode."

Anybody know what that means ie. how it appeard differently ???

Updated both of mine and neither one changed the mode from manual to P. I did both bodies without lenses/FTZ adapters.
Odd curiosity ... I had lenses attached and it went to P had to go change in each of the 3 banks I have set up. Just cuious what happened when you attached a lens.

Something to keep in mind immediately following the update.

“Note: The shooting modes in all shooting banks “A” through “D” are set to P right after the firmware is updated.”
I know what shooting banks A - D are, but what does P translate to in whole words? I feel like I should know, but I am unable to come up with a word...

I am trying to understand exactly what changes have been made to the video shooting banks and how they are used. Not really sure what changes I am supposed to see.

Can anyone verify if they see the shooting and video banks no longer linked.

Nikon USA website states on the Z9 FW 5.0 promo page

Separate shooting banks for video.

Now you can store your favorite video recording menu settings in their own shooting banks, totally separate from your photography settings. Recall resolution and frame rate combinations, RAW settings, file types and more in an instant.

For each shooting bank there where always still and video settings but it was not possible to use different banks for stills and video. If you switched to Bank B then you were in Bank B everywhere. The above implies that there is the ability to be in one bank for stills and a different bank for video.

The list of enhancements states - and the firmware supplement manual says basically the same thing
Shooting modes now can be selected in photo and video mode individually.
Note: The shooting modes in all shooting banks “A” through “D” are set to P right after the firmware is updated.

The above simply implies that I can be in one shooting mode (A, P, S, or M) in stills and a different shooting mode in video. To be honest I shoot in M in both modes so I can't say how this worked in prior versions. It does appear that I can be in Mode A in stills and Mode P in video if I want to, so I can be in a different shooting modes for still and video.

No sure what I should be seeing and what enhancements to video banks were made.

i tried it out with iphone and it works.. sorta. you can connect and it’s all fine, but if you disconnect it doesn’t like to reconnect. 🤔
You inspired me, in the middle of my espresso, to turn my camera on and turn off airplane mode. Opened snap bridge and boom, connected in an instant. I don't see this working in a hotel room though as you can't really just enter a SSID and PW.

In FW 5.0 we now have WiFi STA mode but I have not been able to get it working in SB on my iPhone. Before you ask, yes I did read the manual and I know both are on the same network, signal is great etc. etc. (I'm a long time IT guy). What I'm seeing is that the camera will only appear fleetingly as a selectable device in SnapBridge and that's on rare occasions. The camera never completes the connection process when tapped in the app. This is not by any means an urgent problem I'm just one of those people that gets crazy when I can't get something to work. Has anyone else seen this or discovered some trick or obscure setting? I've tried both the 2.4 and 5.0 GhZ bands, the camera joins the network and both phone and camera are visible in the router. Reinstalled SnapBridge etc. This is driving me nuts.

I am trying to understand exactly what changes have been made to the video shooting banks and how they are used. Not really sure what changes I am supposed to see.

Can anyone verify if they see the shooting and video banks no longer linked.

Nikon USA website states on the Z9 FW 5.0 promo page

Separate shooting banks for video.

Now you can store your favorite video recording menu settings in their own shooting banks, totally separate from your photography settings. Recall resolution and frame rate combinations, RAW settings, file types and more in an instant.

For each shooting bank there where always still and video settings but it was not possible to use different banks for stills and video. If you switched to Bank B then you were in Bank B everywhere. The above implies that there is the ability to be in one bank for stills and a different bank for video.

The list of enhancements states - and the firmware supplement manual says basically the same thing
Shooting modes now can be selected in photo and video mode individually.
Note: The shooting modes in all shooting banks “A” through “D” are set to P right after the firmware is updated.

The above simply implies that I can be in one shooting mode (A, P, S, or M) in stills and a different shooting mode in video. To be honest I shoot in M in both modes so I can't say how this worked in prior versions. It does appear that I can be in Mode A in stills and Mode P in video if I want to, so I can be in a different shooting modes for still and video.

No sure what I should be seeing and what enhancements to video banks were made.

This is puzzled me, and I think both Nikon USA and Nikon UK have not been fully briefed, as the release notes dont make a specific reference to separate banks, it does, however, make reference to the mode in each bank, which does work.

Hope someone can shed some light on this?

This is puzzled me, and I think both Nikon USA and Nikon UK have not been fully briefed, as the release notes dont make a specific reference to separate banks, it does, however, make reference to the mode in each bank, which does work.

yes they are no longer linked ... I had changed my 3 still shooting banks back form P to M yesterday. When I went to video the banks were all still in P ... and they performed like I would expect in P when I shot a short video. I changed them back to M but nothing else and they performed as they did before FW 5.0 which is more to my liking than P

In the Ricci video at about 3:30 he also states that the banks are no longer linked.

yes they are no longer linked ... I had changed my 3 still shooting banks back form P to M yesterday. When I went to video the banks were all still in P ... and they performed like I would expect in P when I shot a short video. I changed them back to M but nothing else and they performed as they did before FW 5.0 which is more to my liking than P

From what I can tell the shooting modes are no longer linked but it appears that the banks are still linked. If I am in shooting bank A then I am in shooting bank A for both stills and video. I cannot be in shooting bank A for stills and shooting bank B for video.

From what I can tell the shooting modes are no longer linked but it appears that the banks are still linked. If I am in shooting bank A then I am in shooting bank A for both stills and video. I cannot be in shooting bank A for stills and shooting bank B for video.

That's my take on it, but others seem to have got the wrong end of the stick and think you can have a mix. Being able to alter the mode is pretty handy for me.

I find the same linkage on bank selection, switching between stills and video. In two minds on the current design. On one hand, these should operate independently; although the current design has advantages eg switching between stills<>video when shooting action scenes - as I do.

Not having another Z9 still in v4.1, I cannot compare the menus directly. Nevertheless, there's a dedicated AutoCapture menu under the Video settings, which I don't recall previously.

Back