Sony a1 2.0 firmware finally out

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’ve been out for a half hour with mine this morning so far and already noticing a problem whenever you go to take a shot the screen blacks out momentarily then picks back up again no matter what mode you have it in and it’s super annoying
Check your "Shoot Start Display" setting in the 7th yellow menu. It should be set to OFF. Also check that Auto Review is Off in that same menu.

Check your "Shoot Start Display" setting in the 7th yellow menu. It should be set to OFF. Also check that Auto Review is Off in that same menu.
Spot on man, it was set to on that corrected the problem. Maybe you have some advice for another problem. I’ve had to pull the battery out of the camera twice to shut it down lol

Spot on man, it was set to on that corrected the problem. Maybe you have some advice for another problem. I’ve had to pull the battery out of the camera twice to shut it down lol
Don't know about that one...hope that isn't a consistent thing. Haven't shot mine yet. Sunrise not for another hour out west here.

Don't know about that one...hope that isn't a consistent thing. Haven't shot mine yet. Sunrise not for another hour out west here.
This was something that happened with the first firmware on the A7rv which I experienced a few times, but never on the A1. I am just leaving it on for now, but I had to physically pull the battery out twice earlier to get it to shut down. On that shot result preview I have that programmed to c1 on top because I use flash a lot for macro photography and whenever I entered that yesterday I hit toggle instead of hold so I had turned that on accidentally.

I just want to preface what I’m going to say by stating I don’t claim to be a Sony camera expert, but I have shot with the A1 for well over two years now 5 to 7 days a week 3 to 4 hours at a time. Having stated that, I do consider myself very familiar and proficient with the camera. I’ve had four issues this morning after loading 2.0 software. The first one with the LCD and viewfinder blacking out was my fault because I had said my shot result preview to Toggle instead of hold, the next issue is I’ve had to remove the battery three times to power the camera down, my 600 G master lens has completely quit focusing twice and thirdly, It is my opinion. The auto focus has taken a hit and seems more sluggish. I have absolutely no explanation for why the lens stopped focusing but I literally had to power the camera down twice in order to get it to takeoff again. I have taken about 1100 images this morning and I definitely feel like the auto focus has suffered from this update.

- Can you check the firmware version of your camera please
- Didi you change a parameter related to the front and rear dials ? (My Dial Settings, AV/TV rotate,... for example) ?
- In post #85, you mention "When the Camera is in position "A" I can no longer use the toggle dials to change shutter speed or Aperture"... In A position, front and rear dials both adjust the Aperture (Not the Speed as you're in A mode)
- Are you in Auto ISO ? If yes, in A position, the speed will change only if you reach the limit of ISO you've selected for Auto ISO parameters (top limit or bottom limit)
- Here with 24*70GMII, it works normally (As far as I can see)

I just want to preface what I’m going to say by stating I don’t claim to be a Sony camera expert, but I have shot with the A1 for well over two years now 5 to 7 days a week 3 to 4 hours at a time. Having stated that, I do consider myself very familiar and proficient with the camera. I’ve had four issues this morning after loading 2.0 software. The first one with the LCD and viewfinder blacking out was my fault because I had said my shot result preview to Toggle instead of hold, the next issue is I’ve had to remove the battery three times to power the camera down, my 600 G master lens has completely quit focusing twice and thirdly, It is my opinion. The auto focus has taken a hit and seems more sluggish. I have absolutely no explanation for why the lens stopped focusing but I literally had to power the camera down twice in order to get it to takeoff again. I have taken about 1100 images this morning and I definitely feel like the auto focus has suffered from this update.

I have a question, does anyone have a .dmg update file that I can download? Sony has removed the update from their web and I would like to try using my Mac instead of windowed PC. Perhaps I can push the upgrade again and get some of my problems resolved, otherwise I am dead in the water.

Thanks 👍

Glad I didn’t have time to do an update. Looks like my a1’s will stay with 1.32.

I have a question, does anyone have a .dmg update file that I can download? Sony has removed the update from their web and I would like to try using my Mac instead of windowed PC. Perhaps I can push the upgrade again and get some of my problems resolved, otherwise I am dead in the water.

Thanks 👍

I will look once I get home because I do use Mac and if I have it, I can try sending it to you

Mine I got as a Birthday Present last week, shutter count 4.
Man that really stinks. I sort of know the feeling cause I’m pretty disgusted right now. I actually changed the lens over to my second body while out because I got so aggravated with it. I just hope and pray that the fix doesn’t require wiping the camera again and entering all the custom settings because that whole process took me a little over three hours and almost an hour of it was letting the software upload.

Thanks 👍
Go to my website (see my signature below)
Go to the contact sheet
Send my your email address and I'll send you a Dropbox link where I've loaded the 2.0 version for Mac.

I took the camera out today , focus seems stickier I was getting more flight shot keepers than normal (wide with bird eye priority enabled) Tracking speed 2 with the 200-600 .
Downside spot focus small seems worse for static stuff ,I have this set to back button focus recall . Usually if the camera grabs onto background tapping the spot small gets it to grab subjects in foreground. Today this didn’t work well at all and it just stayed on the foreground.
Other thing I live noticed is faster battery drain , this was at one of my usual locations in usual conditions.
Stabilisation slower shutter speeds seems better

I tried many times , the pre focus recall does not work with my 200-600

I took the camera out today , focus seems stickier I was getting more flight shot keepers than normal (wide with bird eye priority enabled) Tracking speed 2 with the 200-600 .
Downside spot focus small seems worse for static stuff ,I have this set to back button focus recall . Usually if the camera grabs onto background tapping the spot small gets it to grab subjects in foreground. Today this didn’t work well at all and it just stayed on the foreground.
Other thing I live noticed is faster battery drain , this was at one of my usual locations in usual conditions.
Stabilisation slower shutter speeds seems better

I tried many times , the pre focus recall does not work with my 200-600
That's exactly what I experienced this morning with medium and small spot. It is noticeably worse. I was trying to photograph kiglets and had to switch over to zone to acquire focus. Man I really regret updating mine. Did you experience any issues with not being able to power down the camera or the lens stop focusing?

That's exactly what I experienced this morning with medium and small spot. It is noticeably worse. I was trying to photograph kiglets and had to switch over to zone to acquire focus. Man I really regret updating mine. Did you experience any issues with not being able to power down the camera or the lens stop focusing?
No issue regarding power down but I did think the focus hesitated more than usual , once it grabbed onto BIF hit rate was great . I'm quite annoyed about spot small it was something I used a lot and was reliable . Normally one battery lasts me a day , today I got through two !

No issue regarding power down but I did think the focus hesitated more than usual , once it grabbed onto BIF hit rate was great . I'm quite annoyed about spot small it was something I used a lot and was reliable . Normally one battery lasts me a day , today I got through two !
Yeah I never really thought much about it but my battery was down lower than normal as well. I was more disgusted with the focusing issues.

Since the new firmware is allowing creative app, turn off your bluetooth when not in use, this will keep your battery from draining so fast. I had the same issue on my A7-IV.

Reactions: LTK
Back